• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 05:21 PM

Well, got everything all bolted down, hooked up & running. The 1655 is now an 1855 with this rebuilt 18hp Onan. She runs great, but a gremlin somewhere in the wiring. When the 16hp engine was in it, every now & then I would hear what I "thought" was a flywheel screen hitting the shrouding. Well, the same thing with the B48G engine. It's the starter kicking in for just a split second! I thought key switch, so took it apart, but nothing wrong with it. I replaced all the wiring when I 1st got the tractor, and all is still in perfect shape. All it leaves is a bad solenoid, so gotta dig another one up & switch it out. Last time it did it, it caused my breaker to overheat & would do nothing till it reset.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 05:51 PM

If you find out what is causing that,let us know.My 1655 does the very same thing every once in a while,and I have been able to track it down.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:37 AM

HI Daniel & Maynard been busy as of late just saw this post this morning and it got me to thinking. I had a motor do this as well I'am not real sure if it was the onan on the MF 1655 or another motor.It wasn't the electrical doing that with the starter,what I found was that it was actually the spring on the end of the bendix of the starter drive that was to weak.The suction of the flywheel spinning draws air wihich in turn pulls the starter drive into the flywheel.I believe I just stretched the spring out a bit[not sure if I replaced the spring as well] I'am not 100% sure if it was on that motor or another I'am kinda leary of posting this because of me not being too sure and I'am not to particalair of looking like a [old fool] Maybe as the day goes by I'll figure out if it was on the onan.Larry

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:50 AM

I think mine is actually electrical, being when it did it the last time, it kicked my circuit breaker. Also, after it reset, when I turned my key to just the "on" position, my engine would turn a few degrees by the starter, then stop. After I cycled the key a few times, it quit doing it, then started & ran just fine. BUT, what you said could definitely happen. Spring is strong on my starter, as I went through the starter before dropping engine into frame. I'm going to take the solenoid completely apart to see what's going on. I won't be a bit surprised if I find nothing. This stuff can drive ya crazy!

Edited by olcowhand, May 19, 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Yeah,mine is not mechanical because I can't find a thing wrong with it that way so mine also may/must be electrical,I'm guessing.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 09:23 AM

I just realized that being my key switch checked out fine, then the only way turning the key would energize the starter is through the ignition relay inside the solenoid that feeds the coil during cranking. Turning the key could backfeed current to the solenoid from the ignition coil feed. I'll get to that solenoid this afternoon late. If there's something broken & shorting across the internal contacts, I could get some weird stuff.

Edited by olcowhand, May 19, 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 10:56 AM

I suppose that is a possibility .

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Got time before lunch to tear into the solenoid. The moving contact plate runs VERY close to the contacts when off. I suspect the return spring has weakened to where the contacts can hit every now & then. I will either replace or stretch the spring & rivet the solenoid back together to see if it still does it. I also removed just a little material from the stationary contacts to give more space, as they run extremely close the way it's made. In the next day or 2, I should know, as it did this every time I got the tractor out & drove it. It NEVER did it sitting still, no matter how long it ran. I suspect bumps & such caused the contacts to touch.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 12:00 PM

Stole some time before bedding stalls with sawdust & got the solenoid back together. Drove it for 15 minutes, up & down the rough farm drive. Before it would have done the starter thing 4 times at least.
Can't make it do it now! :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana: I love a happy ending!

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 12:16 PM

Well,maybe ( I hope ) that is the same problem I have,because I have sort of been racking my brain on this one.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Drove it another 1/2hr....NO problems! It definitely was the starter solenoid.
  • mjodrey said thank you

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 06:50 PM

That's great that you got it figured out.

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 07:10 PM

Drove it another 1/2hr....NO problems! It definitely was the starter solenoid.

It was a good day then!!! always nice to get things figured out thats for sure.Larry

#14 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 - 06:08 AM

Good detective work on your part Daniel! Glad you got it figured out. That's one of those bits of info I'm gooing to file away in the back of my head in case I run into the same problem some time.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Got the exhaust outlet re-routed through the grill today. Also got a new electric fuel pump installed. They only had the 4 to 7 psi pump, but I already had a fuel pressure regulator, so mounted it all up. With a more reliable engine, I can now keep the hood on this Massey! Looks much better with hood on....not nearly as redneck. LOL Now for the guy to drop off the methanol so I can fill the rear tires. Then I'll be ready to tackle the large calf stall. Has a nasty area around the waterer that needs mucked out. Hope it'll do it, as only thing else I have that can do it is the big 910 Cat payloader. It barely fits in there & chance of damaging something.....again.