65 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Okay, I cleared out a few home projects making some time to keep working on the Panzer. Here's a link to the last thread I did up through the end of summer
http://gardentractor...ld-thread-9148/

My ultimate goal is to tear it back down and paint the frame and all the stuff I skipped painting when I restored the sheet metal. But before that, there are some mechanical and looks upgrades I wanted to do.

First up... I wanted to get some chrome going... and I happened to have a new-dealer-take-off Harley Softtail muffler. It's amazing how much engineering they put into these things to get a Harley into federal noise regulation and then we just tear them off. Then they're worthless. I couldn't even sell a set of 2 of these on E-Bay with a $20 starting bid. It's a nice quiet purring sound now.
IMG00070-20111220-1612.jpg

That thing weighs about 20 pounds, so I made some extra heavy brackets to support it off the crankcase and head.
IMG00072-20111221-1820.jpg

Of course before I'm done I will put on some flat black high-heat paint on the header and bracket - all the way up and include the very bottom of the chrome muffler. All of this should fit into the oven to bake it on.

Didn't take any pictures, but I moved the seat and mounts forward by just over 5 inches. Before, the seat was on the setting closest to the steering wheel and it was right for me (at 6 feet tall), but too far back for anyone else. My wife even tried to drive it but couldn't quite reach the controls.

Next up... probably Friday... I'm going to replace the 1969 front axle with a 1962 one. Going to lower it just slightly and make it xtra heavy duty.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:35 PM

That muffler looks good on there! Does it quiet things down at all?

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:04 AM

That muffler looks good on there! Does it quiet things down at all?

Thanks, Yes it is quieter than the gx390 is stock. The octopus of a muffler they put on gives a tin can kind of sound and this one is very low and solid. I think the picture is funny - now looking at it because the close-up with the cell phone camera makes it look huge!

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:16 PM

nice, i got to see this thing at shows. Its so cool. Nice stack by the way.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:44 PM

I plan to upgrade the muffler on my 420 clone when I get it mounted onto the Springfield (need the clearance). How did you make up the exhaust flange? Drill press and a bandsaw/jigsaw? Or did you find that flange somewhere?

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 02:58 PM

I plan to upgrade the muffler on my 420 clone when I get it mounted onto the Springfield (need the clearance). How did you make up the exhaust flange? Drill press and a bandsaw/jigsaw? Or did you find that flange somewhere?

Dang good question. I had an exhaust flange and header tube laying around, but I remembered where they came from (Link below). Yes I know it says go karts, but the honda GX series are very popular for Kart racing and there's performance parts out the wazoo for them. If you look at the link I sent at the bottom of the screen is a flange and a couple of head tubes. I've also used nrracing.com for some gx390 performance parts. Just make sure that you're ordering for the gx390 and not for the gx270 or some other one because they carry them all. The 420cc clone is just a gx390 - the piston and bore are just out to the maximum honda overbore.
affordablegokarts: EXHAUST

I got into the habit of using honda GX390s and clones back when I was building mini dune-buggies. So part of the reason I stuck one in here was just familiarity. Though the governor and all that is intact on this one. I used to yank the governor and re-do the intake for the buggies.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 03:16 PM

nice, i got to see this thing at shows. Its so cool. Nice stack by the way.

Funny I started looking at the "Little Guys" show out east last night. It's not too far at 4 hours. My problem is that I'd have no one in may family want to go.. and a day wouldn't be a problem, but a week or even a whole weekend would be a problem.
One show/fair that I always liked was New Centerville, but they didn't have any categories posted online. I thought that would be fun to go to and relatively close, but also thought that they want steam stuff and straight-up antiques. This thing is kind of a freak, though it is made mostly of 1962-1969 panzer parts.

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Funny I started looking at the "Little Guys" show out east last night. It's not too far at 4 hours. My problem is that I'd have no one in may family want to go.. and a day wouldn't be a problem, but a week or even a whole weekend would be a problem.
One show/fair that I always liked was New Centerville, but they didn't have any categories posted online. I thought that would be fun to go to and relatively close, but also thought that they want steam stuff and straight-up antiques. This thing is kind of a freak, though it is made mostly of 1962-1969 panzer parts.

bring it to the july show in Scottdale, PA. there are a number of farm tractors there and i am tring to get more gts up there. We had 5 there last year. There is all so tractor pulls and home made icecream. if u want to see pics from last year go onto faafea.com. I belong to that club and its realy cool

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 10:02 PM

bring it to the july show in Scottdale, PA. there are a number of farm tractors there and i am tring to get more gts up there. We had 5 there last year. There is all so tractor pulls and home made icecream. if u want to see pics from last year go onto faafea.com. I belong to that club and its realy cool

Scottdale is a possibility. Especially if there's cars and tractors there, too. Something else to do and maybe I can get the one girl to go. I considered toying around with the pulling thing for about 10 minutes. Then I saw the engine restrictions plus shielding needed plus shut-off needed plus wheelie bar needed. That's a bit much to try it out once in a while. Seems like those guys are a bit too serious for my tastes.
Even if the pulling was open per weight class, you got guys in there mostly running 10hp flatheads. Show up with that big OHV sticking out the side turning about 7k rpm and I'd be like the kid who peed in the pool.

Tomorrow... front axle... If I don't get called from work.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:28 AM

yea i was goin to try and pull in the vintage class. Idk how a 7hp panzer would do

#11 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:29 PM

yea i was goin to try and pull in the vintage class. Idk how a 7hp panzer would do

You'd have to have that 7hp briggs built pretty tight to compete, I'd admit. It looks like that most classes allow up to a 12hp flathead in most classes up to 1200 pounds. So keep an eye on craigslist for one of those and be patient.

Anyway. Man, the front axle this morning was a challenge. Not so much complex as I didn't get the width spacing right the first time and had to break it back down and do it a second time. That's why you tack weld and fit. Although I did a bit more welding than I normally do because I wanted to fit it with the weight of the tractor on it. So here's a picture with the 1969 front axle off and the 62 axle on. Not only does it have a nice big chunky look to it with nice curves, but a lot more cast iron on it, too. I was able to put the spindles right under the meat of it instead of dropping down like they did.
IMG00073-20111223-1205.jpg
Can't wait to get this all painted out in teal and I'll outline this piece in white just like the 'Panzer' lettering. All I got left to do is build up the welding around where the spindles meet the steering arms. I started by welding the spindles on with some .023 wire then moved up to .035 to add a lot of bulk.... but then ran out of gas so will pause on that till I get mor gas. But after I'm done you won't be alble to see any 3/4 inch shaft inside the wheels at all and that will be all built up. I know some guys upgrade to 1 inch to put a loader on. ON this little guy, I think the 3/4 will be enough - even if I do find or build a small loader some day. It wouldn't handle the weight that a big loader would and it's going to be reinforced out the wazoo.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Dean, that older axle looks great under the 69. Great job getting it positioned as you wanted.
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:42 PM

Okay, boys.
If you're bored over the holiday, then here's a little activity for you. Print out these 3 pictures and then cut out the parts and paste them together to make a panzer. Extra points if you can crayon the correct color on the parts which will change color.

IMG00075-20111224-1317.jpg

So, it's pretty much torn down. My next steps are to clean parts, clean parts, and then maybe (for a change of pace) clean parts.
What I'm going to do is 3 steps on the greasy parts - purple power plus pressure washer, then acetone, then prep-sol. Will only do the last 2 steps for the cleaner parts. I'm not going to prime the teal parts because I really don't want a layer of primer in there... in case I get a chip or scratch, it may look okay if there's just teal all the way through. I am going to prime the bare pieces and any parts that are high wear.

Now, time to go party. Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00076-20111224-1317.jpg
  • IMG00074-20111224-1316.jpg

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Wow Dean, I thought it was your parts Panzer until I read the post LOL. Good luck with the restoration, if we can call it that anymore? LOL

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Wow Dean, I thought it was your parts Panzer until I read the post LOL. Good luck with the restoration, if we can call it that anymore? LOL

Yeah, It is. My only regret is that I didn't tear it all the way down when I did the sheet metal originally. I thought that the frame looked good until I saw brand new sherwin williams paint up next to it. After seeing that, then finishing the job was a no-brainer.