Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Your first car?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,633 Thanks
  • 8,518 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:48 PM

I got my mother's car a '61 Mercury Comet with an inline 6/auto and an AM Radio. I use to swap a buddy of mine on Friday night my car for his motorcycle. I soon got my first Bike a Suzuki 50cc and haven't looked back.

#17 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Wow I feel like the poor step child lol !

My first car was a 1971 Chevy Impala 4 door sedan painted in 3 different shades of primer over the original dark green paint with a white vinyl roof, no floorboards, a straight pipe (no muffler) from front to back, 260,000 miles on the odometer and 10 mpg, I know you guys are so jealous !

Honestly for $50 dollars and a little elbow grease it wasn't a bad car for a 17 year old to have considering insurance was $47 for six months of basic no-fault coverage and gas at that time was $.87 a gallon.

Now that I look back on it I remember that most of my friends with their fancy (for teenagers) cars were always in my car because they had spent every dime they had to make theirs cars look good or faster but never had any money to put in the gas tank, "Yeah those new mags look great on the car sitting in the driveway, too bad you don't have any gas to drive around and show them off !" was often heard in our group of friends.

Great thread thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The closest pic I could find is a 1972 but they were basically the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• barret jackson 626.JPG

Edited by Ranchkingron, December 22, 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#18 york0060 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 02:20 PM

My first car was a 1965 Ford Fairlane Sports Coupe, i bought it and had it about a mouth and we just couldn't get a title for it. So my first car i could drive was a 1974 Torino with a 351C (Starksky and Hutch Car). it was a cool car.

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,313 Thanks
  • 4,910 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 03:40 PM

My first driver was a 1961 Corvair. Nader "Death at any speed" was already trying to get these cars taken off the market but we had a lot of fun trying to roll them. I say we because my cousin had a 63 and we would take them out after it rained and slide them sideways off of wet pavement onto dry and we never could get them to start to roll. They would spin like crazy but not roll. A kick to drive and both were still running good when we sold them.

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,366 Thanks
  • 3,801 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Oh my what a great thread!! Being a very nostalgic person you sure brought out some great memories for me.
My first was a 1978 Mustang II. 171 cu-in V6, 4 speed, black with gold stripes and American Racing Gold Nugget wheels with 60 series Pro-Trac street radial on all four corners. In the pictures it has the air shocks pumped up tight but I seldom drove it like that because it would beat you to death - plus the headlights were too low with the rear up like that. This was the only Stang II that I ever saw that didn't have woodgrain dash decor, it had the brushed aluminum - even though it really was just plastic. Also had the real aluminum steering wheel in a brushed finish and a full guage package with factory tach.
If I had it in 1st gear at an idle I could pump the gas pedal in an on-off fashon and the third time the front wheels would come off the ground! The fourth time it would have the front end high enough to scare a fella. This was due to the super short wheelbase and help from the front springs, it sure wasn't because the 171 had much power. It did however get 24-27 MPG real steady.
This was my 17th birthday gift to myself in Janurary 1987. Until then I drove moms '79 Olds Gutless Supreme [yeah, I said that right] or dads ole beater pickup. For $160 I got the wrecked '78 and a 1974 parts car for an additional $60 that had everything I needed to make one good car. I did all the work myself including paint. I drove the car for one year and when the tags ran out in Sept '88 I didn't renew because we were getting dealer license about that time and I could drive anything on our car lot. Two weeks after the tags ran out a kid came in looking for his first car and fell in love with my Stang. I priced it at a grand and he took it so fast didn't have time to grieve. He was from another town and I never saw the Stang again.

Attached Thumbnails

• stang1.jpg

#21 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:42 PM

My first vehicle, was a 1993 Ford F250 diesel. It was my grandpas old truck that he gave to me when he upgraded to a 95 F350 diesel. It was just an old farm girl and I had to do a fair amount of work before it was really road worthy. Great truck though, never left me stranded and got a consistent 21 mpg. Still have that truck, debating on doing a full restomod on it or sticking the power plant in a 77 F250

#22 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Mine was an 82 c-10 short bed.Started out with a straight 6 and 3 in tree.I put a stock 350 in w/ a 4 barrel edelbrock carbI think they were 670 cfm,and a 4 speed out of a monza.I put a set of headman headers,dump tubes and had dual 2 1/2 exhaust put on. It had 235-65 15s all around when i got it.I put a set of 295-60 15s on the back .That truck was fun to drive.I am honestly surprised that truck survived me let alone my brother afterwards.It still ran when he sold it.A 16 year old w/a 4 speed and small block not a good combo.

#23 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:19 PM

63 Ford Falcon ragtop...6 cyl, standard. Paid $300 in 1969

Posted Image

#24 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:07 PM

For me it was a 1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 door hardtop with a 347 C.I. 2 barrel. My first boss bought it for me in 1965 at a dealers auction in Grand Rapids MI for $125. He took the money out of my check until I got it paid for. It looked like the one in the photo but was two tone light and dark blue.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1957 Pontiac Chieftain.jpg

#25 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Mine was an 89 Ford Bronco II, 2.9 V6 with the 5 speed Mitsubishi tranny and the electronic shift on the fly 4x4. It was black with silver factory ground effects and a factory brush guard and fog lamps with gray interior. I bought it with 88,000 miles and put another 59,000 on it before I traded it for an F150. It was starting to get the death rattle on the lifters those little engines were noted for and the Mitsubishi trannies in them were only good for about 150,000 miles. When I drove it to trade it in I was sure the thing was gonna let go on the way to the dealer lot. The pilot bearing was absoultely SHOT and every time I pushed in the clutch the noise was horrendous! Having those problems though I really misss that little thing. It was great on gas and would go ANYWHERE you pointed it and I never once got it stuck even with snow as deep as the top of the grill it just marched on. The wifes Jeep Liberty in comparison is a worthless 4x4 next to it.

#26 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,645 Thanks
  • 28,302 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:59 PM

I sold 2 heifers at auction and wanted to buy a car. There were 2 locally in my area in a "ready to drive" condition. One was a sharp Ford Torino. The other was a little less cool.
This picture is almost exactly what the less cool car looked like...
Guess which one My Dad told me I wasn't allowed to buy?

So I went home with the 1978 Caddy. It was 21 yrs old when I bought it, drove it for 4 and sold it for what I bought it.

That caddy had a 425 cu inch engine. It couldn't get out of it's own way off the line, but I never wound it all the way out... Too scared. Went past the 85 on the dash a couple of times, but never topped it out.

It had auto-dimming headlight, electric everything (including antenna) and a back seat bigger than my current couch.... Ahhh memories.

Edited by MH81, December 22, 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:59 PM

My first car was a 1964 El Camino. Had a very worn out 283 in it, I replaced with a .060 over 327. Drove it for YEARS until it finally fell apart. I wish I still had it.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,194 Thanks
  • 29,684 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Mine was a 73 Chevy Vega...."Millionth Edition". Just like this example pic. I don't have a pic handy of my actual Vega. The Millionth Edition came out in this special color scheme & had "Millionth Vega" on the door handles. Was a great handling car, but had to put a steel sleeved block in it soon after due to the aluminum OE bore.

#29 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:59 PM

My first car is just visible in the background... a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z24. In the foreground is now my wonderful wife

Attached Thumbnails

• julescar.jpg

#30 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Wow ride down memory lane with the members of GTTalk!!
My first car was given to me by my great uncle Len, and he did me NO real big favor, but it took a while to learn that.....
On the surface it was a 1965 VW Karman Ghia hard top. But he was a hot rodder/racer from way back and had the
engine built for rally and auto cross, which meant it ran like stink in 3rd gear wide open but got loaded up and fouled when you tried to drive it in town.
Of course it also had NO heat as the exhaust had been modified and there were no heat exchanger boxes and pipes any more so
you carried a windshield scraper for the inside of the windows!!! and dressed warm for the ride to school. But it ran some of the time,
and was a blast to drive on the back roads in second and third gear running wide open....... Learned some about VW's
and a lot about general auto repair before moving on to a '70 Cutlass S from another great uncle who didn't give it to
me but gave me a heck of a deal. Now that is the one I wish I still had!! A Rocket 350, and plenty of go.
Thanks for the blast down memory lane