6 replies to this topic

#1 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 02:27 AM

im in the proccess of buying a sears gt16 with no motor. anybody have a motor laying around that will work on this? also any dimensions on original shaft, pulley etc would be appreciated. going to hopefully restore this and if i cant buy an original motor cheap ill probably repower with something else. let me know what you have!

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Was it originally a horizontal or vertical shaft engine? I have an 18hp Kohler vertical shaft out of a GT6000 that would work if the tractor came with the vertical shaft.

#3 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 01:28 PM

it was a vertical

Was it originally a horizontal or vertical shaft engine? I have an 18hp Kohler vertical shaft out of a GT6000 that would work if the tractor came with the vertical shaft.

#4 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 04:37 PM

Do you happen to know the tractors model #?. I'm assuming if it is a GT 18 and had a vertical in her, it's a Murray built machine which would have housed an opposed twin Briggs. I'm pretty sure all the Ropers had horizontals? I'm assuming the tractor is actually badged GT 16? If it is a Murray, any engine that can be used in lieu of an opposed should fit.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 10:05 PM

I enjoy repower threads. There were quite a few LT units that used 10-18 Hp vertical shafts, should be able to find one of those and make it work. Would be nice to know what the shaft size / length was so you could start out close to right.

One point of design. If you find a single cyl unit, you may want to change the pulley on the engine to slow down your belt some. (smaller). The two cyl have a slightly lower rpm than the singles. On a gear drive, it'll just be faster, but on a hydro, some don,t like exceeding the rated max input rpm's and damage may occur.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Ryan and I talked in chat room and he was still a little confused about horizontal and vertical shafts, his GT16 is like my Caterpillar.

#7 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:22 PM

got a lot accomplished today, most of the thing dissasembled, and tore the briggs apart and soaked the carb in gas to clean her up for resale. still need a motor for this project, let me know if you have anything, thanks!http://gardentractortalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=8454&c=522