51 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:01 PM

So, it is Christmas. I got up this morning, ohhhed and ahhhhed over all the children's toys, fixed Breakfast (Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and biscuits, if you must know) fed my family and my in-laws, showed off photos and videos, and helped my kids ride the used dirt bike my wife bought ME (for them) and was a pretty involved Dad. But around 3 this afternoon, everyone had either gone home or gone to their rooms to nap and I found some time for myself.

I have said it before, but to recap, I went to the dump to drop off some scrap and there was this forlorn looking Massey, with.....A HYDRO HANDLE! Well, that had to come home, so on the trailer it went. Over time, I put in a temporary engine, checked out the operation of the hydro and fixed the leak that showed up at the fwd/reverse control under the seat. The wife allowed me to buy a 420 cc Predator engine from Harbor Freight, with free replacement warranty, and that engine has been installed for a few months. However, I never finished aligning the pulley and the steering arm needed to be installed since I had finished rebuilding the front axle.

Special Thanks To "IamSherwood" for contributing the replacement steering arm after my original cracked at the keyway.

So with some free time, I went out and finished aligning the pulley on the new predator engine. Put oil in the crank case, gas in the tank, and the engine was ready to go. The original bushing on the fwd/rvs control had deep groves worn in it, so I replaced it with a hardened steel ball bearing. I carefully jacked up the rear on the tractor so there would be no surprises, and cranked the engine. A few pulls and the engine cranked up! The hydro needed some slight adjustment so that neutral was really neutral, then it was off the jack and around the yard! Instant forward, reverse, slow and fast all right at hand. I even eased up to a big maple tree in the yard and spun the wheels! Crawled down and back up over the curb, it's hard to finesse the 12G that way.

Here are some pics to enjoy. Lots of work to do, but IT LIVES!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 126 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 123 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 120 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 124 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 128 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 125 (1024x768).jpg
  • GE 121 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by HowardsMF155, December 25, 2011 - 08:00 PM.

• Cvans, boyscout862, icecream4070 and 1 other said thanks

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Don't you love it when it all come together.
You have a darn nice tractor there.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:37 PM

That's why I love a hydro, such infinite control & you can ease around without jerky movement. Great to see another Massey saved!

#4 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Lots of work to do, but IT LIVES!!!

Hey, it's a real good start! How's that engine as far as power?

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I can't really tell anything about the power. It's rated as a 15 Hp by Harbor Freight. I CAN tell you that it is impossible to pull start unless you turn the ignition key into the "On" position :wallbanging: . The engine runs smoothly, wants a bit of choke to start, and so far hasn't shown any bad manners. It is easy enough to pull start once you turn the key on, though I wouldn't want to try it when it's real cold.

I WANT TO CLARIFY SOMETHING HERE: This engine DOES have elctric start! At this time I have not yet hooked up a battery nor rebuilt the wiring. The engine does have a pull start, so I decided to try that out once everything mechanical was assembled. Had the engine been balky, I probably would have found a way to jump start it. I have been waiting to drive this tractor since July and I'm not always a patient person.
END EDIT

I don't really have any attachments for it yet, though I could swap out the deck from my 12G. I also have a lead on another deck that I may yet obtain, budget permitting. I also have a plan to build a 3 point hitch, mountable either rear OR front, and finding a way to adapt my many Gravely attachments to the tractor. That would give me a 30 inch heavy brush hog, a snow blade, a tiller, and possibly the rotary plow :rolling: . Sickle bar mower mounted sideways would help trim bushes and what-not too. I also have a 40 inch deck I could mount on the rear that would make that Massey look just like it's full size. Now, whether my metal fabbing skills are up to the challenge, is another question.

Howard

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 27, 2012 - 08:49 PM.
Added electric start

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Don't you love it when it all come together.
You have a darn nice tractor there.

It IS a nice tractor. Either someone took care of it for a long time, or someone started a restore and didn't finish. What gets me a little now, if you notice there was a sleeve hitch on it at one time, the rock shaft is still there. It also had the attachement points for the helper springs, which means that at some point there was a tiller being used with this tractor. Since it was at a scrap yard, I fear that the tiller was already gone. And since I was travelling some distance from home when I found it, I can't easily go back and look.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Good to see you brought it back to life.:thumbs:
Hood looks to be in really good condition.

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:18 AM

Good you got a little time to kick it off. Always makes you feel good to hear one fire up for the first time. Enjoy.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Good you got a little time to kick it off. Always makes you feel good to hear one fire up for the first time. Enjoy.

:ditto:

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Howard, I'm happy to hear this great news. Yes, turning the key to 'on' does help, thankfully all mine have a starter on them. :rofl2:
Have fun with it and when you start fabbing things, post them up. Lots of good advice to be had in that department here.

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Let's see if I can post some video links here:

Cranking the Massey - YouTube

The above video is of me cranking the engine. Note the ease and sucess granted by the simple device of turning on the key.

Massey hydro revived - YouTube

This video is a short walk around with me voiceing some high points. Also, son Ryan makes sure the tractor is good to go.

Howard
  • DH1 said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for sharing, cool vids. The first one was real good of the 'big kid with a new toy'. Your son sure was checking it out.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Great job and perserverance in getting running at all!
For some reason the newer gx390s and clones like this predator want choke to start all the time - even warm. I've noticed that myself.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Great news you were able to save another one.
Boy, your son really likes your new Massey. "Every tractor is his tractor" LOL

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Good stuff, I did 2 conversions my self using the 13hp 390cc engine, power is the same as the HH120s, yours you would notice a little more power.
I found that even when the engine is warm it needed a bit of choke to get going and they are a hard pull to start with the pull start.
Here's what I did>Garden Tractor Talk - Repowering a Massey Ferguson MF10 or MF12 with a Honda Clone