caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 08:26 AM

:wave: cfd46 Welcome to GTTalk! When you say "jump start", do you mean the screwdriver across the high current terminals of the solenoid, or are you jumping the coil side? If your jumping the coil side, it could be your key switch. If it starts sometimes, it could be a bad connection or a wire that's going bad. It could even still be the key switch or a sketchy ground connection. Sorry to not be more concise, but electrical gremlins, especially intermittent ones, can be a bear to nail down. If you could provide some more details, we may be able to help you narrow it some more.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:15 AM

As said above, make sure you have a good ground (engine chassis) connection back to the battery - terminal. Many times this gets ignored or taken for granted but it can cause you all kinds of grief if it's not a really good low resistance connection.

#4 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:44 AM

having issues as well in my Sears. i have 2 batteries that i know are both good. i actually jump start the battery off my car & the tractor starts rght up. i shut it off & no start again. im thnkn i may be wrong & the batteries may both be shot :-(

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 03:19 PM

:wave: cfd46 Welcome to GTTalk! When you say "jump start", do you mean the screwdriver across the high current terminals of the solenoid, or are you jumping the coil side? If your jumping the coil side, it could be your key switch. If it starts sometimes, it could be a bad connection or a wire that's going bad. It could even still be the key switch or a sketchy ground connection. Sorry to not be more concise, but electrical gremlins, especially intermittent ones, can be a bear to nail down. If you could provide some more details, we may be able to help you narrow it some more.

Caseguy is on the right track here. Another thought would be safety switches in the circuit.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:58 PM

having issues as well in my Sears. i have 2 batteries that i know are both good. i actually jump start the battery off my car & the tractor starts rght up. i shut it off & no start again. im thnkn i may be wrong & the batteries may both be shot :-(

If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery & try to start. Probably see 12+ volts drop to 3 - volts. If so, you have a bad cell in the battery and no amount of messing with it will fix it.
  • plowboy said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:37 PM

My Craftsman had that type of trouble. Turned out the Battery Terminal on the back of the key switch had corroded in half.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Yep, that could do it too... just not show the voltage drop.