• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• Member No: 7841
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:28 AM

I have a couple attachments I am going to weld a slip hitch on unless some one can talk me out of it, I just dont want to cut something up and find out later it was a two wheel tractor sin. I would rather get permission first than try to get forgiveness later, the one I am calling a cultivator with two wheels behind it is the one I am most curious about its intended usage particularly the two wheels behind the cultivator I have ideas but would rather hear from the experts.

IMG_0237.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0236.jpg

Edited by MH81, December 26, 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:22 AM

The one in front is indeed a cultivator. The one behind is a disc or disc harrow, depending where you live. Good for breaking up chunks of soil and preparing smooth seed beds.

The little picture on the right appears to be a spike harrow. It's also good for breaking up chunks of soil.

I have no problem with things being modified to be useful, so my advice is to weld away.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Well i guess there a couple of ways of looking at this. firstly there yours and you can do as you please. Then secondly, if your never going to have the walk-behind to use them on, or never want to feel like you need to go back to orginal, then alter them to fit and get some use out of the parts. Not as if David Bradley did nt make a zillon of the cultivators, and half a zillon of the disc units. If it was something from a Handiman or even another less than common tractor, it would be differnt, and i would advise you to choose another path.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Stimey, I'm glad to see you posting these here. These guys will steer you right. I'm like you, don't want to alter something that may be hard to find. Cool implements, wouldn't mind having some myself. If, by chance, you come across more of them, give me a PM.

#5 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:50 AM

The cultivator has two wheels sticking out the back of it I assume to make rows that could be planted in with seed? I kinda had a big influence made upon me when I was young, worked on my uncles farm every summer for a few years remember plowing and discing, I find excuses to go out and drive my GT just to not look silly just driving, I understand that you should plant your rows based on tractor wheel width etc, etc, that's what brought my attention to the two wheels behind the cultivator.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Those wheels also keep it from just digging down until it gets stuck. Most have a depth adjustment...usually a lever that sets in notches...that allows you to set the depth in increments of an inch or so.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:58 AM

I know the hesitation of cutting on these old units. A year ago, I posted some pics of a mystery disc that I was going to mod for Ryan's tractor, no one spoke up, so I went into cut-bend-weld mode & made them work. A couple months later Casey joined and informed me I had just cut up a rare set of Springfield discs.

At least you have the knowledge of what these are and that there were many made, how many are surviving is another question for the experts.

Edited by MH81, December 26, 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#8 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:12 AM

Yep knowing I wont be cutting up something valued like you disc.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:18 AM

Surviving? well i cut up vators all the itme for the iron to make shop stuff with. Not much in a disc that make something other than a disc, and the harrow is the only one that i wouldnt cut up right away. If you were to sell the parts, a set of wheels from a vator goes for about $30, the 6 shanks/shovel units, for about $25. Most of the time you can buy the whole vator for $25. a disc is usslaly about $50 here and the harrow is a hard one as its an akward item. Some people want one and others walk on by it. I gave my last one away, because i got tired of running my leg into its points moving it. On DB stuff the only important thing is to have the orginal tag on the attachment, as ones without it arent worth much.

Kenny i have several of the vators hanging around here. There are the most common thing to find on a DB.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:18 AM

Weren't most of those discs 4 disc per side? I wonder if that's the deluxe version or am I thinking about the ones for the riders?

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:29 AM

yes the late model rider ones used 5 blades per side, ussally on a white or black frame work. I think they sold them as a 40" disc.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Kenny i have several of the vators hanging around here. There are the most common thing to find on a DB.

I'd like to have one, just shipping would cost a bunch. Course, Pumpkintoter makes a run coming from your direction to here. HMMMMM! Expect a PM!

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I think the pics answer a question for me. Looks like I have a David Bradley sleeve hitch spike harrow.

#14 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 02:06 PM

Reverend blair cleared it up for me the wheels were depth control on the DB with my three point hitch I think I might be able to set them up as rows for seeds also as as depth control suppose they were intended for both anyways? The disc in the pics was built as a rider type sleeve hitch I think about 1975, I went out and tore everything apart hopefully by the end of the week I will have everything sleeve hitched and ready to go.

#15 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:09 AM

IMG_0239.jpg Here is my Davis Bradley sleeve hitch conversion, it worked out pretty good I will be done with my cultivator this week end.