Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Plow -Trac mower restoration Project, and a few questions.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Well we have been blessed with some unusually warm weather as of late so I decided to get a jump on my spring project. Restoring the sicklebar mower for my Wards Plow Trac. I dismantled the unit and sandblasted the pieces. They then recieved 2 coats of primer and 3 finish coats of paint. I used AC orange, it is about as close as I have found to the origional. Pictures say 1000 words so here are a bunch.
IMGP1731.jpg IMGP1731.jpg

IMGP1746.jpg

Now a few questions: You can see the woggled out drive hole. I am planing to make a steel bushing that will accept a sleve bearing and welding that over the woggled out hole. ( I know that is not a question). There is a lot of up and down play between the cutter bar and the fingers. To remove the play do you bend the tabs down? ( see last photo) Finally does anyone have a photo or illustration of the linkage to hook the mower to the tractor? I have the lever and the rod on the tractor thats all. I am going to have to invent the idler and linkage.

There are still a few things to do in the spring, it is just getting too cold to want to hold metal things in your hands. I am going to replace all of the nuts and bolts. They are at the point that if they ever get rusty again they will never come out. Linkage and belt next. Then a final coat of paint.

Thanks to Lauber for helping to make this project possible! I look forward to mowing in the Spring. Happy holidays to all!
Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP1732.jpg
  • IMGP1735.jpg
  • IMGP1739.jpg
  • IMGP1742.jpg
  • IMGP1743.jpg
  • IMGP1744.jpg

Edited by DougT, December 23, 2011 - 02:23 PM.
Move Pics

#2 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi, I need help from a moderator please. I wanted to put all of the photos in the big space between the 1st and second paragraph. I can't seem to make that happen. The two that are there should be the last 2 images. Thanks!

#3 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Their is an owners manual on the yahoo simplicity group with a detailed drawing and parts list,here is the link.You may have to join the group to view it. http://groups.yahoo....MW Attachments/

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:42 PM

Gotcha fixed, Steve. Just for your info, you can do that yourself. Kind of a drag and drop situation.
  • steve b said thank you

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 01:08 PM

well that certainly looks differnt than the one i sent out there.

#6 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 04:50 PM

New Restorer,
Joining that Yahoo group looks like a real pain. Can you forward the info? I have a manual but it looks nothing like the unit I have. There must have been many different models.
Thanks,
Steve