Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

uh-oh, lots of brake fluid on the ground!?!??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 02:31 PM

... put them in an old pie tin in the oven at 250 for a while...
Caution, only do this when you are home alone and can air out the house. Even as low as it would go temp wise, there was the distinct smell of hot oil in the house for a while.

Friend of mine as an old oven and a dishwasher in his shop. When they remodeled their kitchen a few years ago, he saved the old appliances and put them in his shop. He can "cook" powdercoat, dry out parts, heat parts for shrink fit, etc. And the dishwasher is good for cleaning up parts - he uses simply green or laundry detergent. And can do a "heat dry" as part of the washer cycle. All without incurring the wrath of the wife for messing up her "good" appliances.

If you keep your eyes open, you can usually pick up functional cast-off appliances for very little or even free. I have a spot picked out in my shop for an oven when I find a free candidate. Already have a parts washer, and don't want to do the plumbing to install a dsihwasher though.

Just something to think about...
  • JDBrian said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Thats a good idea about the oven. As long as you have the 240v available to power it.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:37 PM

The leak has been slow, but it now looks like a 1/2 gallon has spilled onto the ground after I removed the wheel. I had only driven it for 2 minutes before parking it this last time, so not sure if overheating was the cause.

A HALF GALLON!! Thats a lot of fluid. I can't see why it would suddenly start leaking so much unless something is broken or loose. I'd give it a good cleaning and then try to determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. A worn seal wouldn't normally spew that much fluid that quickly.

#19 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• Member No: 5374
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 10:43 PM

A HALF GALLON!! Thats a lot of fluid. I can't see why it would suddenly start leaking so much unless something is broken or loose. I'd give it a good cleaning and then try to determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. A worn seal wouldn't normally spew that much fluid that quickly.

I may be exaggerating a bit, but it is a 3'x4' pool of 1/4" thick goop, so it seems like a lot. There is still fluid in the hose leading to the tranny, but I can see air half way up.

#20 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 10:46 PM

I can't tell from this pic where the axle seal would be? help?

axle assembly.jpg

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 10:54 PM

Not shown in the picture, it could be in the tranny before the axel ( the axel doesn't need to run in oil) or it's to the outside of # 1. My guess is it's in the tranny before the axel housing.

#22 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Not shown in the picture, it could be in the tranny before the axel ( the axel doesn't need to run in oil) or it's to the outside of # 1. My guess is it's in the tranny before the axel housing.

Is it #7 in this sectional?

differential.jpg

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Sure looks like it, what is 37?

#24 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 11:42 PM

sure looks like it, what is 37?

37 = ( m85577 ) washer

Edited by saintb, December 20, 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 02:25 AM

Yeah, that must be it, hope one of the JD guys confirm.

There nuts be another seal for the brake band? Is the brake band near where # 33 is on the last diagram?

#26 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, that must be it, hope one of the JD guys confirm.

There nuts be another seal for the brake band? Is the brake band near where # 33 is on the last diagram?

I could send another snapshot, but am getting concerned that this is more complicated than I hoped. I have zero knowledge of this assembly and am intimidated now for sure.

Can you recommend the tools I need to start the surgery (next week)?

Should I order the axle seal just in case? The dealer isn't close to my house at all.

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I still think you should try to verify where the oil came from. I'd clean the area up , add more oil to the transmission and try to see where the leak is. It could be that there is something else wrong besides the seal. That is a lot of fluid to loose overnight from a seal. It may be time for you to get someone more experienced to have a look at it.
  • saintb said thank you

#28 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:25 PM

well it appears that the transmission fluid is leaking right through the bearing.
IMAG1271.jpg

and it looks like the bearing itself is shot.
IMAG1296.jpg

this is the good side (and what it should look like)
IMAG1295.jpg

I guess I should order a new bearing? I can find the JD part# easily, but the bearing itself reads "6206 NSL" which appears to be a pretty standard bearing, too.

Do I need a bear puller to remove it? Or can I just pry it off since it is already damaged? How hard is it to get the break pads off, so I can access the bearing? Do I need to disassemble spring and pully-rod on the pedal/cable-side too (or just the pads)? The manual shows taking apart the entire assembly which is more than I've ever done or wish to do right now. :( :)

#29 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 07:07 AM

According to the 318 manual you need to remove the axle shaft to replace the bearing and seal. The seal is inside at the differential case. If you have the 318 manual the axle and rear end are the same. I believe the 430 is different.

#30 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:55 AM

According to the 318 manual you need to remove the axle shaft to replace the bearing and seal. The seal is inside at the differential case. If you have the 318 manual the axle and rear end are the same. I believe the 430 is different.

ughhhh. sounds above my abilities. how much is a typical John Deere Dealer Service Rate per hour? (I'm in "everythings expensive" New Jersey). This sounds manageable for a local repair shop to me also.