9 replies to this topic

#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I got down to the transmission. Only took about half an hour. I took off the cover and moved the gears around. Feels like theres about 1/16th of an inch play all around. Audio's not good, but you can hear it rattle and see that it looks hinky.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 02:14 PM

i would say they need to be done then, could be a lot worse but it could be a lot better. also could you take a pic of the bottom of the shifter cover? with it apart it might be a good time to repair the shifter if it needs to be done.

#3 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 02:30 PM

I tried, but my camera won't focus well enough to take a good picture. I think the shifter is in good shape. Its edges are not rounded. It shifts smoothly. Forks look good. I'll take some pictures next week with my good camera (left it at work).

i would say they need to be done then, could be a lot worse but it could be a lot better. also could you take a pic of the bottom of the shifter cover? with it apart it might be a good time to repair the shifter if it needs to be done.

#4 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 03:29 PM

I will agree that, that is quite a bit of play and needs new bearings. When you get the transmission out, there is a bushing in the flywheel behind the clutch plate that holds the other end of the shaft to keep it from stressing the 13 roller bearings too much and with that much play there is a good chance it is worn out. Good opportunity to check clutch plate wear.:D

My transmission was very loud and anerving before I had the shaft re-machined and all new bearings. But it had a bit more play than yours because mine has a bushing instead of the 13 roller bearings and the bushing was VERY worn. With all new parts in mine I still have a very small smidgen of movement which I think is normal unless you can find a brand spanking new one.

Take care and Merry Chrismas to you.
  • fort apache said thank you

#5 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for your insight. I'm going to proceed tomorrow. Christmas wears me out!

I will agree that, that is quite a bit of play and needs new bearings. When you get the transmission out, there is a bushing in the flywheel behind the clutch plate that holds the other end of the shaft to keep it from stressing the 13 roller bearings too much and with that much play there is a good chance it is worn out. Good opportunity to check clutch plate wear.:D

My transmission was very loud and anerving before I had the shaft re-machined and all new bearings. But it had a bit more play than yours because mine has a bushing instead of the 13 roller bearings and the bushing was VERY worn. With all new parts in mine I still have a very small smidgen of movement which I think is normal unless you can find a brand spanking new one.

Take care and Merry Chrismas to you.

#6 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Got the transmission out with little difficulty. I just removed the mounting bolts for the motor, took off the hydraulic pump, and slid the motor package forward until the shaft was clear. Took less than two hours.

With the transmission out, the bad bearings are really evident. When I twist one of the shafts at its end, the other end moves elliptically about a half inch!

Clutch looks great. I will get a mic and measure the splines in there to make sure it isn't washed out from the transmission play. The coupler on the drive shaft which connects the pinion gear is pretty much shot. The splines on the pinion gear look unaffected, though I may have to measure them to make sure.

The throwout bearing may need repPk stripped 1.jpg I'm going to clean up the transmission and get it ready for packaging tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• PK drivetrain 1.jpg

#7 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Looks like you are making some good progress. I see you were able to move the engine without removing the hood. That's great and I'll have to remember that. I wasn't sure, because mine doesn't have a hood, but the hood mounts on my PK are welded to the frame in front of the motor. Mine did have a different hood though.

You might be able to find a coupler for the drive shaft on Ebay. There are a few guys on there who just buy up PK's and part them out. Here is one on there right now. Little pricey, I'd say but I haven't payed much attention to the prices on one of these before so it may not be far off. Hopefully someone else will chime in with experience.
Economy Power King 2418 Tractor Driveshaft Coupler | eBay

#8 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 02:03 PM

Oh my... That does seem high for what it is. I'll price a new one. I'm guessing its probably twice as much. Got to get one though. I'll try to cross reference it and see if it has another application on a different machine.

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 02:08 PM

looks good, glad to hear you made quick work of it. i see you noticed you can leave the hood on, seams like after you unhook the battery wires and hydraulics it comes off in a chunk, very smart on your part. i dont have any info on the coupler but ill pm you a list of pk guys that might have one cheaper.

#10 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for looking out Ryan.

looks good, glad to hear you made quick work of it. i see you noticed you can leave the hood on, seams like after you unhook the battery wires and hydraulics it comes off in a chunk, very smart on your part. i dont have any info on the coupler but ill pm you a list of pk guys that might have one cheaper.