Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 08:24 PM

There is a tin plate that goes on the hydro lever, it will look similar to the one on the rock shaft in the picture I posted. Also WHY!?!?!? Would anybody butcher the frame like that, I don't think that will br to hard to fix. As far the belt tightener, the factory size belt isn't hard to find, I use one I bought at NAPA, it's a 3/8 X 31.

Edited by Amigatec, December 24, 2011 - 08:30 PM.

• Jkrogers said thank you

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Here is where I buy a lot of mine.

http://http://ccspec..._holddowns.html

Here is the part you need for the hydro lever.

* *IH Cub Cadet *Hydro Release Lever NLA from MTD PN/ IH-545728-R1
Built much heavier/stronger than original
*$20.00

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thank-you for the pictures. Nice looking 149. Your pictures are a big help. Where do you locate parts?

It was not in good shape then, I just about have it finished now.

#19 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• Member No: 7856
  • 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 09:02 PM

I don't know. My guess is access. Most of the pto is gone. They had it rigged to an old car generator and completely changed the pto. I want to get it running first then tackle that. Thanks for the lead on the parts. I really appreciate it. Merry Christmas!

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:19 AM

Jkrogers, I'm glad Amigatec posted the pics. My daughter borrowed the camera again and I didn't get pics. After looking at yours, I am not happy to see the destruction on it. You are missing a few things there. I scanned a few pages out of my parts manual so you can see what all is missing. There were two different PTO clutches available depending on the serial #. I scanned both so you would have part #'s. My opinion would be to look for a donor tractor that you could get most all of these parts, maybe a frame swap. Anyway, here's the pics.
IHF40.jpg
Hope this helps. I'll see about getting some measurements of the piece across the front. Not sure if it is just you pics or not, but the right frame rail looks bent out. Probably to remove the PTO cross shaft. They most likely tried to remove the PTO and didn't do it right to begin with, thus had to butcher things.

Attached Thumbnails

• IHF24.jpg
  • IHF39.jpg
  • IHF23.jpg
  • IHF22.jpg
  • IHF25.jpg

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 02:25 PM

I don't know. My guess is access. Most of the pto is gone. They had it rigged to an old car generator and completely changed the pto. I want to get it running first then tackle that. Thanks for the lead on the parts. I really appreciate it. Merry Christmas!

After seeing the photos of the damaged frame I wonder if maybe the PO had just bashed in the frame front and mule enough to mess up the PTO rock-shaft and just yanked it all out?
Or maybe the 129 was stuck (like buried in mud) and they tied a chain to a truck and ripped it beyond repair in the UN-sticking process...Whatever happened I'm guessing some mind-numbing beverage proceeded the process. Whatever happened... I'm glad Jkrogers has his head on straight and is trying to bring this unit back to good service.
Merry Christmas Everybody :)

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Well, since my daughter has the camera, I decided to draw a pic of the front section. See if this helps:
129Frame.jpg
I wouldn't put this on until you have the PTO cross shaft reinstalled as I have tried to get mine out and that piece is in the way.

#23 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Here are the parts you need. There are 3 different PTO clutches that will fit. The first type is found on the narrow frame tractors, the one here is the one that your tractor came with, and the last type has a brake on it. All 3 will work. the first 2 types are easier to find. Also you will need the pto lever and rod. In the center of the arm that releases the pto there is a button. I replaced mine with a brass one.

2010-09-28 18.52.11.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0155.jpg
  • IMG_0156.jpg
  • IMG_0154.jpg
  • IMG_0153.jpg
  • IMG_0157.jpg
  • IMG_0152.jpg
  • IMG_0775.jpg

#24 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help. I took another look at the frame and it is straight. I do ha e part of the pto. I will try and get some pictures up of what I have left. It might be build able.

#25 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Wow. Thank you for the drawing. That helps a lot. Are the edges straight or bent over like a channel for strength? I don't think I would have got the angle right without your post.

#26 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the pictures. They help a lot. I see some things on the engine assembly I will need to correct. I have the basket starter pulley ordered as well as the starter generator. I have some parts left that they were using on the pto. I will post some pictures of them. Some I think are cub parts. Others I am not sure of.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:54 AM

What most people don't realize about Cub PTO's is there are two sets of allen screws holding them on. You have to pull the first three out to get to the inner ones. If they are stripped, you have a real chore on getting it off. The inner screws are pointed and extend just past the back edge of the bearing. Or the bearing it rides on could have been seized, that can cause challenges also. The parts breakdowns above should get you where you can have it usable again.
On the metal piece, the corners have about a .25 radius on the outside. You can just make a square welded corner, maybe grind a bit of a radius. Just have it 13" inside to go over the frame.
Good luck with the repairs.
MechPTOTypeB.jpg
Here's another breakdown for the PTO's.

Attached Thumbnails

• MechPTOPartsListB.jpg

Edited by KennyP, December 26, 2011 - 06:09 AM.
Added Pto pics

#28 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 06:28 PM

pto.jpg I thought you guys might like to see how the PO had the PTO on the 129 rigged up so, I slipped it back on the shaft and took a picture. There are also a couple of shots of the parts that came off the assembly. The rockshaft assembly which has been modified and will need to be replaced. The mower actuating pulley is there and the collar but, I am not sure what or where the other pulley came from. When I purchased it, the deck was on and the belt to the mower hooked up so I assume it worked somehow. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Attached Thumbnails

• pto parts 2.jpg
  • pto parts.jpg

#29 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 07:46 PM

None of that stuff is Cub parts. You can remove the PTO lever without cutting the frame, it is tricky. I drove one of the frame bushings out to remove mine. One of the bushings was about half out, and the roll pin was missing. Also the S/G for a Cub spins CCW most S/Gs will spin CW, but because the S/G is one the PTO end it has to spin CCW.

#30 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Amigatec, I thought the larger pulley might be from a cub. That is good to know, now I know for sure how to proceed.