18 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Did the 900 bolens have a center cap on the steering wheel and does anyone have a photo of what it looks like and where you can get one? Also is the maker of the steering wheel a company called HELL? Under mine on the finger grips area there is the name HELL pressed into the wheel. Had 2 other people look to make sure that was what it said and sure enough it does. Can you guys confirm this?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 04:20 PM

The steering wheels were made by Sheller...your other letters must be worn off LOL.
The 900 did have a center steering wheel cap that was red in color. These are a bit hard to find since they were only used on the 900 and 1000 from 64'-65
I think the red caps may have been used on some early LK's as well
'B1000.jpg
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 06:41 PM

The steering wheels were made by Sheller...your other letters must be worn off LOL.
The 900 did have a center steering wheel cap that was red in color. These are a bit hard to find since they were only used on the 900 and 1000 from 64'-65
'[ATTACH=CONFIG]27083[/ATTACH]

thats right they were on the white LKs... and are they rare? i found a N.O.S one at toms for my 1000

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 06:44 PM

thats right they were on the white LKs... and are they rare? i found a N.O.S one at toms for my 1000

I wouldnt consider them rare... Just not something that many people are selling, There's probably a bunch of them out there sitting on a shelf somewhere just waiting to be found

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:13 PM

That tractor sure looks familiar. Oh yeah, now I know where I've seen it. Makes me think it should be our next restoration. Just waiting for my retirement funds to arrive.

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the photo, and the name of the company. We thought there was more but could not make any other letters out. What does LK stand for? I am thinking Lawn King as a guess. Tomarrow I tackle the 2 drive belts. I have been looking at your post on how to change these. Do you realy need to remove the engine bolts and spacers? I have the manual here and they don't mention it.

Edited by redcarkids, December 26, 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:39 PM

Who is Toms? do you think he would have a usedone in good shape?

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the photo, and the name of the company. We thought there was more but could not make any other letters out. What does LK stand for? I am thinking Lawn King as a guess. Tomarrow I tackle the 2 drive belts. I have been looking at your post on how to change these. Do you realy need to remove the engine bolts and spacers? I have the manual here and they don't mention it.

LK means "Lawn Keeper" That is the small articulating Bolens

As for the drive belts, you do not have to remove the engine spacers, since yours is a 3 speed model it will be a bit easier to change the belts.
Just take the high/low idler and lock it in the middle so it takes tension off both belts, then just slide the belts off one at a time. I really need to re type that thread on putting on drive belts.

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Are the steering wheels a hard plastic or bakelite material? Thought I had a center cap today. I was at Sonnybolens place and the boy running it now thought he had some. After looking he could not find any. There was bolens mowers everywhere, parts everywhere, We tracked Bob Mann the owner down in a small town called Pennville. He lead us to his place. The man is very knowledgable about bolens but has let his fathers business literally fall to the ground. Buildings have callapsed to the ground. You could hardly move around in the shop area, no lights, he used a lighter to see parts numbes on the bins. He did come up with a idler pulley. It all matched but the shaft. It was 1 inch long we needed 5/8. We just ground it down to fit. charged us $12.00.

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:10 PM

LK means "Lawn Keeper" That is the small articulating Bolens

As for the drive belts, you do not have to remove the engine spacers, since yours is a 3 speed model it will be a bit easier to change the belts.
Just take the high/low idler and lock it in the middle so it takes tension off both belts, then just slide the belts off one at a time. I really need to re type that thread on putting on drive belts.

I started with taking the battery out to have more room to work. I then took out the belt guards on top. I then followed your instruction for the drive shaft and the houseing around it. I also took off the bottom belt guard. everything was loose enough then for the old belt to come off. The new ones went back on just as fast. Whole job took 2 weeks of worry and 1.5 hours of labor. I spent more time driving around looking for a idler then it took to do the job.
Since you metion the the hi/low idler can be locked in the middle of the belt to remove tension, is this where it should be at idle all the time? Is there a lock position i am not finding on mine?

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 05:06 PM

The idler can be locked to the middle allowing the belts to be released from tension. This allows you to replace the belts and also can be used for easier starting especially in cold weather.
I can show you pictures of mine if need be

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Are the steering wheels a hard plastic or bakelite material? Thought I had a center cap today. I was at Sonnybolens place and the boy running it now thought he had some. After looking he could not find any. There was bolens mowers everywhere, parts everywhere, We tracked Bob Mann the owner down in a small town called Pennville. He lead us to his place. The man is very knowledgable about bolens but has let his fathers business literally fall to the ground. Buildings have callapsed to the ground. You could hardly move around in the shop area, no lights, he used a lighter to see parts numbes on the bins. He did come up with a idler pulley. It all matched but the shaft. It was 1 inch long we needed 5/8. We just ground it down to fit. charged us $12.00.

Yeah its a shame all that stuff is just sitting and rotting. Hopefully someday he decides to sell all the parts to someone.

As for the steering wheels I think they are part plastic and part something else LOL

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:23 PM

The idler can be locked to the middle allowing the belts to be released from tension. This allows you to replace the belts and also can be used for easier starting especially in cold weather.
I can show you pictures of mine if need be

send a photo when you get a chance. I have moved mine and sometimes it seems to get caught in spots going from 1 belt to another. Maybe it trying to work but is wore down or something. While your there show me where your spring to the pto pulley is attached on the right side of the mower if you are sitting on it. My spring has about 4 dog chain links attached to it and it is bolted into one of the bolts i had to take out to change the belts today. It just don't look like a factory job. Was woundering if this was a backyard repair. It works fine for now but I may want to put it back to normal.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'll try and get some pics today.... I may have to use the 850 as a reference as I think Both 800's are packed away for the winter...

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hope these pics help: