19 replies to this topic

#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I called Olympic Gear in Twinsberg Ohio and spoke to them about my transmission. The tech said the transmission will make noise, but it should not be very loud. He said likely the bearings are bad.

I'm going to pull the pan and check them out this weekend. I'll post a pic, and try to get a video up of the tractor running so you can hear the noise. I'd like to hear what you think.

The bad news is, the bearings cost about $100. The good news is, I can ship the transmission to Olympic Gear and they'll rebuild it for the price of the parts plus $50 plus return shipping.

He said its a simple job, but I'd rather pay the $50 and let the pros do it.

Good chance I'll have that tractor apart this weekend. My wife is gonna be p****d!

"You just bought that and you're taking it apart already!?"

Nah. Shes really good to me.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:21 PM

My Mother used to say that sort of thing to me..."I just bought that for you and you had to tear it apart just to see how it worked!?!?" Of course, back then I did have a little trouble getting things back together and functional LOL! That sounds like a great deal for a rebuild on your tranny. Will they go through the whole thing, or just replace the bearings?

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,243 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:41 PM

i thought it would be about 150-175 for just bearings, but i haven't looked into it much. 150 to have somebody do it for you doesn't seem bad if it has to be done. personally i would do it myself, just because i love working on things and i like to know how things work but that's just me. make sure to take pics of the tear down, they are pretty simple and straight forward but its good to have good references anyway. also post the pics of it apart if you want, might help somebody else and somebody could see something "bad" that could otherwise go unseen. if you take it apart that much you mine as well repaint it...

#4 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Ha! I'm not guilty of that. I reluctantly take things apart. I prefer just to use them. They will tear it down of course, and examine the components. He said they will replace the bearings, gaskets, etc. Anything else that might need replaced, they will email me photos of the defective part and wait for my approval before continuing.

My Mother used to say that sort of thing to me..."I just bought that for you and you had to tear it apart just to see how it worked!?!?" Of course, back then I did have a little trouble getting things back together and functional LOL! That sounds like a great deal for a rebuild on your tranny. Will they go through the whole thing, or just replace the bearings?

#5 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:39 PM

He quoted the bearings, and the assembly, so that's what I'll go by. I'm either getting a fair deal -- or setting myself up for a screwin' but I doubt it very much. I feel good about it. They are legit in the crosley and speedex community, and theres many references to them in the Yahoo PK group.

I'll take pictures of the tear down for reference. I don't know about the paintin' though! I'm not set up for that. When I build my new barn, with a concrete floor and woodstove in there, I'll really enjoy my wrenching. I'll be taking this apart in my addition I've built, but have'nt finished yet.

I need to remove the engine to take out the tranny you said?

i thought it would be about 150-175 for just bearings, but i haven't looked into it much. 150 to have somebody do it for you doesn't seem bad if it has to be done. personally i would do it myself, just because i love working on things and i like to know how things work but that's just me. make sure to take pics of the tear down, they are pretty simple and straight forward but its good to have good references anyway. also post the pics of it apart if you want, might help somebody else and somebody could see something "bad" that could otherwise go unseen. if you take it apart that much you mine as well repaint it...

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,243 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:53 PM

yes you have to take off everything in front of the tranny, that includes, clutch, bell housing, flywheel, engine, grill, dash, hood, hydraulic pump, some hydraulic lines, starter, bunch of electrics, seat, body tunnel and a few small things.

before taking the transmission out it will basically have to be torn down to this (with the acceptation of the wheels and maybe the fenders), the transmission was not removed in this pic yet. as you can see, that is plenty enough apart to paint it. most people leave the engine in and just take off all the sheet metal. i dont have much for painting either, just rattle cans outside, or a few have been done in my dad's old warehouse.
024.jpg

#7 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 10:13 PM

I've taken on worse mechanickin' jobs. And avoided worse. My heater core went out in my Ranger last weekend. To replace it is a seven hour job. Complete removal of dash, steering column, and ac unit. I said, ahhhh no.

I have 300,000 miles on that truck. I am not wasting my precious hours of my life on such an onerous task when it could collapse with exhaustion at any time. I just bypassed the heater core and bought an electric heater! Problem solved...

yes you have to take off everything in front of the tranny, that includes, clutch, bell housing, flywheel, engine, grill, dash, hood, hydraulic pump, some hydraulic lines, starter, bunch of electrics, seat, body tunnel and a few small things.

before taking the transmission out it will basically have to be torn down to this (with the acceptation of the wheels and maybe the fenders), the transmission was not removed in this pic yet. as you can see, that is plenty enough apart to paint it. most people leave the engine in and just take off all the sheet metal. i dont have much for painting either, just rattle cans outside, or a few have been done in my dad's old warehouse.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26844[/ATTACH]

#8 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:02 AM

All you should need to do is remove the PK hood and the seat pan(which involves the throttle cables, wires, etc on the hood and , seat, battery and whatever else is on the seat pan). This should let you get access to your transmission if you want to take a look inside like I would always do.:D

Power+King+beginning+of+tear+down+March+30th+2009+014.jpg

Power+King+beginning+of+tear+down+March+30th+2009+006.jpg

Then you can unbolt the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing.

(there should be a picture here but I couldn't find one)

Then unbolt the engine and slide it forward clear of the transmissions input shaft(or as clear of it as you can get) and then you should be able to unbolt the transmission from the torque tube and finagle it out. Theoretically this should work but I know it didn't does always go as planned.

Then if you are still having fun you can then remove the eight bolts holding the bell housing cover thingy (can't remember the real name) and remove that to check the throwout bearing, wear on the clutch fingers, etc.
Power+King+beginning+of+tear+down+March+30th+2009+022.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg
If I have missed anything or any misinformation someone please speak up.

It sounds like a decent deal to have your transmission rebuilt by the pro's.
Good Luck.
  • fort apache said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,243 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:21 AM

I completly forgot you could remove it in one big peice, removing it in 1 big peice shouldn't take anyere near the amount of time it would be too take everything off seperatly.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,554 Thanks
  • 7,302 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 10:04 AM

check the throwout bearing, wear on the clutch fingers, etc

Good advice :thumbs: The throw out bearing went bad and it ruined the fingers on the pressure plate on mine , :wallbanging: Al

#11 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 02:41 PM

This was very informative. Thanks a lot!

#12 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,069 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:51 PM

Check the splines on the clutch disc,that is a common problem on these tractors.I have seen many discs with bad splines that you could still read the part number on the lining.
  • Alc and Lovintractorin have said thanks

#13 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Check the splines on the clutch disc,that is a common problem on these tractors.I have seen many discs with bad splines that you could still read the part number on the lining.

:ditto: My splines were very worn but still usable until the clutch went shortly after I checked them.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,554 Thanks
  • 7,302 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:05 PM

I have seen many discs with bad splines that you could still read the part number on the lining.

Have any idea what would cause the splines to wear so much ? The only thing I could think would be a miss match between the flywheel bell housing Thanks Al

#15 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Have any idea what would cause the splines to wear so much ? The only thing I could think would be a miss match between the flywheel bell housing Thanks Al

Or if the bushing that holds the other end of the input shaft in the flywheel was worn allowing the input shaft to wobble a little.
  • Alc said thank you