Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:30 AM

At work we have been using Castrol Pyroplex Blue synthetic grease for a few years , it seems to harden , after time , mostly in spring pins , then the pins won't take grease , the old type grease if dried up at least you could loosen it up with WD40, PB Blaster ect . This seems to turn into concrete ! Just wondering what you guys use , Al

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:59 AM

At home, I use all purpose bearing grease. It's a Moly EP type from NAPA and I've not had any trouble with it. The old style red bearing grease was always my favorite though. I haven't been able to locate a source in a few years though.

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I use crisco unless I'm watching my weight. Just kidding. Actually, I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes b/c I've been wondering about it myself. I'm not so concerned about how the grease functions because I think any would do the job for as light-duty as I run my panzer, but I am interested in what kind cleans up the easiest. Ever since getting this tractor, I've been removing the grease gunk from around the shaft ends and trying to make it look good. Now that I'm painting the frame, I wonder what kind of grease to put back in so it doesn't go back to looking like a grease ball. At least the good news is that the previous owner(s) had actually used grease and that may be part of the reason why it survived so well.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 11:13 AM

The Moly EP that I mentioned above seems to be resistant to liquefaction as opposed to the old red stuff. I noticed that when it gets hot the red stuff liquefies and oozes out. I haven't had that happen at all with the Moly EP.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 11:22 AM

I use the JD greases that are recommended for my 2320. There's a brown one, lithium maybe, that is for ujoints and a green grease for steering and loader pivots. I also use their synthetic spray lub for 3pt hitch and loader valve linkage and anywhere a light grease is needed. The cost is about the same as generic greases and I have found all these products to work well. I tried some generic synthetic grease for loader pivots but I found it seemed pastey and had a tendency to separate in the tube and leak all over the place.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:23 PM

I have as of late tried Lucas brand grease and have been happy so far with it's performance.

Their Red and Tacky #2 works very well for pivots and steering components or any place where you want the grease to stay put, and it seems to be stable not drying up or melting and dropping off.

For wheel bearings/spindles and any place where high pressure/ temperature loads are a regular part of use I use their X-tra Heavy Duty grease because it has very high anti wash out properties and is high temperature.

But to be honest my theory is if do the maintenance as recommended (or more often) most greases will do the job.

I'm not sure if the Lucas is synthetic or not but so far it seems to work well for my needs.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• Lucas Red and Tacky grease.JPG
  • Lucas xtra heavy grease.JPG

#7 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 02:32 PM

I have been using Massey Ferguson grease on my stuff and seems to do well. I got 2 boxes given to me a while back. Using the last tube now. We use the Castrol Pyroplex red here at work and have no complaints. My supplier says the Blue is supposed to be better but if we're not having any problems with the red, there's no need to switch. Our tuck and equipment repair shop across the street use the Castrol blue though.

#8 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 07:47 PM

I use FS Spectra Red. Use it on my trucks and skid loader too. Seems to work real good. I agree with Ranchkingron most greases will work good as long as you follow maintenance schedules.
  • Ranchkingron said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I don't use grease at all. I changed over to Vasaline. Cleans up nice, doesn't get hard, doesn't clog grease zerks, and cleans easily off your hands when working on a nice restored machine. Pack my wheels hubs and steering gear box too. Doesn't discolor the paint finish either, like some grease's do. Never had a problem. Just pack the Vasaline in an empty grease tube.
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:20 PM

I also use moly grease.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:11 AM

I have been using Lucas Red-N-Tacky NGLI #2 in the summer and NGLI #1 in the winter for about 12 years. Repels water and stays flexible.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:00 AM

The biggest problem I'm having is the spring pins ( shackles and spring eyes ) the other greasable parts like tie rod ends aren't a problem with the grease getting hard and not taking grease. Maybe because the tires kick up so much water and dirt ? The trucks get serviced 2-3 times a year 12-18K miles avg. ( co. tells me when they should be done ) Right now it would be a good time to try something different because I'm replacing king pins and springs on a truck , could see if something works better . The truck is a 1998 with 374k on it .

#13 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 10:47 PM

I use vasaline o. I usually put a lil on bolts & washers stuff like that, like u said doesnt leave stains ,easy to wipe off and it keeps all the hardware from gettin rusted up. I'll even put a light coat on anything that has metal - metal contact. I've never tried it on spindals or anything like that, seems kinda thin but maybe I'm wrong.
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 08:35 PM

I always use vaseline in places where it will mix with oil. A good place is in hydrostatic or automatic trannys. It will dissolve when the oil hits and it will mix with the oil. If you use grease in these areas it will not melt and mix with the oil.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 11:55 AM

I always use vaseline in places where it will mix with oil. A good place is in hydrostatic or automatic trannys. It will dissolve when the oil hits and it will mix with the oil. If you use grease in these areas it will not melt and mix with the oil.

That's a good tip to remember . I use Vaseline to hold the little check balls in place on automatic trans. valve bodies when it's still in the vehicle ( they have to be held in underside when the plates/body are put back together )