65 replies to this topic

#16 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 11:12 PM

Must admit that I did work on this a little this morning and then evening. Doesn't look to much different to pictures other than the rear wheels are off now. Did the pressure wash thing with the heavy soap and did a little parts cleaning. Man, a closed garage with either acetone or paint thinner is too much to take. Maybe tomorrow, I'll bundle up and open the garage door up so I can make some headway.

#17 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:03 AM

yea it u work indoor to much ur eyes will look like ur cookie monster pic

#18 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, No kidding. Bundled up today and got my cleaning done by power brushes and acetone. Will do one more cleaning by prep-sol right before the paint.

This afternoon, I set up a temp paint booth in the garage. Picture can't get it all. I got the garage door locked down... Plastic on 5 sides - canvas on the floor. Furnace filter you see is the inlet. On the opposite side is another and a fan pointed out the window. The stuff sitting on the floor is just anchoring the plastic.
Plastic and furnace filters $15.... Keeping my garage from turning turquois... priceless.

Tomorrow I'll get the paint and go. First primer for the bare metal or parts that are changing color... Then white... then black... Then high-heat black... then bring on the turquoise. Maybe I wont' get to that last step till the next day... Will see.

IMG00079-20111226-2008.jpg

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'm getting excited to see the progress. I bet that plastic won't be clear long. :D

#20 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Well, it's painted. Now it's beer time while my eyes un-cross.
No pictures tonight. Tired of the smell of paint so not going back in that garage tonight.

Got everything painted, but going to have to load up another small thing of turquoise for some touch up. I dropped the drive handle and the very top actually broke off! Going to have to grind, weld and paint that. And one other thing that I missed. Maybe be putting things back together by thursday.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear of the broken handle, hope you can repair that without it being a noticable repair. Cant wait to see the finished results of the painting. Hope it goes well.

#22 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Oh, I'll get it don't worry. Nothing like the pop, pop, pop of welding cast iron.
Anyway, I'd thought I'd get just a couple of pics before starting to piece this all back together... maybe even later today. I had to tear down the booth and re-arrange all the parts because my wife's new car got a screw in the tire and I wanted to get the garage door up so that I didn't have to walk all the way around the house to get to my toolbox... and be out in the rain...
Tire is plugged and seales so... back to the project.
IMG00081-20111228-0644.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00080-20111228-0644.jpg

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Dean, that is some nice paint work, hopefully you don't scuff it too much during reassembly.
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#24 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Oh, I'm going to take my time putting it back together. I want to have it ready for a family party we're having on Saturday. Shouldn't be a problem. I actually got farther than the pictures show. The handle fix went really well. It broke at it's narrowest point, so was just able to widen it out a bit and then grind it down. Well, it's back on it's own 2... well 4 feet. Got the rear fenders and stuff on after this shot. Tomorrow, then engine goes back on and then it'll start to look like a tractor again.

IMG00083-20111228-0849.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00084-20111228-1443.jpg

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:30 PM

It looks great as a rolling chassis Dean. And the repair looks good too.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:14 PM

That looks great so far. I like the front axle, may have to paint something in that color sometime.

#27 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:59 PM

I don't know if it's the color or just the fact that Sherwin Williams is who makes it, but man it's good stuff. I had some trouble with the black on the engine. There are some very small pinholes on the first coat, and they covered over with the second coat. You have to get real close to see it, so I didn't mess with it. Otherwise, I'd have to strip it all off or clean it and use some high-build primer on top. Not sure if it was water or oil through the compressor. I'm also wondering if I used the wrong reducer. It would have been a big deal if it was a car or something, but not for the wee little bit I did. Then again, I'm a perfectionist so some others less inflicted might not have even have noticed. Anyway, I don't know if anyone else was tired of looking at blackberry pictures, but snapped off a couple tonight from a real camera... Oh and I had the ladder out already, so I just climbed up it to get a birds-eye of the seat cover I got for Christmas. Most of the stuff isn't even tightened down - just got bolts and nuts in to make sure that it all still fit. and to center everything.

HPIM2750.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2753.JPG

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:04 PM

By golly, that's a sharp looking tractor. Darned nice job.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:40 AM

That looks good from here. I do like the stripe you put on the front axle, that really stands out. Good job!

#30 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:48 AM

That really looks good.