New tractor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 abushey123 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4054
  • 13 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hello I have a massey furgison 35 special gas tractor just got it today. My problem is is that it does not run. Well what can you expect from a free tractor. It looks like the wireing is still good. Any suggestions on what to do first? I will get pics very soon maybe tomarrow.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Congrats on the new acquisition! Those 35's are fantastic work horses! A good start for some help would be letting us all know what you've tried and what the results were. Does it crank, does it pop a little. Let us know what you've found.

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:42 PM

If it cranks over first thing i would check woulb be that it has spark.If it has spark,is it getting fuel.If it sat for a while carb is probably gummed up.Clean out the carb and make sure the needle valve moves freely with the float.Just a couple things to start with.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yep, check the basics first. Fuel, air, timing, compression and spark. Any tractor that's been sitting for awhile should have the fuel system drained, flushed and refilled with fresh fuel as a first step. Give it a good once over and you may find the problem.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,251 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Make sure the oil is up to proper level FIRST thing! It's funny how one can get so excited over something new & not to think to check the oil! Not that I've ever done that! LOL

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 05:49 AM

Congrats,I'm sure you didn't go wrong,being free.

#7 abushey123 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4054
  • 13 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Well first off all the electronics look like they just came out if a box. It does crank. I will see of it has spark today and maybe if I get around to it clean the carb. All I can say is that is was a great find cuz it has Brand new tiers. I will try to get some pics of the tractor.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 07:09 AM

If you find that it has spark, while you're waiting for the carb to soak clean, go get some new spark plugs. Seeings how it was free, small

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 03:25 PM

Congrats on getting a pretty nice project tractor and you just can't beat the price! Keep us updated as to what you have tried and the results. If you have a compression tester and it is turning over well you could do a quick check of the compression and get an idea of what shape the engine might be in. Do you have any history of the tractor? That might help in trouble shooting it. Hopefully you will get lucky like I did when I bought my H farmall. It had sat in a shed for 12 years and only needed a battery, gas and filling the points and the old girl purred like a kitten. Good luck and keep us posted!

#10 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 12:48 AM

As has been said, check the basics - air, spark, fuel.

When I get something of unknown history, I usually do a compression check and a leakdown test as soon as I can. Especially the leakdown - will tell you a lot about where the engine is worn/needs adjustment. You can use an adjustable spark gap to test the health of the ignition system. Weak spark (dirty contacts, failing coil, etc) may LOOK ok, but can be the source of a lot of erratic starting/running. If it has been sitting (especially gas engines), flush and clean the carb and fuel system. It may seem a little anal, but replace all the filters and fluids - so you know they are ok. You can usually borrow/rent any specialized tools you need for these steps at the local auto parts house.

Then, once it's running, I go through and adjust/check the adjustment on everything (brakes, clutch, throttle, choke, steering, belts, etc.). Check hoses (water, oil, fuel and hydraulic) for cracking/damage - replace what you need to. And check all the bolts I can get to to ensure nothing is loose.

It takes a little time to go through this routine, but you get to go over the tractor and find out what shape it is in - often will find problems before they cause failures. And you establish a baseline so you can recognize problems that crop up in the future.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,704 Thanks
  • 28,347 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 02:42 AM

You have a very nice tractor there. I grew up on a TO35, basically the same tractor.
If someone replaced the points, check to make sure they put the right ones in, and that they aren't grounding out on the case or pivot pin or where the bolt goes out thru the case of the distributor.
Another spark killer on these is the little bar on the rotor can come off. Easy enough to miss if your distracted.
Ummm...:blush2: been there :blush2:

The Service manual for it can be found:
MF50 Shop Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

And a good carb manual for most of them can be found:
Marvel Schebler Carb Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Please keep us up to speed, and, as mentioned above, I would like to see pics also.