• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• Member No: 3023
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:34 PM

Does anyone know where to find parts for my gt16?
I live in Montreal, QC

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I googled it and saw several places listed with parts for them. Do you need a whole one? Here's a link to a manual: Sundstrand Model 15 Hydraulic Pump - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#3 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:41 PM

yeah i need the whole thing i rebuilt it but it still has no torque
when i jack it goes forward and reverse pretty fast but it's not strong enugh to push the snowblower on the ground it jerks forward and reverse

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Just gotta ask what oil is in it? Also, did you do an air purge?

#5 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 04:16 PM

i've put hydraulic oil in it but didnt purge air where do you purge it from?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 04:53 PM

i've put hydraulic oil in it but didnt purge air where do you purge it from?

NO NO, not hydraulic oil! It will foam & cause surging. You need to dump the oil & refill with either 30wt motor oil (warmer climates), or what the manual calls for, and likely that's ATF. Hydraulic oil is definitely a no no with these.
  • DeVId said thank you

#7 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:21 PM

so i could use my truck automatic transmission fluid for it? it uses dextron IV i have a 5 gal. pail in the garage.

could it be the reason why i have no torque?

what is the best way for dumping the oil completely other than removing the rear axle?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:46 PM

so i could use my truck automatic transmission fluid for it? it uses dextron IV i have a 5 gal. pail in the garage.

could it be the reason why i have no torque?

what is the best way for dumping the oil completely other than removing the rear axle?

I'm not familiar with the Bolens setup, so hopefully others will chime in. But if the differential carries the hydro fluid as most do, there should be a drain plug somewhere on the rear end. Best to drain, then fill to 1/2 of the recommended amount, then run a couple minutes to push more of the pure hydraulic fluid out, then drain again & fill to the proper level. I say 1/2 full to save dumping as much new fluid. The 15U calls for type "F" ATF fluid. You will have to see if Dexron IV is compatible with type F equipment. I do run Dexron III in my Sundtrand 15U in my John Deere & it's doing fine.

#9 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:54 PM

i've dumped the oil twice and still no power

the tractor goes really fast when the wheels are not on the ground but as soon i pud it down and try to go forward or reverse it goes about 10 feet then stops and then jerks forward

i really don't know what to do....
could it be air in the pump?
is there a way to bleed this pump?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:12 PM

With wheels off the ground in a "no load" situation, even a badly worn hydro will turn the wheels seemingly fine. Actually, this is how I bleed a system, with wheels off the ground & cycling it between forward & reverse, running a few minutes.
I need some history next. Did it get this way slowly, or all of a sudden? If suddenly, then possibly the charge pump has failed. The hydro is not a good pump as far as suction, so the charge pump supplies the hydro pump with oil. If a charge pump fails, with wheels off the ground, the hydro can pull enough oil to turn the wheels fine, and even pull the tractor a little on the ground....but no power. You should be able to test the charge pump pressure through plugged ports on the hydro unit.
So your hydro itself may still be fine, but with a bad charge pump.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Is there anyway this could be sucking air when level but when tipped forwards (rears off ground) it doesn't?

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Is there anyway this could be sucking air when level but when tipped forwards (rears off ground) it doesn't?

Good thought. Not sure on a Bolens but a Massey w/preeless axle would have to be very low on oil before that could happen.

#13 DeVId OFFLINE  

DeVId

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:09 PM

With wheels off the ground in a "no load" situation, even a badly worn hydro will turn the wheels seemingly fine. Actually, this is how I bleed a system, with wheels off the ground & cycling it between forward & reverse, running a few minutes.
I need some history next. Did it get this way slowly, or all of a sudden? If suddenly, then possibly the charge pump has failed. The hydro is not a good pump as far as suction, so the charge pump supplies the hydro pump with oil. If a charge pump fails, with wheels off the ground, the hydro can pull enough oil to turn the wheels fine, and even pull the tractor a little on the ground....but no power. You should be able to test the charge pump pressure through plugged ports on the hydro unit.
So your hydro itself may still be fine, but with a bad charge pump.

sounds like a possible cause.... it was working this summer with the mower but my cam was worn so i couldn't adjust the transmission right... i either had full speed in forward or reverse.... not both.
i took apart this transmission for a gasket and seal rebuild last winter so i'm thinking i might be the problem in this.

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:57 PM

I think we really need to look at the Charge pressure on this unit to start to eliminate things. A 1000 PSI gauge with a 2 foot hose (a grease gun whip)and an 1/8" pipe fitting and we can check both Charge and Implement pressures. If charge pressure is non-exsistance or really low (below 50 PSI) then it is as oldcowhand stated. Let look at that charge pump.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Are you certain that you don't have an axle key stripped out. That would cause a similar symptom.
  • olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks