Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens two wheel tractor aluminum hood - any value?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:45 AM

I bought a powerking this weekend, and while I was talking to the seller, he offered to sell me an old bolens two wheeled tractor. Curious, I walked behind his barn to take a look.

I don't know anything about these little tractors, but I know you rarely see them with hoods (many came without hoods, though). This little thing was really rough, but it had a small, aluminum hood with faded paint that was in great shape. The aluminum looked very thick and robust.

It had the model name, but I forgot it! I was just looking online for pictures of old bolens to make a memory comparison too but couldn't find one like it.

Is this something worth looking into? Would something like that be valuable?

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:26 PM

well if its acomplete tractor its probally worth a second look. The hood would be two parts, the part on top of the engine which was a tin part, on some models it has SS strips down each side. The front nose part would be made of Alminum and could have a bolen emblam, or the word bolens cast into the front, some didnt have anything but an FMC sticker on them. On the sides of the hood it could have said Versamatic, or maybe power hoe. Could have a model 6 briggs or a kolher engine. If it was the kolher then the air cleaner top is going to come up though the hood. I'd go get it, if nothing else its good for trading stock.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,947 Thanks
  • 17,309 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:41 PM

well if its acomplete tractor its probally worth a second look. The hood would be two parts, the part on top of the engine which was a tin part, on some models it has SS strips down each side. The front nose part would be made of Alminum and could have a bolen emblam, or the word bolens cast into the front, some didnt have anything but an FMC sticker on them. On the sides of the hood it could have said Versamatic, or maybe power hoe. Could have a model 6 briggs or a kolher engine. If it was the kolher then the air cleaner top is going to come up though the hood. I'd go get it, if nothing else its good for trading stock.

:ditto:

#4 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Thats it! It was a versamatic. Worth $50? One rim was completely rotted away.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:52 PM

id probally get it for that price, rims arent that hard to find. The nice part of getting a versa is you get reverse, the lower priced models didnt have one.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,947 Thanks
  • 17,309 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:53 PM

Any attachments with it?
If its in fair condition and mostly complete I guess $50 is a fair price. It is very common to find the rims rusted out as the majority of them were filled with calcium

#7 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 01:39 PM

It has a cultivator attached. I see it isn't worth much. I was just checking, thought maybe I found something worth picking up to resell. Thanks for the answers.

Any attachments with it?
If its in fair condition and mostly complete I guess $50 is a fair price. It is very common to find the rims rusted out as the majority of them were filled with calcium

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,377 Thanks
  • 5,277 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thats it! It was a versamatic. Worth $50? One rim was completely rotted away.

The cast iron hood fronts are the rare one's .
The rime are the same as on the older cubs like the C so there not to hard to fined.
  • fort apache and CornerFarm have said thanks

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 01:35 PM

The cast iron hood fronts are the rare one's .
The rime are the same as on the older cubs like the C so there not to hard to fined.

So your saying that Bolen made a cast iron nose piece for a walking tractor?? Do you have a photo of one??

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,377 Thanks
  • 5,277 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 02:42 PM

So your saying that Bolen made a cast iron nose piece for a walking tractor?? Do you have a photo of one??

I dont have a photo off hand but I have seen them and they do come up on ebay.