43 replies to this topic

#1 JDAddict OFFLINE  

JDAddict

• Member No: 7865
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hey guys, First post here.

Just thought I'd share some experience in using electrolysis for rust removal.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 42" snow thrower for my JD265. After completing sand blasting, I decide to try out electrolysis. Worked pretty damn good.

Attached is a picture of the auger (you can see the left side was above the water mark. It was pretty rusted). It was "baking" for about 2 days, half the time at 6v and half at 12v. I just quickly used a wire brush after it came out to clean off some residual rust.

If anyone is interested, the setup is super easy. Google it, or check it out here Rust removal by electrolysis

Any questions, just ask! I will be posting a complete thread on my snow thrower once complete as well.

JDAddict

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1680.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Welcome to GTT JDA! Yes, I guess I started the first thread here about electrolysis back many months ago. I love using this method myself. Easy as sin really when you get it set up proper.

#3 JDAddict OFFLINE  

JDAddict

• 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to GTT JDA! Yes, I guess I started the first thread here about electrolysis back many months ago. I love using this method myself. Easy as sin really when you get it set up proper.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Good to see a fellow electrolysis believer!

It is so simple it is fool proof. I may never sandblast again!

JDA

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:51 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.

Electrolysis is a great method for cleanup and rust removal. Here is a link to olcowhand's original article: Garden Tractor Talk - Removing Rust with Electrolysis

If you do a search for electrolysis I believe there are a couple of guys using this method including me.

#5 JDAddict OFFLINE  

JDAddict

• 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.

Electrolysis is a great method for cleanup and rust removal. Here is a link to olcowhand's original article: Garden Tractor Talk - Removing Rust with Electrolysis

If you do a search for electrolysis I believe there are a couple of guys using this method including me.

Thanks for the link. Great article olcowhand!

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to GTTalk JDAddict. I have a 50 gal tank that I used this summer with great success. It sure beats getting the rust off by hand with grinding wheels etc.

#7 joecdeere OFFLINE  

joecdeere

• Member No: 5523
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 08:51 PM

been doing it since the late 90's,
every part on this tractor was cleaned that way, blaster rarely gets hooked up any more!
Posted Image

Acquired a 350 galllon plasic cube tank that I now use on big parts, cleaning a PowerKing 2418 in it now
Posted Image

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 08:55 PM

And a welcome to GTT to you too Joe!

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 01:58 AM

Welcome to both of you. I, too, am a firm believer in this process. Just waiting for warmer weather to do some more things.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:44 AM

:wave: JDAddict & joecdeere Welcome to GTTalk! Nice looking projects you have going on there! Hope you continue to enjoy the forum and we're looking forward to some after pics!

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Nice projects, the electrolysis system is a wonderful addition to the restoration hobbyist's tools.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:09 PM

Welcome joe. That's a nice looking restoration you have going there. It is a big bonus for me to have that tank. I am making up a better power supply for mine over the winter so I can turn the voltage up a bit and speed things up. 350gallons would hold just about anything. What I have seen done for frames is to take some pond liner and dig a hole the right size and voila, instant temporarry tank. The best part is you don't need to invest a lot of money to get one of these up and running. Also, there is no noise, so the neighbors never know you're derusting old iron! LOL

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Welcome JDAddict & joecdeere hope you enjoy GTTalk the way I have. I do have a question. I read through olcowhand article on Electrolysis and it he mentioned protecting the metal right after you take it out from flash rusting, but in Joe's pictures it looks like his tractor has been derusted and is still bare. So the question is how soon after Electrolysis do you need to put protection on it? I got the impression in the article that it needed to be done as soon as possible after you take the part out.

#14 JDAddict OFFLINE  

JDAddict

• 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Welcome JDAddict & joecdeere hope you enjoy GTTalk the way I have. I do have a question. I read through olcowhand article on Electrolysis and it he mentioned protecting the metal right after you take it out from flash rusting, but in Joe's pictures it looks like his tractor has been derusted and is still bare. So the question is how soon after Electrolysis do you need to put protection on it? I got the impression in the article that it needed to be done as soon as possible after you take the part out.

It will definitely "flash rust" very quickly. I just used some light penetrating oil (WD40) to protect things until I am ready for paint. Worked great for me.
  • JDBrian and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:18 PM

I have found another way to remove rust using molasses, I haven't tried this method yet, but it seems to work.