Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with Simplicity Coronet 13 rear engine rider.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hey guys,
A coworker got this Simplicity for free. It is in excellent condition and is perfect for what he needs. I got it running but I am having a problem with getting it moving. The problem I am having is as soon as I let the clutch out to drive as it is engaging the hydro unit it wants to stall. Same thing with the blade pto, as soon as you go to engage it, it wants to shut off. I don't know if something is locked up as I didn't get that far. I know where the hydro release lever is so you can push it so I know it isn't that.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Not acting like key shut off, stumbles, then dies? Was thinking maybe some sort of safety switch if it dies instantly, but if it's stumbling instead, I'd say carb issues.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Ya I think it is the carb, the thing sat for I don't know how long. We replaced the key switch because the old one was burnt. The starter hangs a little after starting but seems to be getting better now that it is getting some use. We will have to get a carb gasket kit. We got a fuel line and filter for it. I just gotta drain the gas.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:03 PM

I wanted to add that it is definitely not a safety switch. I can keep it running after it all but stalls by pushing the clutch back in before it dies completely.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:28 PM

If running lean due to dirty carb, it takes very little load to make them fall on their face. A good cleaning should do the trick, being it does run now.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:49 PM

You might be able to back out the adjustment scews and use a set of oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaners to poke in the holes and knock a bit of scrap loose. The tip cleaners work real well when you have the carb apart and need to clean out all those little jets and holes.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 09:07 PM

You might be able to back out the adjustment scews and use a set of oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaners to poke in the holes and knock a bit of scrap loose. The tip cleaners work real well when you have the carb apart and need to clean out all those little jets and holes.

If running lean due to dirty carb, it takes very little load to make them fall on their face. A good cleaning should do the trick, being it does run now.

:ditto: :ditto:

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 21, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Well I got the carb all apart and cleaned up real good. Still no go. I am going to try putting a timing light on it and see if spark stops when I release the clutch pedal, that should tell me if it is a safety switch or not. I just can't see it being a safety switch as I have the one for under the seat jumpered for the time being and it starts and runs, just if I let the clutch out it dies and I can press the clutch back in and I can keep it running and the same with the pto switch, pull it out and it wants to shut off, push it in and I can keep it running. It is either a safety switch or something is bound.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 21, 2010 - 02:02 PM

Just pull the kill wire off the engine, then test. That will rule out any & all safety switches.

#10 Tomkin OFFLINE  

Tomkin

• Member No: 1034
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 05:54 AM

I had a cornet where the bearings on the coutch pulley were partially frozen. I would suggest you chek it for freedom of movement.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I forgot to update this thread. We did get it running good, combination of plugged carb and one of the safety switches. The other problem was it didn't want to drive until we finally rolled it enough and the hydro tranny finally kicked in. Every time you would pull the tranny release so you could push it, it would take forever to reengage. The bad thing about it is the tranny is a sealed type and no way of topping it off. The owner has been mowing with it since and he says it is doing the job. I told him to just keep mowing with it till it won't move any more because of loosing too much fluid then he can decide if it is worth it to him to put a new tranny in it or not.

#12 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 18, 2010 - 07:07 PM

Sounds like a valve problem to me