• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

chiefgoodman

• Member No: 6021
  • 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Looks good. Judging by the red wheels looks like a 68. Is this true?

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I think it is a 68. I remember teasing my wife about bring back something that is only 44 years old, since she was also born in 1968. I'll try to post the serial number.

502904 appears to be the start of production in 1968, with roughly 4047 units built. With a serial number of 503566, that would put this unit around the end of the first quarter if assembly ran at a steady pace.

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 003.jpg

Edited by HowardsMF155, December 26, 2011 - 09:57 PM.
Added picture of serial #

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:19 PM

I was looking at the serial numbers and wondering about the marketing role of the 12 vs the 10. It appears that the 12 would have been added as the top-of-the-line product when it came out in 1967, following the release of it's smaller sibling, the 10, in 1966. I suppose the main reason for upping the horsepower was to run the hydro. Anyway, with the extra power and the smooth and simple hydro, this unit must have been king of the hill until 1972, when the MF 14 made it's appearance. Watching the serial numbers, the MF10 must have been discontinued for several years, as it was not built in 72, 73, and 74. With the MF14 apparently the flagship of the line, the 12 must have been relegated to a slightly lower place, and was produced as a variable speed drive, where it remained until the lines ended in 1976. What was it about the introduction of the MF 16 in 1975 that caused Massey to reintroduce the MF 10? Was it that appealing to have such a close range of horsepower models?

Howard

#19 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:11 AM

All those clones need some choke... My Duromax GX Clone is the same, cold or hot it always wants at least half choke to pop her off, then it runs great after that. Its been that way since it came out of the box. Mine has electric start however, makes it easier to pop off!

#20 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 02:54 AM

I was looking at the serial numbers and wondering about the marketing role of the 12 vs the 10. It appears that the 12 would have been added as the top-of-the-line product when it came out in 1967, following the release of it's smaller sibling, the 10, in 1966. I suppose the main reason for upping the horsepower was to run the hydro. Anyway, with the extra power and the smooth and simple hydro, this unit must have been king of the hill until 1972, when the MF 14 made it's appearance. Watching the serial numbers, the MF10 must have been discontinued for several years, as it was not built in 72, 73, and 74. With the MF14 apparently the flagship of the line, the 12 must have been relegated to a slightly lower place, and was produced as a variable speed drive, where it remained until the lines ended in 1976. What was it about the introduction of the MF 16 in 1975 that caused Massey to reintroduce the MF 10? Was it that appealing to have such a close range of horsepower models?

Howard

Good question Howard. Maybe someone found a box full of MF10 parts in the
corner, and they figured they might as well sell them.:smile1:

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi Kb,

I think I'm going to go back to my first post and clarify something there. The 420cc predator DOES HAVE ELECTRIC START! I simply haven't installed and wired up a battery. I will also need to decide whether to keep the new key station that the engine came with, or whether to try and sort out the engine wiring to make it match up to the dash panel. But with the long delay, the installation of a new motor, repair and rebuilding of the front axle, the repair of the hydro.......I couldn't keep waiting before firing up the engine and taking it for a spin.

All those clones need some choke... My Duromax GX Clone is the same, cold or hot it always wants at least half choke to pop her off, then it runs great after that. Its been that way since it came out of the box. Mine has electric start however, makes it easier to pop off!

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hi Doug,

Yes, I read your article several times before spending the money on a new engine. I'm glad you spent the time writing it up and making it available. I have an HH120 Tecumseh which would be more or less correct for this tractor, but it was tired and needed a rebuild. I would have had to pay for a lot of the work as well, since I don't have machine shop facilities, and it looked like I might not be able to replace everything I wanted to make the rebuild "bulletproof". So after reading your article carefully several times, I decided to spend my limited funds on a brand new engine. Hopefully, getting the hood on won't be a deal breaker.

Good stuff, I did 2 conversions my self using the 13hp 390cc engine, power is the same as the HH120s, yours you would notice a little more power.
I found that even when the engine is warm it needed a bit of choke to get going and they are a hard pull to start with the pull start.
Here's what I did>Garden Tractor Talk - Repowering a Massey Ferguson MF10 or MF12 with a Honda Clone

• DH1 said thank you

#23 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I've been using this tractor to plow and disc, and today I decided it was time to try installing a mower deck and seeing if that worked. I have to say, this is the first time I've used a hydro to mow with, and I LIKED IT! The china motor had plenty of power to run the deck in the tall grass and could in fact handle full speed on the hydro. I'll never mow that fast again in my yard, but what performance. Here is a picture and I took a short video as well.

Never mind the video, first time I used my phone, video is much poorer quality than pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12 with deck.jpg

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 27, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Good news. Yes, cutting with a hydro is a joy. I really like the foot pedal control style.
It leaves your hands free to do other things, like steer, swat flies, wave, scratch, sip, etc.
  • HowardsMF155 and sacsr have said thanks

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Had some time the other day and decided I wanted to install a new seat.
GE 001.JPG GE 002.JPG
I found that none of the ones available locally would mount directly to the existing mounting plate, so I decided to pay a bit more and buy an adjustable model. So the new seat needed an adaptor to mount to the old seat mount. Here you can see the misalignment of the parts.
GE 003.JPG

I cut some flat steel bar and drilled it to attach to the old mount, then drilled it to attach to the new seat. Here is the mounted product.
GE 005.JPG

And here is the finished product, both all the way forward and all the way back. The tractor feels vastly different now, as my legs can stretch out comfortably and it sits slightly higher, as well as further back.
GE 004.JPG GE 006.JPG

Next project is to get the choke control mounted on the dash and the key switch working as well.
  • sacsr and jpegram have said thanks

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hopefully, getting the hood on won't be a deal breaker.

Getting the hood on this tractor has not been easy.  Mainly, it hasn't been a high priority, but some of the work needed has not been easy for me.  However, over the last two weeks, I've managed to manufacture an exhaust adapter that will work.

GEDC0023.JPG

Even this was not enough clearance, so I carefully bent the sides of the shrouds since I really didn't want to cut any sheet metal.

GEDC0004.JPG

Notice the carefully machined shim (1/2 inch nut) LOL

I don't have any pictures, but on the side opposite the exhaust, there is a tab to hold a rod that keeps the hood from over-rotating.  The air cleaner it that, and there was no way to adjust that, so I had to remove the tab.  Once all the mods were completed, the front grill went on and was a close fit to the rest of the engine.  I then put the hood on and just stared.  IT LOOKS GREAT!!

GEDC0002.JPG GEDC0005.JPG GEDC0001.JPG

• DH1, sacsr and MFDAC have said thanks

#27 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Good fit yours fits better than mine did I had to cut the front grill for the exhaust, and you got a 420cc motor mine is a 390cc motor.

• HowardsMF155 and MFDAC have said thanks

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:26 PM

The 390 and 420 almost certainly have the same block and overall dimensions, the 420 is simply bored out more.

I spoke with a Lifan rep, those engines are available at Home Depot and was asking about overall engine dimensions.  His reply was that the 11, 13, and 15 horse models (?, 390,420 cc's respectively) were all the same dimensions outside.  Made it easy to chose the 420, I just bought it at Harbor Freight to save around $100.00.  
:)

• MFDAC said thank you

#29 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Did more to this tractor today.  The last time I used it, it sort of wrecked the deck drive belt.  When I finally thought to look underneath at the mule drive, I found that if was not  even close to lined up.  

GEDC0011.JPG

Now, I've already replaced the original bolt and sleeve tube arrangement, but there is still enough wear in the mounting holes apparently for the mule drive to twist.

GEDC0014.JPG

So, I decided to re-align the holes.  First, I gathered my tools:

GEDC0012.JPG GEDC0013.JPG

Then I heated the "U" bracket as close to red hot as I could get it on both sides, put the heavy iron bar to it and started hammering away.  Eventually it moved enough to look fairly straight.

GEDC0017.JPG

So I put the new belt on and tried it out.  Seems to work pretty good now, but I wanted to sharpen the blades, so I pulled the deck off the tractor and sharpened them up.

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC0016.JPG

• MH81, sacsr and MFDAC have said thanks

#30 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Spent some time today continuing to fine tune this tractor.  Love to operate this machine.  Anyway, with things coming together, I decided it was time to finish off the exhaust and put the hood on.  So, I spent some time fabricating an exhaust bracket support:

GEDC0023.JPG GEDC0025.JPG GEDC0028.JPG GEDC0029.JPG

I attached a piece of angle iron to the engine, then arranged some straight steel I had to converge on the exhaust clamp.  Then I used my torches to braze the steel rather than drag out the welding equipment.  Then it was time to see how the hood fit.GEDC0021.JPG

GEDC0022.JPG GEDC0026.JPG

• DH1, MH81, sacsr and 1 other said thanks