6 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:50 PM

I'm kind of considering a chipper/shredder to put on my 3 pt. I'm actually more interested in the shredder than the chipper, since larger wood ends up in the fire pit. The little stuff ends up in a pile though, since we don't need much kindling (I'm a big believer in diesel as fire starter) and manages to be in the way all the time.

So I know I need a 2000 RPM one that fits on a cat. 0, but I know nothing else about these things. The only one I've ever used was a big commercial tow-behind a truck kind. It chewed through just about everything big, but did poorly on the small stuff. What do I look for in the way of teeth, gear ratios etc.? What are decent brands?

Mrs. Rev suggested a cheap gas powered one, which I could likely get for under $500, but doesn't seem as fun as having one mounted on the 3 point. It might be a decent option though, since Mrs. Rev could use it when I'm not here. Also, I could get it to dump into the tractor bucket for easy clean-up. It would be another engine to maintain though, and I already have too many engines that see only occasional use.

The other thing I was wondering is if I could find a broken stand-alone one and hook up a pulley to run it off the two-wheeler. That would solve the too many engines problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or advice would be cool.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Can't give you any suggestions on a 3pt chipper , I've used the old large" chuck and duck " chippers . Those left the chips too large for what I wanted in the garden . Had a large pile of those chip and ran them through my Rot0-Hoe Chipper/Shredder using the shredder opening as fast as you could feed it it would shred them into nice mulch for around the plants . The chipper part of it doesn't work too well .It only uses 1 cutter on the flywheel and it very slow . I have another MTD chipper shredder and that has 2 blades on the flywheel and does a little better . If you had a lot of brush to chip the small ones will do the job but will take a long time to do it . Al0326111526.jpg
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 12:18 PM

I don't have a 3 point or pto to run one and have had a lot of brush and smaller wood to clean up so purchased this chipper from Tractor Supply
Earthquake 9070300 Chipper/ Shredder - 2152405 | Tractor Supply Company
Been very happy with it, great for brush and I've run 2-3" soft wood thru it with no problems. Grinds it down fine enough to use as mulch. We have had it for 2 + seasons and probably have 40+ hrs run time with no issues. My wife has no problem starting it herself so she can set it up and use it on her own if she wants to.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, looks like we're going with a stand-alone. Mrs. Rev was not happy with my idea of finding something broken and attaching the two-wheeler to it. Seems she is uncomfortable with all those pulleys and belts. Guess I'll start the Kijiji search.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:28 AM

As others have said if you have a lot of brush it's really slow to use a small 5hp shredder. I would think something in the 9hp range would be a lot faster.

#6 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 02:17 PM

I bought this 10 HP off CL for about 1/2 new price:

GARDEN TRACTORS 670 (Small).jpg

It's been well cared for & works well for up to 2+ limbs. ~~ grnspot

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:57 PM

As others have said if you have a lot of brush it's really slow to use a small 5hp shredder. I would think something in the 9hp range would be a lot faster.

I sent an e-mail to a guy selling an 8 H.P. this morning. He's got somebody who might buy it at the end of January though, so he'll get back to me if that falls through. I have plenty of time though...the branches aren't going anywhere and I'm not chipping or shredding anything until spring anyway.