Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

uh-oh, lots of brake fluid on the ground!?!??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• Member No: 5374
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:50 PM

I removed my rear-wheels to add Rim-Guard and found a large amount of fluid under the left hub the morning after. https://picasaweb.go...914213343522498

I am a newbie, but am guessing this isn't supposed to happen. :wallbanging:

What is the most likely cause of this failure?

thanks in advance

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:56 PM

I think your brakes are mechanical, not hydraulic. If it is leaking from under the drum I would assume an axle seal
  • saintb said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:20 AM

First off, I hadn't seen any of your earlier posts so I want to WELCOME you to GTtalk, :wave:glad you found us..

Mike is right, from what I can see in the photo. It appears to be a late 300 Series JD and those models all had mechanical brakes. You have an axle seal leaking. you can change them out fairly easily. Do you have a service manual for your tractor. If not, post what model tractor it is and someone maybe can help you locate a manual. Here is where you can post your inquiry about a manual.

http://gardentractor...-manuals-10660/

I hope this helps...:smile1:
  • saintb said thank you

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 01:45 AM

its ok, i'll send you a tee shirt like mine. It says "i couldnt fix your brakes, so i made the horn louder".

On a more serious note, i to think you have an axil seal leaking and nows a good time to repair it.
  • mikebramel and saintb have said thanks

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I would assume that fluid to be from a leaky axle seal.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Your tractor looks very clean but you might want to check to see it there is a vent ( maybe hose ) thats plugged or pinched shut , should be near the center of the rear , maybe a long shot but I think it's worth a peek anyway , Al

#7 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Shows how much I know about my new-to-me JD 332. Great little tractor, but lots to learn.

I have few manuals that I found here previously (thank you, thank you, thank you for a fantastic resource).

The most relevant pages seem to be 143-150 from the "John Deere 430 Lawn Garden Service Manual".

Should I just dig in and figure it out as I go? I'm pretty handy, but very short on time (with two small girls and a newly purchased fixer-upper home) and this looks like a pretty big job for a newbie. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the suggested tools either. ("Step 12. Remove axle shaft assembly using a bearing puller
(A), H-Bar (B), and slide hammer ©")

Thoughts? The thought of renting a trailer to bring this to JD dealer just days before the Christmas holiday and an inevitable snow storm (which I need the tractor and plow for) aren't appealing either.

thanks again

PS My brakes have been especially "gummy" (soft) at times, but this is my first riding tractor so I don't know what to expect really. There is most certainly fluid on the left brake shoe.

Edited by saintb, December 20, 2011 - 08:10 AM.
found more relevant pgs

#8 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:35 AM

There may be some oil that got on the brake shoes, you can clean it off with brakleen or a similar product. Welcome to the forums.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Last set that got oil on them, I cleaned them as best I could and then put them in an old pie tin in the oven at 250 for a while. Got quite a bit more out. Cleaned them again.

If I had to do it over, i'd put something under it to hold up off the pan. It was laying in the oil that came out. Not enough to get back on the pad, but still another mess to clean off it.

Caution, only do this when you are home alone and can air out the house. Even as low as it would go temp wise, there was the distinct smell of hot oil in the house for a while.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Where are you located. The dealer will be atleast a couple hundred

#11 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 11:35 AM

Where are you located. The dealer will be atleast a couple hundred

I'm in Central Jersey. I called the dealer for the part and the parts dept couldn't determine what part I would need to do it myself. Some of their staff are great, others aren't as knowledgeable.

Do you know if the seal is a bearing or gasket? And can it be accessed without dissembling the casing, etc?

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'm in Central Jersey. I called the dealer for the part and the parts dept couldn't determine what part I would need to do it myself. Some of their staff are great, others aren't as knowledgeable.

Do you know if the seal is a bearing or gasket? And can it be accessed without dissembling the casing, etc?

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried going on JDParts.com and looking up the parts diagrams for your tractor. That will tell you part no's and you can then relay the info. to the lazy dealer. If the leak is a slow one (there is no oil under the rear axle when the tractor sits) then you could just clean the brakes and wait for spring to fix it. Check your trans. fluid level to make sure it's not overfilled or down on fluid. I had a similar issue on my 314. It turned out that the vent was plugged, which allowed the transmission to pressurize when it heated up and drive oil out through the axle seals. After fixing the vent and cleaning the brakes with brake cleaner I haven't had any issues since.

#13 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:30 PM

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried going on JDParts.com and looking up the parts diagrams for your tractor. That will tell you part no's and you can then relay the info. to the lazy dealer. If the leak is a slow one (there is no oil under the rear axle when the tractor sits) then you could just clean the brakes and wait for spring to fix it. Check your trans. fluid level to make sure it's not overfilled or down on fluid. I had a similar issue on my 314. It turned out that the vent was plugged, which allowed the transmission to pressurize when it heated up and drive oil out through the axle seals. After fixing the vent and cleaning the brakes with brake cleaner I haven't had any issues since.

The leak has been slow, but it now looks like a 1/2 gallon has spilled onto the ground after I removed the wheel. I had only driven it for 2 minutes before parking it this last time, so not sure if overheating was the cause.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Another thing that can cause leaks is water getting in the tranny. It raises the level and displaces the oil. You might want to let it sit for a day or two and take the drain plug out to the last thread. The water will usually seep past if there is any. If the oil looks contaminated, best change it.

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 01:59 PM

I would bet the seal is generic. The rear end on those looks like the same ones on a Simplicity Sunstar.

If you get the seal you could take it to any mechanic. Or do it yourself. Youll need an axle nut socket of that size (can rent them at Advance or what not) and a puller to get the hub off (can rent that too or buy cheap at Harbor Freight)