wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 02:38 PM

Today was a good day turned sour... Ed and his buddy Steve had just left and I was picking up and putting stuff away for the day.. The Caterpillar had been restarting fine this afternoon so I hooked it to the Case 444, which will not start any more, to it with a chain to pull it back up the ramp int0 my shop. Turned the key and cranked the engine for too long more than 4 times with no offer what so ever... So that meant unhooking the chain and shoving two of them into the shop!! Both of them Heavy!! So I shoved the Caterpillar in with minimal issue and Dad's help, but was not happy about it... Then came the 444... which would not shove up the ramp no matter what... so I left it sit for 10 minutes....

Ended up dropping the sleeve hitch of the Cat on the ground and and letting it dig into my floor and hooking the block around the pintle on the Caterpillar... then hooked the winch hook to the implement pin on the Case 444... I winched in the Case with no issue, but wasn't happy about it...

Like I said... I am about ready to beat them both with a sledge hammer!!!

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, December 17, 2011 - 03:25 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like it's time to close the shop doors & walk away for a bit. Never a good thing to keep working when frustration is up to that level!

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 03:28 PM

I know Dan, and I walked into the shop for 10 minutes until I was just so digusted about the Case 444 that I finally decided to attempt to winch it with the sleeve hitch lifting winch on the Caterpillar... I was certain it was going to result in more broken stuff but surprisingly.. it didn't... so that redeemed the Caterpillar.. for now... but that stupid 444 needs help... anyone want to help me out and buy it... and possibly for close to what I have in it..

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Sorry about all your troubles , don't those Case tractors have some kind of " freewheeling" valve ? I think my JD has a lever to turn when you want to move it , hey a good winch will just drag it right ? Al

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I repair lab instrumentation for a living. Sometimes it's old and should have been retired long ago but needs to be kept running. I run into some really difficult problems that sometimes leave me frustrated. I usually try to take a break from it and move on to something else. Then, once I can be unemotional about it again, I sit down and write down the symptoms, the history and what has already been done. Then I think about how the machine works. What assumptions have I made that may have been wrong etc.
The bottom line for me after 30 years of doing this is that for some repairs you really need to know how something works at a very high level. So what I do is try to increase my knowledge of how the machine works before going back at trying to fix it. This has worked for me numerous times in the past when I have gotten bogged down. This can be a humbling experience, but in the end, having more knowledge about how something works increases your likelihood of getting it repaired.
  • mikebramel, mjodrey, dstaggs and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I've been there, and usually walk away for a bit....the problem is I can't stand broken gear so it drives me crazy thinking about it and I usually end up right back in there but without the level of frustration I left with.

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Just take a break, even for longer than you think you should. If you are still frustrated, leave it for a long time. I have a project in the garage just sitting there. I will no doubt be working on it in January now. It will be cold, cramped from everything else in the garage, but it will be the right time to do it. I haven't come to terms with it yet. Hang in there.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:41 PM

Turned the key and cranked the engine for too long more than 4 times with no offer what so ever..

Wait a second !!!! Didn't I just post in your thread about this tractor " not being able to shut off " , hope you get to the bottom of the problem , Al

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Al, shutting it off is easy as dropping the throttle since the low idle jet is clogged... It's getting it started that is giving me fits still.... I guess I need to unclog the low idle jet and see if that helps it starting... then I will worry about getting it to shut off...... mabey...

#10 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 05:12 PM

I'd go out and try to start it again. If it fails to start, pull a plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If it is dry, it is a fuel issue. If it is wet...the fun is just getting started. :D

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 05:16 PM

I'd go out and try to start it again. If it fails to start, pull a plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If it is dry, it is a fuel issue. If it is wet...the fun is just getting started. :D

It probably flooded as much as I cranked it... because I know it is getting plenty of fuel...

#12 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Compression test? a little "luv" time with the ignition wires and a multi testor?

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 07:23 PM

I thought I was the only one that smashed stuff with a sledge hammer, or Skidder tire , or excavator bucket, the latter being my all time favorite :thumbs:

#14 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I dont know what tractor the CAT is but does it have points?

Like everyone else is saying walk away when you get aggrevated. I find myself doing this quite often lately

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:09 PM

I dont know what tractor the CAT is but does it have points?

Like everyone else is saying walk away when you get aggrevated. I find myself doing this quite often lately

Did aggravation have anything to do with your GTT name? LOL