• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:44 PM

this is bizzare,,.. Rachel Yoder, 15-Year-Old Amish Girl, Shot Dead In Buggy By Man Cleaning Gun: Sheriff

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Makes you think a little harder about were you point that 22 doesn't it?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:57 PM

That is crazy. I understand it is an accident but still, you don't fire a gun up into the air. I am surprised they are not pressing charges.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Sorry to hear of a tragedy any time of year, especially this time of year.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:00 PM

I never discharge a gun unless there is a definite backstop. That bullet has to land somewhere. And a 50 or 54 cal sabot comes back to earth with a vengeance! This guy is not totally innocent. He should have known far better.
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:07 PM

So Sad that things like this could happen, and at that distance.

#7 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:20 PM

No excuse for mishandling a firearm. I do not know the story behind this sounds like there was gross neglect involved. For those of you who have gotten to know me on here you know that handling firearms are a big portion of my job and in my opinion there is no such thing as an accident. People who do irresponsible things like this just give the anti-gun people more ammo. Sorry for that families loss.
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:25 PM

I used to use a muzzleloader when I always had the week off between Christmas and New Years. They won't shoot far, but will carry their momentum well. Just dumb with any single-projectile gun - even a 22 cap-gun

#9 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:54 PM

No excuses:mad2:!!! If you cant handle a weapon safely dont pick it up. I am curious to see how old this shooter was and what sort of training they have had. We had BB guns in our hands at 6 or 7 years old, we were taught and expected to be safe, and if Dad caught us not, OH BOY... You dont fire any weapon in the air, it has to come down somewhere. Man there sure are some dummies out there:wallbanging:.
Sorry to rant

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 10:35 PM

I don't have a muzzle loader, but don't you have to fire them to clear it if you don't get a shot while hunting? If that's the case, I could think of a lot better places than up in the air.

I hope the Amish community can bear this senseless accident.

#11 ce318 OFFLINE  

ce318

• Member No: 7886
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:33 AM

We had a case here in Culver Oregon where one cousin shot the other 3/4 mile away in a motorhome at night. Neither group new the other was close and someone got stupid and fired off a rifle. The bullet traveled 4/10ths of a mile entering the side of the motor home and striking the victim in the head killing him instantly. Shooter was charged with homicide and convicted two months later. Alcohol was a factor.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:12 PM

What a waste and a total shame. The guy who pulled the trigger is the one that should have been hit in the head. This is the very reason that I will not fly at low altitude during Deer season. There are just too many idiots out there that would be tempted to take a pot shot. I know there are millions of responsible gun owners out there but all it take is one idiot.
Just knowing what that family is going through makes me sick.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:58 PM

We had a 5 year old boy in Church a year ago who was struck in the head by a bullet that had been fired into to the are to celebrate New years. They estimated the bullet traveled over a mile but they never found the person who fired the shot. Then the past 4th a man was shot and killed in his home by some one celebrating the 4th. He was caught and prosecuted.

What a sham and senseless loss and heartache.

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 10:09 PM

I don't have a muzzle loader, but don't you have to fire them to clear it if you don't get a shot while hunting? If that's the case, I could think of a lot better places than up in the air.

I hope the Amish community can bear this senseless accident.

The only other alternative is to pull the ball out which can be a real pain and it is a lot easier just to fire it off. If you start off with a clean barrel and don't get a shot, then you can also just leave it loaded until the next time out. I had occasions where I'd leave one loaded for a week or more (locked of course). Most times if I needed to fire it off, just blast into the ground on an upslope. No real worry of a richochet of a pure lead ball at a steep angle.

Can't imagine what these people are dealing with right now... on both ends. An ounce of prevention...

#15 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:54 AM

As a former B.A.T.F Firearms dealer working for Gander Mountain here in Michigan I can attest to the fact that just because you can legally purchase a firearm doesn't necessarily mean you should own one.

Stories like this really make my blood boil and should never have happened and in my opinion the person who fired the gun should be prosecuted.

The excuse of cleaning the gun is way overused and total BS, here's why.

1) There's no way you can clean any firearm while it's loaded, i.e. how can you do a through cleaning if part of the gun is blocked by a cartridge or a bullet/charge in a muzzleloader ?

2) The misconception that it's hard to unload a muzzleloader is untrue there are many ways to safely unload it i.e. using a CO2 unloader to push the charge and bullet clear of the barrel or if it has a removable breach-plug it can be cleared without firing it, in a solid breech you can wet the powder (to render it inert) thru the touch hole or nipple then use a bullet puller.

3) As had been stated it can be fired into a known backstop or into the ground, although this still has some risk involved.

4) It doesn't matter whether it's a slingshot, pellet/bb gun, muzzleloader, rifle, handgun. bow and arrow if you fire it into the air the projectile has to come down at some point, and to be clear a muzzleloaders bullet will carry almost as far when fired in the air as a any other firearm including a .22, in most cases more than a mile.

Personally I think any new firearm owner should have some kind of training before being allowed to purchase or use a firearm, the responsibility of owning and using one is properly is more than driving a car yet we required to be trained and licensed to operate one, maybe the same should be done with firearms ?

My views on this may not be popular but they may at some point help prevent a tragedy like this from being a more common occurrence.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and community for this senseless tragedy.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• BIDKIT.jpg
  • 31JDeU0CoGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 5732409286_12bc909fc8.jpg
  • ml055.jpg

• MH81 and Sparky have said thanks