Do you draw a blueprint first or no?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 craneway OFFLINE  

• Member No: 257
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 02:04 PM

Having a background in metal fab and fixturing for the auto industry. blue prints are part of my life . at home i always draw something down on paper i also jot down a materal list. it helps figuring cost for the project. and yes sometimes on paper and the real life are two different things. I always wanted a loader it might a future project

#17 lawnguy456 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 407
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 02:19 PM

I never use a blue print. I usually figure out some basic dimensions before I start a project. If you get the basic dimensions right then anything else can be changed if necessary. I do alot of my design work laying in bed or sitting on an old 5 gallon bucket about 20 feet from my project. Sitting just looking at it from a distance makes a huge difference. I aint sayin it always goes well but I rarely have trouble when I'm done. I would have a hard time working for a large manufacturer where my job was to design equipment. When I would say give me a piece of steel and a 5 gallon bucket and let me alone for a month or two they probably wouldn't care for that answer. Drawings have their place but in my garage I don't have to answer to nobody or need to convince someone to let me build a certain design or shape. So blueprints have no place in my garage except the fire pit to keep me warm in the winter.

#18 broken2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 11:07 PM

I have a boring job so most of the day I am daydreaming about projects, don't tell my boss. A lot of times I will sketch some ideas but once I get a picture in my head of what I want and how I'm gonna do it I just work from that and it always evolves along the way. I do write down measurements.

#19 rrmccabe OFFLINE  

• Member No: 446
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 09:25 AM

I honestly don't build anything without drawing in AutoCAD first. I used to design equipment for a living and I can "concept" faster on a keyboard than I can doing it as I go.

A lot of the stuff that I build has geometry involved so nice to test all my linkages, etc on paper first.

Not to mention I have a company close to me that waterjets pretty cheap. My last project I sent them a DXF and had all the pieces waterjetted including all the bolt holes.