• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:54 PM

last march i found a raccoon skull in the woods and ever since then i have been OBSESSED with skull collecting, during the spring i was outside everyday looking for skulls, i now have 9 skulls 4 turtle shells and 2 necklaces i made out of snake vertebrae. about a week before thanksgiving a deer died in my neighbors field so i took its head and im cleaning it, after about another month it will be all clean and white. over tha last month or 2 people have really gotten to know what i do and i have several people who said they will give me heads of stuff they find, hunt or trap. the only person to give me something was my neighbor who had a buck skull in his shed that he gave to me once he found out i was collecting skulls. the one he gave me is on the bottom shelf in the middle, that is the way he gave it to me and i have not cleaned it at all, i normally clean the stuff i get to make it whiter and make it look like its in better condition than it really is.

here is my collection. it includes, 1 raccoon, 2 white tail deer, 3 woodchucks/groundhogs, 2 cats, 1 mink, 2 painted turtle shells, 1 box turtle shell, 1 snapping turtle shell, 2 white tail deer sheds and one of the necklaces i made, the other i wear.
Posted Image

thanks for looking and showing interest, i understand not everybody will agree with this but i love animals and i see it as honoring these animals. i dont want this to turn into an animal rights petition, but i would love honest feedback.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Great hobby, especially since you are collecting the skulls of stuff that isn't being killed for the skulls. The snake vertebrae necklace is interesting, never heard of one until 2 minutes ago haha.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:57 PM

That's an interesting hobby. Many Taxonomists throughout history have studied the construction of the skull to classify animals into the families they are assigned to. Several years ago, I started to make a necklace out of Raccoon teeth, but lost interest before I got very far. Thanks for sharing.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for sharing your other hobby with us. It's obvious that you respect these animals, that's not a trophy case, it's more of a memorial.

I would suggest you take precautions in your handling of any remains. I do not know the lifespan of distemper or rabies in any residual tissues, but lyme's disease is spread by parasites. A neighbor of mine was a Game Commision Officer. He contracted lyme's disease and eventually passed from complications. He believed he picked up the tick while collecting a road killed deer. Just a note of caution.

#5 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:43 AM

I never really considered my skull collection a hobby, I used it more for education when my daughter was going through grade school, I also supplied the local Wildlife conervation officer and school with educational skulls , ( it was hands on education and they get broke every now and then) Here's what i got, mink, weasel, skunk, otter, muskrat, beaver, bobcat, lynx, mountain lion, red and grey fox, coyote, coon, bear, bison.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 05:07 AM

I used to do that too,but haven't for years.I also never thought it as a hobby.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:44 AM

I see it as a hobby, I go out specificly to look for things, and I like the cleaning prosses and how it works, I geuss you could say its a not a hobby but I what I would call it. Do any of you have any pics of past skulls?

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Do any of you have any pics of past skulls?

If you were directing that question at me,no I don't have any photos of past skulls.I'm lucky if I have current photos of my tractors.:D
  • tractorgarden and chris m have said thanks

#9 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:27 AM

Only thing missing,a mother in law skull.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:30 AM

It took us months of begging and pleading with Maynard to get a replacement camera for the one that goes out of focus and that was after months and months of begging and pleading for him to even post pics.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:06 AM

I have a cow's skull! Rather large compared to your skulls Ryan, but no antlers. LOL

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:32 AM

It took us months of begging and pleading with Maynard to get a replacement camera for the one that goes out of focus and that was after months and months of begging and pleading for him to even post pics.

Are you trying to tell me something ,George?:D

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I was asking everybody if they had pics, no specific person. All of my skulls are pretty small considered to all animals, the raccoon and 1 woodchuck is pretty large for their species. I wish I had a cow skull, prefribly a longhorn steer.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 02:11 PM

I was asking everybody if they had pics, no specific person. All of my skulls are pretty small considered to all animals, the raccoon and 1 woodchuck is pretty large for their species. I wish I had a cow skull, prefribly a longhorn steer.

If my skull is still on the shelf in the calf barn, I'll snap a pic later. Those Longhorn skulls bring hefty prices! Used to have a neighbor who raised Longhorns, but he quit raising them.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 03:15 PM

I just finished gluing two squirrels back together the other night. These are the first skulls I have finished from skinning to the final product. I lost two teeth from the one on the right, other then that, I am very happy with them. Just thought i would share.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1329674180687.jpg