#16 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 12:11 AM

Well just a little update on my project,.. I had a heck of a time getting the motor pulled on my 1476,. BUT, A BIGGER HAMMER did help lo.l The drive-line needed some Major persuasion. But my 6 foot pry bar, WOULD NOT be denied,. lol the wisc. 14 horse is getting a complete work-over,.
A couple of questions,,I have 15 inch tires but when I measured the wheels,, they measure 16 inches from outside to outside,. So do I need 16 inch tractor tires or 15 inch tires,.? Also would anyone have a source for the lug type tires to fit mine. Thanks gg

#17 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 12:22 AM

Thanks bhts,. That finally cleared up the mystery,. Mine is def. a 1476,, I sure do thank you,. It's nice to know for sure which one I'm working on,lol That will help a lot.
Man I really am glad I found this site,. It's so helpful.,,gg

#18 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have 15 inch tires but when I measured the wheels,, they measure 16 inches from outside to outside,. So do I need 16 inch tractor tires or 15 inch tires,.?

Wheels are not measured by their largest outside diameter, or outside width. .....They are measured where the tire sits on the rim.

The 1476 used 27x8.50-15 tires in either Lawn & Garden tread (Bolens # 18018 for pair) or Agricultural tread (Bolens # 18019 for pair).

Other options for the 1476 were Bolens #18016 High-Floatation Terra L&G tread in 26x1200-12 size or Bolens #18017 High-Flotation Terra Agricultural tread in 26x1200-12 size.
  • Bolens 1000 and ggraserusa have said thanks

#19 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Bruce ,Thank you so much, for the information. I just don't know how you guys keep coming up the answers to ALL my questions, But equally as frustrating as not being able to find this info. on my own.
Now I know one reason is because you have a lot of years,ding this, so I suppose it would be ridiculous to ask you 9YOUR LITTLE SECRETS) of how and where I should be looking, in order to find info on my own,. I absolutely, appreciate all the help, but if i could do it also, I wouldn't have to bug you guys, in the forum,. BUT Since I"M here,. Where as the best place and price for the tires. I'm esp interested in the lug type tires,.??. So to end this BOOK,lol I really want to say THANK YOU,....gg

#20 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 01:31 PM

One good source is the manual section here where you can download a host of manuals. Just look at the sticky section at the top for the link. The Tube frame, and Large Frame service manuals are really helpful for identification purposes.

Then there is this page at Sonnys bolens:
BOLENS TRACTOR IDENTIFICATION

It's not 100% accurate, but is still a good resource.

As for tires, Google is probably your best bet. Also, don't overlook ATV tires. I'm giving serious consideration to a pair of these for my 1886:
OE John Deere Gator 26x11-12 CST Ancla ATV TIRE 6ply | eBay

The ones in the link are 26x11x12, but there are also 26x12x12s available as well.

There is a guy over on the MTF forums that has them on his GT and he loves them. Says that they are better than the traditional GT Ag tires.

#21 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Bruce ,Thank you so much, for the information. I just don't know how you guys keep coming up the answers to ALL my questions, But equally as frustrating as not being able to find this info. on my own.

You're welcome! .....I try to help when I can.

My Dad was a Bolens dealer from 1950-1984. ....I worked in his shop for 20+ years, and I kept many of the old manuals.

Some of the info is from the manuals, and some info is remembered from work experience. ....CRS has eliminated much from my memory.