• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,630 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:02 AM

First of all, I put this here since the two are separate forums below. I just submitted feedback at the Sears Parts Direct site asking about manuals for the older models of tractors. Here is a copy of what I wrote:
Lots of folks in the Garden Tractor world are looking for manuals for your past GT's. Surely you have them somewhere. Might be able to generate more revenue by offering them for sale. I am a Moderator at a site and folks are always looking for manuals for your older Gt's. There are lots of them still working just as hard as if they were new. I have two myself. One is the 917.253724, repowered with a B43 Onan. The other I cannot pin a model # on as the fender pan was missing when I got it.We have several members with 60's through present Tractors.
I understand not having parts for these older models, but manuals help considerably in getting them up and going after many years of sitting/abuse. Even 'generic' manuals that cover several different models would help folks.
Thank you for your time reading this. And a BIG THANK YOU to Sears for supporting your employees who are serving our country in the military.

I left my e-mail address for them to contact me, so we will see where this goes. If more wish to do this also, the feedback link is at the upper right of there site. I did select 'suggestion' for the note. Maybe if more folks asked for the manuals, something might happen. Anyway, I'll see if they answer.
  • MH81 and plowboy have said thanks

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Great idea Kenny. I'll add to the pile today.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Well i wish you luck, but ill bet youlll get nothing back but a form email. I tried this back 10 or so yrs ago. The problem is that Sears never in the life built any ofthe stuff there sold. At the factory in Kankakee, were many filing cabinets full of manuals for stuff dating back into the early horse drwn days of Bradley. In the late 80's there was a massive labor strike and the company(roper) and the rank&file could never come to terms, so Roper closed the factory and moved the hardware out east. In the process of moving they cleaned out the offices and started to burn the old files, papers and samples. A friend of mine who lives acrosst the tracks from the factory managed to talk them out of the contents of one cabinet. It contains manuals on old/new Suburbans, the late handiman walker , lots of horse equipment, windmills and other things. All the rest is gone, with the only surviving records in the hands of the people who orginally bought the equipment from Sears. A lot of the factory stuff was sold to collectors over the yrs, I got all the early suburban stuff, but it was not a complete listing of the attachments. Some time in the late 90's Electrolux who was the current owner of the Suburban line, gave back to the Bradlet historical group, a 1934 Handiman tractor and both the very first suburban and the 250,000th Suburban, and an orginal Bradley clipper horse plow. I think there is also some minor paper items that arent on garden equipment also. I had always hoped that Sears had stored some extra copies of the paper some place but none have ever shown up so far. As DB collectors we know there were at least 3 printing companies who printed out manuals for all the items sold though the catalog. If some one could id these companies maybe there would be some old paper left in there files. I hope someday to complete my manuals to the early suburban tractors and have a copy of all the ones for the tractors and attachments, at this time there are about 60 numbers known for the 59-65 tractors, and another dozen or so numbers for the outsourced attachments made by places like Dunbar/kapple, Haben, and places like that.
  • Gtractor, caseguy, KennyP and 1 other said thanks