#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 16, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Well I started putting together another tractor. I don't know how modified this is going to get but I'll start it out in this forum. Last fall I got a whole trailer load of Massey/Snapper tractors. In the pile was a 1600 parts tractor. Well I had time this weekend to bring it back to life. I am using a 14 horse Kohler engine out of a Cub Cadet. The biggest problem with doing that is that the Kohler engine for the Cubs mounts by bolts in the bottom of the oil pan and the Massey Kohler engine has 2 mounting flanges on the side of the block near the bottom. I ended up making an adapter plate to mount the Cub engine in and it worked out fine. I had taken the stator and flywheel off of a shot Massey Kohler engine and put on the Cub engine before I installed it. The Cub engine had the starter/generator on it yet and I wanted to update that system to match what is supposed to be stock for the Massey.
After installing the engine and hooking the lines and wires up to it it started and ran pretty well. I had to file the points and will get a new set to install but at least it runs! I took it out for a spin and everything else works, clutch, transmission, brakes. I was looking at it and it just needed some more tire on the back end so I put on the 26x12x12 Titan Tru power tires I had. Now the old girl looks mean!
I put the hood I got from a 1450 Massey parts tractor on it to finish it for now. I am kicking around putting a hydraulic pump on it along with the extra three point hitch I have. It will take some doing as the gear drive tranny/rear end housing dosen't have the mounting ears for the three point hitch arms but I am going to fab them up. I have all the valves, hoses, cylinder and arms for the three point. It might be the first 1600 with a three point on it, or would it be the first 1450 with a gear drive tranny?
Anyway here are some pictures of the project from this weekend. Don't know for sure just what it will end up being yet!
IMG_4887..JPG
IMG_4889..JPG
IMG_4897..JPG
IMG_4896..JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4888..JPG
  • IMG_4894..JPG
  • IMG_4878..JPG
  • IMG_4891..JPG

Edited by tractormike, May 16, 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 04:49 AM

Mike,that does look like a beast with those tires.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well I started putting together another tractor. Don't know for sure just what it will end up being yet!

I know what it'll end up being Mike......a great tractor! :thumbs:

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'm really leaning towards putting a hydraulic pump on it and the three point hitch. Then I would have the 1650 and this one with three points on them. I have one cat 0 plow, 2 rear mount blades and a spring tooth for the tree point now.