Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else have to put up with an obnoxious co worker ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:21 AM

If I'm not here any more, its because I clobbered this meat head!
The most negative, mouthy, " no body is better than me" ,first to spout a name, useless individual I think I have ever met in my life. And because the place I work at is union, he is still here!
I love this job , but having to deal with this guy is giving me more than second thoughts?
I think I may need to see if I can force a DQ on this guy, as he is completely useless . Can't read a print, refuses to repair machines, wanders around yapping constantly ,and had fallen so far behind I now have twice the work because he is useless.
I need another coffee, or a drink maybe, this guy HAS gotten under my skin...
Thanks for listening, Amy union advice to get rid of this clown would ne greatly appreciated...

Edited by olcowhand, December 16, 2011 - 09:26 AM.
typo in title..."worket" to "worker"

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:26 AM

I know exactly what you are saying ,Keith.Years ago I worked with a guy just like that.Luckily he wasn't around that long,he got fired.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Keith I can feel for you . Years ago I worked in a small shop 8 guys and 2 guys where so negative it made the whole shop that way , it brought everyone one down. Wish I could tell you a happy ending but can't , the co. closed the garage and moved everyone into other locations . Keep doing a good job and hopefully your bosses will see that and what the other guy is doing and they do something , ( but don't count on it ) Al

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Being union ,it seems the foreman is powerless? I need to bring it to a higher power , they know my value , maybe if I give my notice for this reason, they may do something ? If not then good luck..... I've had it .

#5 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 09:12 AM

One of the main reasons I worked open shops. Document everything, write up grevences(sp?), Talk to Shop Steward, he/she should be able to do something. Let the Steward know people like that give the Local a bad name, and remind him/her that YOUR shop votes that person to their position if you have to go that far. Documentation is key though, leave a good paper trail.
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#6 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Being union ,it seems the foreman is powerless? I need to bring it to a higher power , they know my value , maybe if I give my notice for this reason, they may do something ? If not then good luck..... I've had it .

See how many coworkers share your opinion. Then go to the foreman with a signed letter backing him up. You are not the first person to leave because of him.
I managed a tire center with one griper. Every time he had a complaint, I dialed the union number and handed him the phone. After 6 months of this, the rep came out and almost ripped the glass door off the hinges, went storming into the shop, lined them against a wall, and read the riot act to them. "You cry babies, i have 10 guys waiting for each of your jobs, etc. When he was done, he came in and told me if he heard one more word from any of them, he and I would have a go around.

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Keith
I know what you mean. With my retirement coming up I am currently training that guy to do my job.

#8 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Union guys are the worst... No offense to you that are Union but do work hard... It's just been my experience that the Union guys are the ones that know they can lolly gag around and not get fired. Worst thing that happened to our police force was to let them join a union, now they don't care and don't do crap. This also caused payroll negotiations and blew the annual budgets.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 12:11 PM

I sometimes have to work with a fella like that when he takes a mood......but I can't fire myself! LOL Being self employed has it's benefits. I'd have a VERY tough time working with a moron like you've been dealing with Keith.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Sorry to here of your problem. Our place of business was not union so it was easy for me to deal with this sort of problem. I'm of the mind that the best results can be had by attacking the problem head on and immediately. There are ways to handle this outside the union if they will give you no help. But first and foremost is to document everything including times, dates, and witnesses. These leaches should not be allowed to disrupt the work flow in any shop. Union or non-union. It gives both a bad name.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#11 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 12:24 PM

I used to work with a guy like that and I did just that. I went to the boss and told him it was gonna be this guy or me, but one of us is leaving. This fellow rubbed everyone the wrong way so I had an idea what the results would be, but I still had my fingers crossed that I didn't just talk myself out of a job. The boss took him in and tuned him up and it worked for awhile but didn't last. He left the company for six months or so and then came back a different person. I guess he got a taste of the real world or maybe someone put him in his place. Whatever it was we have a much better work place. I wouldn't recommend putting your job on the line, if that's what you'd be doing, but I know you can only do so much with some people. Gary

#12 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 03:57 PM

twostacks

I used to work with a guy like that and I did just that. I went to the boss and told him it was gonna be this guy or me, but one of us is leaving

As a boss, I wouldn't give that advice. Generally, giving an ultimatim is a fast way out the door, especially if it's in front of other people.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I do work in a union shop and I deal with that kind of people on a daily basis. My way of dealing with it is to just keep doing my job as well as it can be done, toe the line, and keep my nose to the grindstone. Eventually the bosses notice who's doing the work. Even if it takes a while, it will be worth it in the end.

#14 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 917
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 06:55 PM

It's funny, I came home from work tonight steamed over the actions(or inaction) of some new/newer employees, and saw this post! No matter the profession we all have the union/ non-union PIA's. In my opinion caseguy hit the nail on the head, with the exception, if you can look yourself in mirror and know you put in a honest days work, that's what truly matters. Those clowns will eventually hang themselves.

Edited by Orangeman05, December 16, 2011 - 07:32 PM.

• caseguy and Alc have said thanks

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:16 PM

...In my opinion caseguy hit it on the nail on the head

Thanks for the validation Orangeman.

...with the exception, if you can look yourself in mirror and know you put in a honest days work, that's what truly matters. Those clowns will eventually hang themselves.

I've actually said that to my boss...not verbatim, but in spirit. I told him that in truth, I don't work for him, I work for me, so that I can go home at night and sleep with a clear conscience knowing that I gave it all I had.
  • Orangeman05 said thank you