hes right... they multiply...

#47 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:23 PM

I wouldn't go through a lot of trouble for a deisel repower. It'd be neat if one of these little one cylinder deisels could bolt up. I had to bust out wikipedia to find out about the crosley motor.

I like the idea of a little, air cooled deisel. Fuel efficient, powerfull, long life, less maintenance (?). Plus, if you got cute, you could brew up a batch of deisel yourself, or vegetable oil or whatever. In the long run, many years, you'd save money using offroad fuel. I see what you're saying. Those little motors are $1800 cheaper than similar deisel engines i've found. So methinks there may be something lacking...

BTW, I really enjoyed your pictures of your 53. Inspiring, cause I want to turn my little field. I literally dream about plowing and disking my little acres. I want to have a market garden eventually. I like this little tractor, cause it seems robust, no frills, a workhorse. The old time truck farmers used machines like this with sucess until industrial farms and grocery chains wiped them out. I like to day dream about my acres, my little tractor, no payments, and working with the soil.

I'm more of a philospher and a dreamer than a mechanic or scientist. I have a lot to learn. I've learned a lot from you guys. If I get this rig I'm gonna be plucking your minds for awhile. Hope you can tolerate me.

The reason you were restricted with downloads at first was because you were a new member with a low number of posts. As your post count rises so will your download count. I'm not sure of the numbers later on, but at first, you are restricted to two a day.
I read about a guy who re-powered a PK with a 2 or 3 cyclinder kubota diesel which takes allot of modification and fabrication. I want diesels in all my tractors but unfortunatly money doesn't grow on trees. Another option is to drop a Crosely engine into it. They bolt right up to the transmission and would require less fabrication. I know a guy who did that. I have a tractor that needs an engine and have been looking at that engine you posted but don't want to spend the money now. I have heard good and bad about those engines and it sounds like you get what you pay for. It is the only one within my wallet though and hopefully someday I can try one. I would put one on my PK but I want to keep it somewhat original, although the engine on it now, isn't original, but is very close.

The steering is a weak point as others have said but I have tightened mine up by replacing the bushings in it. I got it with a huge amount of slop which was a pain on rough ground.

Good luck with the tractor, and I will warn you, they are addicting. :D

#48 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:28 PM

we'll manage, personally i love to share my knowledge and figure out how to fix things and make them work even better! i would have no problem helping anybody.
  • fort apache said thank you

#49 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:40 PM

I always look forward to seeing your posts. I'm glad i can use your knowledge. Tomorrow.... i may have a powerking 2412, if not, I'll at least have a story to tell you... peace

we'll manage, personally i love to share my knowledge and figure out how to fix things and make them work even better! i would have no problem helping anybody.

#50 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, means a lot. Did you look at the tractor

#51 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Inquiring minds want to know, did you look at the PK today??

#52 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Inquiring minds want to know, did you look at the PK today??

hopefully hes got it and is out working on it now, that's what i would be doing. if thats the case i dont expect an answer until about 1-2 tomorrow morning. lol

#53 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 06:10 PM

I have in my possesion... a Powerking. You hit the nail on the head. I've been degreasing, washing, tightening, draining, filling, greasing every thing I can see on this little thing. It's good little tractor, but its not perfect. I just got inside now. Parked it in my little barn.

I'll get some photos tomorrow, if its not too dark. That kohler is impressive. My battery is crap, so I pull started it this morning. It was below freezing last night, frost over the engine, and it started soundly with one pull. It's got great compression. No smoke.

The clutch is short! The front wheels popped off the ground about 8 inches the first time I let it out in first. I got some questions for you guys later. Tonight, I'm beat.

hopefully hes got it and is out working on it now, that's what i would be doing. if thats the case i dont expect an answer until about 1-2 tomorrow morning. lol

#54 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Great! Fantastic! I was hoping that would be the story. You say it has a Kohler? Good, that means that it's a good chance it is original. I am impatient to see the pictures.

#55 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 06:35 PM

nice! i am also impatient with waiting for pics too. it seems like a lot of people are socked by the clutch, you get the hang of it very fast. eventually you'll be able to be smooth in 3rd at full, or near full rpms. i can usually do it with my 71 but not the 75. it will be harder with your larger tires though. i dont know if im more exited for the pics, or your questions!

:picsoritsnotyours:

#56 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have in my possesion... a Powerking. You hit the nail on the head. I've been degreasing, washing,

Glad you got the tractor but if you got water in the clutch area do you self a favor and run it a little using the clutch to dry it out so it doesn't rust fast to either the flywheel or pressure plate , Al

#57 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:31 AM

Glad to hear that you got it and are working on it!! Keep us posted and share some photos.

#58 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm gonna take a break this morning to give you guys the rundown.

My dad and I drove to the sellers house/business saturday morning. Seller had the tractor in a garage. It was dirty, but looked to be straight. It started cold easily, no smoke, couldn't see any blowby, but the motor had some accumulated oil on it. Oil looked old, but good. Hydrualics worked great, no leaks. Lines looked old. No puddles underneath anything, just a few drips.

After a warm up, I drove it down the street and back a few blocks in third gear, throttled up. It steers excellent. It tracks straight down the road, no wobbles or anything hinky. The drive, train, particularly the transmission, iss noisy though. I thought a little too much. Not shrieking metal on metal, or grinding or crucnching, just... loud.

I asked my dad to drive it. He knows more about tractors than me. He owns a JD 1010 and worked on farms most of his life with his somewhat adopted family. He loves this Powerking. I asked him about the noise, and he said it didn't concern him. He said it sounded like gear on gear noise that a lot of old tractors make. I asked the seller if he had checked the fluids in the tranny, differential, etc. and he said they were good.

After a half hour of poking and prodding on the tractor, I handed him the cash and we loaded it up.

Sunday I went to town and bought 80/90 lube, a quart of Lucas, motor oil, degreaser, and fell to with the wrenches. The differential had good looking oil in it, though low. The gear cases were low. When I drained them a grey, nasty sludge came out. It looked like it hadn't been changed since Jimmy Carter was president. Lots of fine dust, but no chunks or shavings.

Next the tranny, my concern. A cup of cruddy, brown liquid, thick with fine metal dust. A few small pieces of metal the size of a the comma on your keyboard. I filled the tranny and gear cases with 5w-30 and operated the tractor for about three to five minutes to flush them out (seemed appropriate, comments?). I drained, and the oil looked cleaner, but still cruddy. I filled with proper fluids.

I filled half the tranny with Lucas and gear oil. Divided the rest of the Lucas between the differential and gear cases, and filled to the check/fill plugs.

I can't shake the concern I have for the noisy tranny. It quieted down some with the fresh oil and lucas. It shifts fine, very little occasional grind which I attribute to user error, goes into gears easily and stays in them. Should I pull the tranny (cute little booger idn't?) and order some bearings? What kind of job is that? Or are your tractors noisy too?

Look forward to your comments. Thanks.

(apologies for writing War and Peace...)

#59 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 03:52 PM

im 99% sure the noise are your bearings, to replace them you have to take out the tranny, the means taking off the clutch, that means taking off the flywheel and bell housing, that means taking the engine out, that means... a bunch of other stuff. its a process to change the bearings but if you find shaving it probably needs to be done. my neighbors 64 had a similar problem so i posted a video on youtube, ill find it for you. i did not change the bearings because there were no shavings on the inside. i have never tried but have heard of people using kerosene to flush out gears and such, wait for somebody else to chime in on that before you try it. the t92 transmisions do not seal very good, water can run straight down the shifter into the gear case so that most likely made it all nasty. also the t92 should only have 1/2 a pint in it, if you over fill it it runs down the drive tube into the differential or second tranny causing it to be over full, then it runs into the finals and leaks out, not good. if you can take the cover off the the transmission you can put a screwdriver under the gear and push on it a little to see if it moves, that ultimately mans you need bearings.

#60 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 03:57 PM

heres the video, you can hear the grinding, some different gears make more noise than others.

i almost forgot...
:wewantpics: