#16 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 06:42 AM

You know,I can remember hearing about another incident just like this a few years ago.It's tragic,but apparently does happen.

#17 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have been using muzzle loaders since i was a kid, built one of my first guns as a kit! I have had to wet the powder and pull it with a ball screw many times. But then i bought one of those co2 unloaders, man thats slick!!!! No excuse to not unload it after buying something like that. Its a quick putttt and its done.

There is no such thing as accidental discharges i agree! If it discharged you made it happen...

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:39 AM

Kurt Vonnegut wrote a novel called Dead Eye Dick that was about a kid who fired a gun in the air and killed someone. I never expected to hear of it happening in real life. The odds were tremendous that nothing would be hit which may have been why the shooter pulled the trigger. It seems odd to me that no charges would be laid in this case. It's a shame that stuff like this has to happen.

#19 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Folks should be educated that even a mile is not far enough. In low humidity and at altitude with a high-power, 7 miles is not out of the question. So the only right answer is never to do it.

#20 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 11:32 PM

I cant leave this 1 alone. As some of u know im a former S.E.A.L Team leader & now a Federal Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor & as any1 thats sat in my classes knows, I DON'T believe in "accidental" discharges!! You tell me how it happen & i can show u 10 ways it coulda been prevented! No charges?? BS!! Accidental?? my A$$!!!!

Its great to have a former SEAL team member here with us. I too, dont believe in AD. I have not seen one yet that wasnt actually a ND.

BTW what was your BUDS class number? We might know some of the same people!

Edited by coldone, December 24, 2011 - 11:34 PM.
spelling

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I have had one "almost" accidental discharge. I say "almost" accidental, even though the gun did discharge, but if I had examined the gun closely enough, it would not have gone off. My step-daughter's Dad gave her a 20ga shotgun several years ago. It was used, so before I would let her shoot it, I wanted to check it out. I took it to the field, and when I closed the single shot with a shell in it, it went off. I ALWAYS hold my guns in a fashion to where if they go off for any reason, everything is safe. It did of course give me a fright, with the hole in the ground just in front of me, but no danger. Turns out someone had replaced the firing pin, but either did not have the correct one, or failed to fit it properly, as the pin was too long & stuck out just a shade, but enough that it scarred the shell as it closed, then hit the primer. I shortened the pin & now all is good.

#22 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 06:54 PM

OCH, i had something similar with a buddy of mine. he wanted a muzzle loader and found a nice CVA inline at the local Pawn shop. He picked me up and we went and bought it. We rode around to couple of stores to get everything he needed for it, powder, caps, and balls. We take it back to my house and get ready to start loading and shooting. I told him we needed to mark the ramrod so that he could drop it in and tell if he had a charge in it. When I dropped the rod down the barrel I noticed that it landed with a dull thud and that there was about the correct amount of the rod sticking up that should be there with a load in it. I marked the rod with a sharpie, pulled it out, and compared with the barrel. Sure enough it was 2-3 inches short of bottoming out in the barrel. I pulled the nipple and wetted the powder and pulled the ball.

I called the pawn shop and he said it had been sitting on the rack for over two months. He asked how to check if one was loaded and I explained. He was very appreciative but didnt offer us a discount :D

#23 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Gun safety is one of the most important things one can teach their children in my opinion. I started teaching mine at around 5 years of age and they are all aware of the dangers of handling firearms but are not afraid of them and know how to properly handle one. One point that most people forget to teach their children is how to watch others to make sure they are acting in a safe manner. Very important.

#24 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I agree with the gun safety training! My son just got his first bb gun about 6 months ago - He could physically handle it a long time before that but wasn't ready to treat it correctly.

Even though its "just a bb gun" I insist on treating it like a "real gun" - all the safety rules, storage rules, backstops, eye protection, etc.

One of his uncles tried to give me some grief about being such a hard#$$ with a "toy gun". That conversation didn't go very far!!! My goal is to have him learn safe habits and have them be second nature so when he does get a "real gun" he will do things right without thinking about it.

#25 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 06:34 PM

I agree with the gun safety training! My son just got his first bb gun about 6 months ago - He could physically handle it a long time before that but wasn't ready to treat it correctly.

Even though its "just a bb gun" I insist on treating it like a "real gun" - all the safety rules, storage rules, backstops, eye protection, etc.

One of his uncles tried to give me some grief about being such a hard#$$ with a "toy gun". That conversation didn't go very far!!! My goal is to have him learn safe habits and have them be second nature so when he does get a "real gun" he will do things right without thinking about it.

I did the same thing when my son got his 1st. bbgun... he was 8..and i took the time to show him gun safety..he's 13 now and still abides ..by the gun rules that i taught him...safety is always on no matter what till just before a shot...it doe'snt take much to bump-it with your thumb..right before a shot..safety is colored red when not in use and he knows that if its off its (RED Your DEAD..)...

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 10:23 PM

There's something just shy of a bb gun called an air-soft... or something like that. Anyways, kids shoot them at targets and they leave a mark - kind of like a paintball only smaller. Well, one of the kids in the neighborhood hit our boy in the legs 4 or 5 times and big red welts. Makes you feel like doing something physical, doesn't it? But what cooled my fire is that the kids mom beat me to it. Just a bad kid.

#27 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 12:11 PM

There's no point in being stupid if you don't show it. It's just a shame someone had to die to show how stupid this guy is.

#28 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Such a loss of life like that is truly senseless. As far as people thinking muzzleloaders don't "carry far" consider mine-.45 cal, 150 grains of pellets and a 175 grain Powerbelt bullet-steps up pretty close to 2600 fpm. Yeah, I'd say it would carry quite a ways. Firing while cleaning is pretty lame reason, poor gun handling is the real problem.

#29 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 10:57 AM

You dont have to fire a muzzle loader to unload it,screw a ball puller to end of a ramrod,pull said ball out,dump the powder,then clean as usual.Its safer and smarted.