#1 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 05:39 AM

hello
i have done everything by the book but can't get 4inch height on my mower deck. i only can get 2.5 inch. the only way that i can see is bigger wheels on the back or chain the mower to the frame. if anyone has info would love to hear?
tyler

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,107 Thanks
  • 17,802 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 06:04 AM

Welcome to the Forum, tyler :welcometogttalk:

There are many friendly and knowledgable people here at GTT.

Someone who knows more about massy's than I do should be along to help soon...

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 07:00 AM

:welcometogttalk:tyler.When you say you can't get 4" of height,do you mean mowing height ,or do you mean the deck won't lift any higher than that.Mowing height should be adjusted by the lever on the right side of the deck.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,059 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Just a side comment.....I find that most mower decks are set too low these days........I know on the older MFs (10, 12, 14 etc) ...you just raise it with the lever (lift) a bit.

Welcome Tyler....where in Ont are you?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 09:47 AM

The rear wheels on the deck set the height, BUT if the front arms aren't adjusted proper, then the front of deck will tip downward, giving a low cut. The lower arms are adjustable. Shortening them raises the deck's front. Get it on level surface, like concrete pad, then adjust till the blades are level.

#6 dakin OFFLINE  

dakin

• Member No: 675
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 12:13 PM

Just a note when i was taught at JD to set blade hieghts on a mower deck the front was always 1/8 of an inch below the rear. measuring was to hard so we just used 2 sockets nice and quick!

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 5,443 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just a note when i was taught at JD to set blade hieghts on a mower deck the front was always 1/8 of an inch below the rear. measuring was to hard so we just used 2 sockets nice and quick!

We did the same thing when I worked for the landscaper, always set the front lower than the back, used to set at 2 1/2" at the front 2 3/4" at the back and we did it the same way you said using a deep socket 2 1/2" long.
Setting them up like this gives a cleaner faster cut.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 12:41 PM

I usually just tell people to set them level, as usually in real time use, the front will sag just a tad. But yes, you are correct that the front is to run a shade lower than the rear.

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 173 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 12:01 PM

The rear wheels on the deck set the height, BUT if the front arms aren't adjusted proper, then the front of deck will tip downward, giving a low cut. The lower arms are adjustable. Shortening them raises the deck's front. Get it on level surface, like concrete pad, then adjust till the blades are level.

I'm having the same trouble with my 1655 mid mount mower........at the highest setting of the back gauge wheels the front of the mower is tipped way down but when I try to shorten the front rods using the clevis turnbuckles when I shorten them I cannot get them latched back in the quick release hangers again??? I leveled the deck according to the manual but something is wrong!......after I shorten the turnbuckles do I need to set the gauge wheels so the deck is laying on the concrete(all the way down) to reconnect the rods in the hangers? Your talking lower arms......what set of lower arms are u talking about......theres 3 sets of arms under there!?

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,295 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 12:10 PM

I haven't had a chance to mess with the deck on my 1655 yet but if it is anything like the deck for the 12 when you adjust the front arms to get the right height in the front they are basically impossible to put back in. With the 12 this is easily remedied by lifting the deck and inch or two with the lift lever and then the front arms can be put in pretty easily. Like I said I haven't had a chance to mess with the deck on my 1655 yet so I don't know how it will compare to the 12

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,821 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 02:54 PM

They are hard to put back in for sure, and when in are under quite a strain. Mine even broke and I had to make new ones. That was years ago and my memory fades about the "how-to" of them. I quit using the deck after my pulleys wore out.