20 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Lets talk headlights. My 900 has lights mounted on the sides up by the steering column. Was this normal or was this a after market add on?:confuse: I have seen other mowers from this age with the same type set up. I like it but since there was no headlights in the hood, should these have been mounted in the sides of the hood up front. Is the headlights a option? Was this a owners preference when he purchased a new mower as to where to mount them. My lights dont work. I have juice to the one side of the switch but nothing when I turn them on. The in line fuse is not burnt. I crossed over the switch and still got nothing. :wallbanging: I hate electrical problems. Should I just get a new switch and go from there. It looks to be a standard pull switch. Hate to by new headlamps just yet. Looking for some expert advice. :worshippy1:

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:30 AM

That is definitely something that was added. The 900's didn't come with headlights,and was not an option.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 06:16 AM

You need a multimeter so you can see if you have 12V to the switch, through the switch, then at the lights. Take the bulbs out and check with a battery to see if they are burnt out. Could be corrosion is not letting power get to the lights. I have seen fuses that look good, but still not work.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 06:59 AM

That is definitely something that was added.

:ditto:
The headlights you have on there are not original

The 900's didn't come with headlights,and was not an option.

I will have to disagree with you on this one, as Head lights were offered as optional equipment on the "round hood models" 600,800,900,1000

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:26 AM

The headlights were normally mounted on the sides of the hood. By looking at your picture, it appears the headlight you have looks real close to the original that was used.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:27 AM

You mean the 900's were available with lights? I did not know that.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:52 AM

You mean the 900's were available with lights? I did not know that.

Yes, Lights were optional equipment.

From what I remember Bruce telling me a while back, you would take your Bolens back to the dealership and they would drill the holes and install the lights for you
100.jpg
  • redcarkids said thank you

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:44 AM

From what I remember Bruce telling me a while back, you would take your Bolens back to the dealership and they would drill the holes and install the lights for you

The light kits were sold as an accessory, such as wheel weights or tire chains. .....The light kit could be purchased at a later time, or when the tractor was purchased. ......The kit could be dealer-installed, or installed by the owner. .....The decision was up to the customer.

If the customer requested lights while purchasing the tractor, we would install them at our dealership. .....The cost of the light kit was part of the purchase, but we did not charge for labor to install them.
  • Bolens 1000, awol and redcarkids have said thanks

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:27 PM

thanks for the advice. Checked the bulbs today and they worked fine. I have the switch out and will be going to town tomarrow to see if i can find one.

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:34 PM

The headlights were normally mounted on the sides of the hood. By looking at your picture, it appears the headlight you have looks real close to the original that was used.

they looked original, I took them off today to try cleaning them. Took out the light switch. The light switch hole had a square notch in the cut out of the circle. This was not drilled at home so i feel the hole was factory made to accomidate the light switch. Bolens 1000 do you have any documentation proving this. or have you seen them on other models?

#11 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:43 PM

The light kits were sold as an accessory, such as wheel weights or tire chains. .....The light kit could be purchased at a later time, or when the tractor was purchased. ......The kit could be dealer-installed, or installed by the owner. .....The decision was up to the customer.

If the customer requested lights while purchasing the tractor, we would install them at our dealership. .....The cost of the light kit was part of the purchase, but we did not charge for labor to install them.

Thank you Bruce. Did it matter where they were mounted? Was that owner option? I was told this mower came from a manwho sold Bolens mowers for a living. The guy i got it from was the second owner. He told me his dad waited for the Dealer to trade in his mower, then he went in and purchased it because the dealer would have extras added on to his mower when it was purchased. This mower also has hydro lift for the deck and tiller. I also have front hubcaps. Did these get sold in pairs or 4 at a time? The back wheels don't have them but with the differentual adjustment who would want to cover this up?

#12 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:51 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26571[/ATTACH]

Mine look identical except the handle on the back of the lamp. Could the one shown be for the rear, as stated in the add? Maybe the pair set did not have the square handles.

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Mine look identical except the handle on the back of the lamp. Could the one shown be for the rear, as stated in the add? Maybe the pair set did not have the square handles.

I have never seen a rear mounted light on the Early tubeframes so I cannot say for certain if they ever used that style light for the rear. Most likely they used a smaller oval shaped red taillight like on the later year tubeframes, but I could be wrong.

#14 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 03:13 PM

Did it matter where they were mounted? Was that owner option? I also have front hubcaps.

Did these get sold in pairs or 4 at a time? The back wheels don't have them but with the differentual adjustment who would want to cover this up?

If we mounted lights, we mounted them on the sides of the hood at the front (at the end of the red decal). .....If an owner mounted them, they could be installed anywhere. LOL

I don't recall any holes provided by the factory to install a light switch, but that is a small detail I may not remember accurately from 46 years ago. ....I think some lights did have a handle on them. .....I think others had a U-shaped bracket for mounting, and did not have a handle.

Bolens chrome hubcaps for the tube-frames were #16999 ($16 list for a set in 1972), but I don't know if that was for the fronts only, or front & rear wheels.

#15 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Well guess who has lights now? Got a new switch today, instaled it and everything works as it should. I want to thank everyone who provided feedback on this issue. It great to know you can ask questions and get a quick responce. Keep me in mind later I am sure to have more questions as Icontinue the saga of getting my Bolens up and running.