#1 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:49 PM

Ok all you sod busters out there I have a few questions. I am thinking about getting into doing some plow days and was wondering what you guys thought about me using my wheel horse 414-8 with a wheel horse style sleeve hitch ? If you think i`ll be ok I was thinking a 10 inch plow but I need to know what lift setup goes on this tractor, is it a rod , cable , bar or what. Also is their a lift assist spring setup that can be used?
I still need to find some ag tires for it but I want to try to be ready for spring. Any info you all can provide will be helpfull.

THANKS DON.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:54 PM

You should do fine with a 10 inch plow behind your Wheel Horse. Not sure on the lift setup though, but there will be some knowledgeable WH guys in shortly. Good luck.
  • truck21 said thank you

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:57 PM

Wheel Horse uses a cable that goes through a rod to lift their sleeve hitch. Look on ebay and you should be able to find the lift cable assembly.
  • truck21 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 01:59 AM

The only 414 I have seen had a rocker shaft under the seat that was part of the lift assembly. Cable went From the lift assembly to the rocker, then I believe chain to the lift.

As for power for a 10", Caseguy's 314 does a great job plowing. You will want lots of weight for the rears and you might want to consider ribbed tires for the front to help with steering.
  • truck21 said thank you

#5 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 07:51 AM

I have a raider 12 that i plow with.I used the 10in plow and it did fine w/wheel weights.I also had to weight the front end to keep it down to steer.If you can't find the cable i made mine at paul b zimmermans hardware store they had the cable and crimps for the cable.It cost me $2 for everything.Longeneckers might have that also.I never checked.Just something to look into.
  • truck21 said thank you

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 09:20 AM

The only 414 I have seen had a rocker shaft under the seat that was part of the lift assembly. Cable went From the lift assembly to the rocker, then I believe chain to the lift.

As for power for a 10", Caseguy's 314 does a great job plowing. You will want lots of weight for the rears and you might want to consider ribbed tires for the front to help with steering.

That's the lift assembly I was talking about.

As mentioned here, you can make your own lift assembly with some cable and crimps, etc.
  • truck21 said thank you

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Late to the party again! :ditto: to what everyone has been saying! The lift cable for your 414-8 should still be available from your local (former) Wheel Horse dealer. Be prepared to pay for it though. I believe that I spent about $40 for it. I would've made one myself, but I wanted it to be OEM and couldn't find the same (exact) type of fittings available. I'm a purist when it comes to my tractors, but if you want to do it yourself, it will work just fine. The Operator's manual is in the Manuals section Here. The parts manual is Here. This should give you an idea what you're looking for / at.
  • truck21 said thank you