74 replies to this topic

#61 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 04:32 PM

That's about what it sounds like. The fluid looked like it was filled with very fine filings, small as dust particles. Same with the gear cases. Just very fine. That's to be expected, isn't it? If it hasn't been changed in a long time?

Looks like I'll have my hands full. Can I get those bearings from an auto parts store or are they a special item?

I'm going to get some pics tonight after work.

#62 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:06 PM

well, i dont know if you can expect it, but its definitely bad. i dont know where the hoses go on the older hydraulic seet up but if you can take off the body tunnel so you can get to the tyranny and see whats inside of it. i believe you can find the bearings from i think Olimpia transmision or something similar to that. if not you could at least get the numbers and i would imagine you could get most, if not all the bearing from an auto parts store.

EDIT: i found a break down of the transmision and all the parts in it. its actully Olympic products. its at the bottem but the link shows some other useful info as well.

http://www.speedextr...x_files/t92.htm
  • fort apache said thank you

#63 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Thanks. I'll get it right. I've done some looking, and I think the bearings will cost about $150. I'll pull the cover off this weekend and double check before I order them and tear it down. I'm tempted just to find a Crosley transmission. Evidently, they are the same, though I've heard (read) that sometimes the shaft lengths are different.

Imagine, buying a 44 year old tractor and having to work on it! If I can get this baby rolling smooth for another five or six hundred bucks worth of parts I'll be happy. I'm in love with it. It's like, we imprinted.

#64 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Cool beans on getting the tractor. They are great little things. From me not hearing the noise, I would recommend you check the bearings for play before taking the tranny out and apart to replace them. They can get quite a bit of shavings and even some small chunks as you describe in the bottom of the tranny from an inexperienced driver grinding the gears, and if the oil hasn't been replaced over many years it could accumulate. I wouldn't completely rule out new bearings but I replaced the bearings in my '53 and they weren't noticeable bad, if at all. Also straight cut gears in a tranny are noisy, just listen to a tubeframe Bolens transmission and you'll think the T-92 trannies are quiet. The very fine metal particles are common in transmissions and gear cases over a period of time with no oil change.

When I replaced my bearings, I just took them into my local bearing place and he looked at the numbers and got new ones for me. I will mention that I am VERY happy with Buffalo Bearing.

Looks like Ryan as got you set up with the tranny breakdown.

They are simple to work on and so heavily built you can't(to a point) hurt them. And most importantly.... have fun.

#65 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:45 PM

yes crosleys are the same, i dont know about the shafts though. you might be able to find something on ebay, maybe a parts tractor you could take one out of. i also strongly suggest welding the shifter button when you take it apart, even if you decide against bearings for right now, do yourself a favor and weld it up. it shows how to in the link and it took me a little less than an hour to take one of my covers apart, weld, grind and reassemble it. note: the first time i did it it took me a good bit longer to figure out.

#66 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks. I'm going to do as you say, and Bmx kidd recommend. I'm going to pop the pan off the tranny and check for play before I take anything apart. I should look for ANY looseness, side to side, up and down in the gears, correct?

Also, I'm going to take the wheels off and check the rear bearings. What should I look for in that? I've replaced front wheel bearings, but never in the rear. I tried finding something online about the final drive bearings on PK but didn't get anything, except they are pretty much bombproof. I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Oh, I took some pics. They're terrible. Its raining here right now.

Cool beans on getting the tractor. They are great little things. From me not hearing the noise, I would recommend you check the bearings for play before taking the tranny out and apart to replace them. They can get quite a bit of shavings and even some small chunks as you describe in the bottom of the tranny from an inexperienced driver grinding the gears, and if the oil hasn't been replaced over many years it could accumulate. I wouldn't completely rule out new bearings but I replaced the bearings in my '53 and they weren't noticeable bad, if at all. Also straight cut gears in a tranny are noisy, just listen to a tubeframe Bolens transmission and you'll think the T-92 trannies are quiet. The very fine metal particles are common in transmissions and gear cases over a period of time with no oil change.

When I replaced my bearings, I just took them into my local bearing place and he looked at the numbers and got new ones for me. I will mention that I am VERY happy with Buffalo Bearing.

Looks like Ryan as got you set up with the tranny breakdown.

They are simple to work on and so heavily built you can't(to a point) hurt them. And most importantly.... have fun.

#67 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:09 PM

PK engine.jpg In all her faded glory. Looks like someone bought a few 98 cent cans of orange spraypaint from wallmart!

Attached Thumbnails

• PK side.jpg
  • PK front.jpg
  • PK rear.jpg

#68 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM

yep, just see if you can move the gears with something, you might even be able to move them with your hand. rear bearings i dont know about, there might be something in the manuals section. i probably have something saved, if not i have a few manuals i can look through to see if i can find something. its actully in pretty good condition, ive seen less go for more. it looks original paint too. from what i can see the 3pt looks homemade.

#69 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nice looking tractor, you will enjoy it for sure.

#70 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:33 PM

[ from what i can see the 3pt looks homemade.[/QUOTE]

I noticed too. And a fine one. A piece of box tubing with two holes crudely drilled in it. The blade is even better. I'll show you the mower deck this weekend. I look at it, all the pulleys and stuff and go...huh? Somehow, it magically combines with the tractor and is able to cut grass. Got a manual on how to hook it up?

#71 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:39 PM

I noticed too. And a fine one. A piece of box tubing with two holes crudely drilled in it. The blade is even better. I'll show you the mower deck this weekend. I look at it, all the pulleys and stuff and go...huh? Somehow, it magically combines with the tractor and is able to cut grass. Got a manual on how to hook it up?

mind taking some pics of the 3pt when you get the chance? the top link was a good idea for whoever built it. i have manuals from the neighbors tractor, same hook up for the deck ill take a pic of that for you.

#72 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:31 PM

Sure thing. Its just a couple of pieces of angle iron, i believe. The box tubing slips between. I'm gonna replace the box tube with an adjustable arm.

mind taking some pics of the 3pt when you get the chance? the top link was a good idea for whoever built it. i have manuals from the neighbors tractor, same hook up for the deck ill take a pic of that for you.

#73 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:37 PM

finally got you those pics, i was able to find some info and diagrams, hopefully it helps.

here's an exploded view of the rear drive train, please dont ask me to tell you what parts are bearings... cause, well, i have no idea.
Posted Image

here is half the parts list.
Posted Image

the other half.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26317033@N07/6541232289/http://www.flickr.com/photos/26317033@N07/6541232289/[IMG]http://gardentractortalk.com/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.flickr.com/photos/26317033@N07/6541232289/%22%20title=%222011-12-19_19-45-22_525%20by%20bmxkid313,%20on%20Flickr%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6541232289_e76f03f7c8.jpg%22%20width=%22282%22%20height=%22500%22%20alt=%222011-12-19_19-45-22_525%22%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6541232289_e76f03f7c8_z.jpg[/IMG]

here is a pic of a deck on a tractor.
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6541233777_d1dd588dd4_z.jpg[/IMG]

and off of the tractor.
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6541235133_06e6c686f5_z.jpg[/IMG]

when i got my 71 it had brackets to mount a deck, but no deck. here is a pic of the brackets and mule drive.
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6541268831_d88fa12634_z.jpg[/IMG]

take some pics of what ever you have for the deck and hopefully we can find out whether or not you have everything.

EDIT: if you want to look at the pics larger go to the link below, click the pic after it comes up right click it and select the size you want.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26317033@N07/sets/72157628491977203/

#74 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Right on. That helps a lot. I'm gonna get that thing going this spring. I'll put my wife on the tractor and let her mow while I weed eat.

finally got you those pics, i was able to find some info and diagrams, hopefully it helps.

Edited by caseguy, December 19, 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#75 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Right on. That helps a lot. I'm gonna get that thing going this spring. I'll put my wife on the tractor and let her mow while I weed eat.

its advertised as a family tractor in flyers and such, i dont see why she couldn't. just be careful on hills, that's a tall tractor. play with the wheel width too, i dont know what its at now but maybe you'll find a better spot, and who knows maybe you'll learn something.

Edited by caseguy, December 19, 2011 - 11:40 PM.