#1 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have to say. that I love this forum and it is most informative in learning more about my bolens.I seem to have a perplexing problem identifying my large frame bolens.All the id# tags are gone. Here is my problem,. I have what I think is a #1476. The reason I think this is because it has a wisc. 614d, it is husky and according to a set of decals available, it has all the same things that mine has and they match the decal. Now I think the decals on the 1477 are a little dif.
According to the wisc. engine checklist, the engine is a 1976 , 614d,but if it is a 1476 or 1477 made in 70 and 71, why would it have a 76 engine? It doesn't look to be a replacement engine,.The #'s on the engine are model#614d Type 324744 the serial 35595178..
Any help would be appreciated.
Mine smoke like a freight train, and I'm' pulling the engine for overhaul .I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the driveline to move back so the engine can lift out. Do I have to pull all the front end off to get it out, or is there something I not seeing??
I hope I've explained it well enough to get some help here . Thanks to all who could help. George

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:07 PM

:wave: ggraserusa Welcome to GTTalk! For some reason our spam filter flagged your post. I've approved it and you should be getting some replies soon! I'm afraid that I'm not a Bolens guy and can't help in that respect. Thanks for signing up!

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:17 PM

Have you removed the bolt that connects the driveshaft to the motor crank?Also some pb blaster on that area will help as the driveshaft may be frozen to the crank.Also there is a motor mount plate that will need unbolted to allow the motor to move.

#4 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:48 PM

THANK YOU VERY . although I don't
know much about computers, I have heard others mentioned that sort of spam thing. I don't know what it really means or why Iv'e been flagged for it. but if I could find out, maybe I could do something. So thanks for letting me know and if you know of what I need to do,, let me know, please thanks again,, George

#5 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 03:05 PM

Thank you for your reply bhts. I should have been more specific,. Yes I removed the bolt and yes I had to use pb. lol but it came out easier than I thought it would. I remember seeing the motor mount bolts. I may be premature in asking these questions because I haven't removed the motor mounts yet,. BUT it looks like the motor has to move forward away from the drive line in order for the motor to lift out,. It also looks to me that it won't move far enough forward without hitting the belt pulleys. I can't see where the shaft would move at all to help, so I assume it's the motor that has to move,. I very much appreciate your help. This tractor is my winter project and I cant wait for it to go back together., and just think.. I don't even have the motor out yet lol.Thanks again for your help. George

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 04:06 PM

It's not something that you did, It generally flags first posts if they are long and have a lot of numbers in them LOL. You shouldn't have to worry about it anymore! Bob (bhts) really knows his stuff so you're in great hands there! He's also one of our site sponsors and will probably be able to get you whatever you need for your project! Thanks for your comments on the site as well. Everyone likes to hear they're doing a good job!
  • ggraserusa said thank you

#7 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thank you case guy, for your reply,. Also it's good to have a go to guy, esp. since this is my first project,. I'm sure he will be tired of all my questions very soon lol George

#8 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:40 PM

According to the wisc. engine checklist, the engine is a 1976 , 614d,but if it is a 1476 or 1477 made in 70 and 71, why would it have a 76 engine? It doesn't look to be a replacement engine,.The #'s on the engine are model#614d Type 324744 the serial 35595178.

A minor correction, but your Wisconsin engine is an S14D, not 614D.

According to info published by Bolens (which is not always 100% correct), the Wisconsin S14D was only used in 1969, 1970, & 1971, as follows:

1969 Bolens 1455 model 198-01 used Wisconsin S14D spec # 309245
1969 Bolens 1455 model 198-02 used Wisconsin S14D spec # 318974

1970 & 1971 Bolens 1476-01 used Wisconsin S14D spec # 318974

1971 Bolens 1477-01 used Wisconsin S14D spec # 342332

If indeed, your engine dates to 1976, the engine has been replaced at some time.
  • Bolens 1000 and ggraserusa have said thanks

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:53 PM

I forgot earlier to say :welcome:

You will need to remove the gas tank and the battery mount to remove the motor.I have always found it easy to unbolt the motor from the cradle to remove them.The driveshaft will not move back enough to unhook it from the motor so the motor will need to be moved forward.I have never been the best of typing instructions so if you need some help pm me your number and i will be happy to help you out.

#10 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Bruce for the response, Yes, my bad , it is a s14D, How ever my type #is 324744, and I DID double checked the # lol.The serial is 5595176.Surely all that means something.Since the motor has obviously been replaced,the type #might not be a way to identify the model itself,huh. I wonder , what are the differences between the 1476 and1477. Like I said all the #s are gone off the tractor itself,I'm still leaning toward 1476.I hope I'm not a pest here,but if I'm going to do a restore, I have to ask questions. I read that that the hydraulics were heavier in the 1477. So I wonder how to tell the difference between the two hydraulic systems, Maybe that would identify which one and which year it is.Well any way thanks for the input and help I really apreciate it George

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:02 AM

ok,

I ran the serial number you posted and the engine was produced May 1976

If you post a picture of your tractor someone may be able to identify it by looking at it.

#12 ggraserusa OFFLINE  

ggraserusa

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thanks bolens 1000
I'll try to get a few pics taken That will be an adventure all in itself FOR ME ANYWAY, gg

#13 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 09:54 AM

One of the biggest differences between the 1476 and 1477 is the hydraulic lift handle.On the 1476 it is at the bottom of the dash and is a long handle that has a bend in it making it rise towards the top.On the 1477 it is towards the top of the dash tower and sticks straight out of the dash about 3-4 inches and the dash is sloted where it comes out.Also the 1476 has what is called a lift position knob the set the height of the lift and the 1477 does not.

#14 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 11:18 AM

I will see if i have a pic between the two and post them.

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Maybe this will help.The first pic is of a 1477 note the hudraulic lift handle location and the lack of a lift hight knob.

Second would be a 1476 dash hydraulic handle different and does have the lift knob.

dash 002.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• dash 001.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi and ggraserusa have said thanks