wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I dont know what tractor the CAT is but does it have points?

Like everyone else is saying walk away when you get aggrevated. I find myself doing this quite often lately

Craftsman GT18 with 18 horse Briggs opposed twin, no points, magneto. I am getting closer to the tractor working correctly by the way, details are in the other thread.

#17 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:01 PM

I agree, sometimes ya gotta just put the tools down and walk away. Get a new perspective.

I have a little mini-X, and sometimes it's nice to just go out and dig up stumps on the back trails when a repair gets the best of me. I could have got rid of the stumps a long time ago, but have been saving a few for therapy. Or taking the 22 and shooting a few soda cans to pieces. Whatever works for you. I had to give up the sledge - just made more repair work when I calmed down!

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have a shop rule: "If I want to throw something, pick up a wrench, and if I have to throw that wrench, throw it down, never up, or across the shop." So far the rule has worked, but the other day I was more mad than usual, so I almost went after a sledge hammer... If I had known where to go and what I have to unlock to get to it... I might have done it... but it was more hassle than it was worth to me...

#19 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:19 PM

I took the ole 30-30 out the other day and blew some stuff up, definitly put me in a better mood!

#20 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:36 PM

... if I have to throw that wrench, throw it down, never up, or across the shop."...

I tried this a couple times... Did you know that wrenches bounce? Ask me how I know..........:wallbanging:

Bounced back up right into the tender part of my shin, making a nice little cut and a big bruise. Actually hurt the wife more than it hurt me though. She was just walking into the shop and witnessed my meltdown, she said she bit her tongue several times to keep from laughing at me! She had to turn around and walk back out and busted out laughing as she went.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:39 PM

China wrenches don't bounce as much LOL, at least on wood flooring.

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 04:26 AM

Not much has gotten the best of me, but there was this 112 JD that just set me off, every time I fixed something it broke somewhere else, and that techumseh engine it had..... It fell victim to the 320 Linkbelts bucket and thumb, and the really sad part.... I felt soooooo good crunching it into a little ball.
I don't throw wrenched, too exspensive to replace, or repair what you ruined doing so. I just stop and rationalize the situation, is it worth the trouble, to fix this thing, or replace it. I usually repair it on the count that I'm frugal, yeah that's it, frugal, not cheap :thumbs:

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hi,my name is Maynard,and I used a hammer.Then,I found H.A.(Hammers Anonymous ):D

Like has been said,set the tool down,close the door,and go do something else for a while.

Been there,done that.

#24 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:05 PM

Pain seems to flip that "throw a tool" switch as well, at least for me. Actually, the hammer (smacking my hand instead of a punch/nail/etc) has been responsible for several tool trajectories. Or barking your knuckles when a wrench/socket/screwdriver slips... My mind tells me it is senseless to throw the tool, but the body just seems to get some satisfaction out of launching it. Maybe the injured limb gets some satisfaction out of getting revenge against the tool that hurt it?

#25 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:10 PM

When you get OLDER it won't bother you as much. If it still there tomorrow OK if not it is still OK. You will be OK.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Many years ago, when I was young, Dad had an 11/16 inch boxed end wrench. Open end was "modified" for some other purpose, but the box was nice looking. Thing looked new and fit great... until you tried to use it, there was a hairline crack in the box that worked like a torque wrench. When you got almost enough pressure on it, it would slip & you'd skin your knuckles or smack yourself.

I threw that wrench away 3-4 times, always found it's way back in the tool tray & I always forgot it was bad.

I was having a particularly bad day, working on a car. Grabbed that wrench & pulled... should've gone to the hospital for stitches.

Instead of seeking medical help, I put the wrench in the vise, fired up Dad's LincolnArc and turned it all the way up. Cut that wrench lengthwise. Threw half in garbage can and half over the hill in the scrap steel pile. Felt better after that... New i'd never have to deal with it again & the bleeding had almost stopped too.

Like Dale said, as you get older, you begin to calm.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:16 AM

Yep we've all been there and walking away is the est answer. I had a 66 Opel Kadet and the window regulator broke. I always drove with the window down, but would put it up at night and wedge it with a match book. After it fell down about 4 times before I could get it wedged.
I cut loose with a cresent kick and caved in the door. Then my smart alek father in law asked me if it worked better?
Even though I am older and wiser, and walk away, sometimes I don't get much done?

#28 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:27 AM

I had a 66 Opel Kadet and ...[/U]

My first car was one of the little german Opels! I had one of the little station wagons. Not the sexiest car for a 16 year old, but we had good times in it!