Garden Tractor Forums banner

Now lining Up Work for Spring and Summer

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mjodrey 
#1 ·
Okay, I know I'm not supposed to do this. My doctor has been clear...I'm supposed to spend my weekends sitting in a lawn chair drinking beer all summer long, only without the beer. No ladders, no shovelling, no heavy lifting, no physical labour. Exercise should be low impact and in a controlled environment.

The thing is that people keep offering to give me money for having fun. So far I've lined up a deck build, some tree planting/flower bed building, and just got offered a chance to turn 1-1/2 acres of pasture into lawn. That should keep me busy until the end of June, being that it's just weekend work.

Then I have to go to Saskatchewan and landscape my mother's new yard. We (when I say we, I mean my brother who understands money and such) moved her house from one little town to another so she could be closer to doctors and further from meth fiends. That doesn't pay, of course...one doesn't charge their mother for such things because mothers pay far in advance...but her new neighbour is wondering about a fence and I think I can squeeze that in.

So how, exactly, does one quit doing this kind of work? I mean, I worked for decades to get these calls. Now it's paying off and I'm supposed to say no? I can't really do that. :confuse:

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, I can only work so slowly. This is weekend work, remember...I got a job driving truck to avoid doing this for a living. The point is that people offer it to me now though. I worked really hard for a long time to get that kind of word of mouth advertising. Now I'm supposed to turn it down. Where were all these offers when I was scrambling for cash?

#7 ·
Oh, I will, Maynard. I've experienced the joys of crutches and canes. So no concrete, no large hard-scaping, no ladders or stairs, no rock gardens. I'll make sure to keep new insoles in my work boots. I've even got a sometime helper lined up for things like post-holes...funny how they want to work once they discover cars, girls and beer. I'm sticking with light work and staying on the tractor as much as possible. And it's only a couple of days a week, not full time.

I am wondering if anybody makes/made a GT-scale stone picker though. I've heard there's some lucrative work in cottage country...

#10 ·
That's a neat looking implement. Interesting!

#14 ·
That does work pretty good, don't think I have enough rocks here to buy one, though.

#15 ·
I hear that they make a machine to do just about every back breaking task that we can come up with! :laughingteeth: An inventive fellow could make a lot of money adapting those to GT work! I hope that you can maintain the "controlled" portion of you paid exercise program Rev!

#16 ·
Reverend Blair said:
So how, exactly, does one quit doing this kind of work? I mean, I worked for decades to get these calls. Now it's paying off and I'm supposed to say no? I can't really do that. :confuse:
Buy yourself a nice white hardhat, get your beer and lawn chair, only without the beer, and supervise. Find a couple youngsters to do the work. It'll cut into your profit, but not your life expectancy. You'll still be getting some extra pocket cash, the youngsters will do the same and learn a trade at the same time. My cousin has a small irrigation business(installs lawn sprinkler systems), and when he needs some extra hands, he hits one of the local bars and always finds a couple guys willing to do a days work for $100 cash.

#18 ·
Reverend Blair said:
...sitting in a chair drinking beer without the beer seems twisted and wrong.
A lawn chair without beer is like Decaf Coffee in the morning. "Twisted and wrong" sums it up :laughingteeth:

On a somewhat related note, I fell asleep this summer in a lawn chair and woke up with a 12 pack of empties in my lap.
Pictures made facebook. Parents couldn't have been prouder... LOL

#19 ·
MH81 said:
A lawn chair without beer is like Decaf Coffee in the morning. "Twisted and wrong" sums it up :laughingteeth:

On a somewhat related note, I fell asleep this summer in a lawn chair and woke up with a 12 pack of empties in my lap.
Pictures made facebook. Parents couldn't have been prouder... LOL
I resemble that remark!

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.