74 replies to this topic

#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 11:42 AM

Good morning. I don't have a powerking economy, yet... I'm posting here because I've been in the market for a small tractor for a long time. I've waited years to purchase a little rig to garden with, haul wood, mow, grade the driveway, etc. Something I can use all over my little mini farm. I currently do all these things with a wheelbarrow and hand tools.

I've found an economy powerking tractor. I just got off the phone with the owner. He says he doesn't know the year or model, just that its old. He said it has ag tires, has three point lift with hydraulics, a 12 hp tecumseh with electric start, a belly mower and rear blade. He says it runs beautifully and looks good. He wants $1,000.

He's a self described "old fart" who doesn't know how to use computers. His daughter is texting me pictures of the tractor this evening when she gets off work.

Could a tractor like this work a large garden with ease? Haul wood with a trailer? Grade a driveway, blade snow? Are implements hard to find?

What category hitch do these have?

Does anyone know any websites that describe these tractors in detail, how they are used. Maybe videos of them in use...

Any responses are appreciated. I just want to get some info from actual owners. I don't want to waist this guy's time or mine if its not something I can use for what I described.

Thanks.

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 12:43 PM

you can look at some videos on you tube

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Welcome to GTtalk fort apache . There are some brochures to down load if they are the correct ones for the year your looking at it might help you decide . I don't know much of the newer PKs with the fiberglass hoods but the older ones seem like they would work for you. They where only Cat "O" hitches
Power King / Economy - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 02:22 PM

If its a tecumseh its not origanal, they had briggs or kohlers in them. You could use this on your farm for everything you wanted to, if you have a blade you can grade with that. You could use it to haul wood no problem at all. I use mine too move the 3000 lbs car trailer I have, I even moved it with a small car on it, there was no problems of powr from the 14hp but I did nave problems with the front coming off the ground... I had my brother sit on the hood to keep it down. It has a cat 0 3pt but it can use cat 1 if you flip the pins inward or weld tabs onto it for the arms, I have seen it done many times. Get the serial number andwe can find the year in less than 1 minute. Parts are readily avalible on ebay and from websites and people that part them out. You could easly maintain a well sized garden with this tractor. The price on the machine is all about condition and what attachments and options it has, im going to wait for pics before I say if a grand is fair.

Edited by bmxkid313, December 15, 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#5 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 02:29 PM

If they text me the photos (i'm sure they will, sounds like a nice guy and eager for sale - property taxes!) I'm going to post them. I'll ask for the serial number too.

#6 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Thank you for the welcome, and the link to downloads. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to download anything. It failed, and then it said I had my two shots for the day. Are they Adobe PDFs, or do I need a different reader?

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 03:36 PM

If they text me the photos (i'm sure they will, sounds like a nice guy and eager for sale - property taxes!) I'm going to post them. I'll ask for the serial number too.

Ok, if they don't know were the serial number is it should be on the grill, dash or a metal tag on the clutch housing

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 04:49 PM

fort apache,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#9 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thank you. I appreciate the welcome.

fort apache,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:14 PM

oh my... i think i forgot to welcome you, sorry. welcome to the forums!

:welcometogttalk:

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:30 PM

:wave: fort apache Welcome to GTTalk! We're glad to have you with us! In my opinion, the PK's are great machines. It's more like a small farm tractor . With the hydraulics and the 3 point hitch, it should serve you well. If you pick up a moldboard plow and a set of discs, you could do just about anything with it. As for the value of it, It's hard to judge that without pics and a good looking over. Thanks for signing up and keep us posted on what you find!

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to download anything. It failed, and then it said I had my two shots for the day. Are they Adobe PDFs, or do I need a different reader?

I'm not sure what happened , maybe someone with more computer skills will know , Al

#13 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:07 PM

I just got the text with the picture (I forgot to ask for the serial number). Unfortunately, I cannot convert the **** slide on the phone into a jpg to post it on here.

However, based on my limited research, I feel 100% sure this is not an Economy Powerking, but a Jim Dandy. It looks smaller, and more importantly the front tires look to be 8" instead of 12"

I'll post the photo later if I can get it to convert. I'm going to call him later and ask for the serial number.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like a jim dandy if it has 8 inch tires. People try to sell jim dandys as power kings all the time, either they don't know or they want it to sound better and get more $$ for it. If you send the pics to my email I can try to put them up for you. You can send them from your phone to my email like you would anything else. Just put my email into the recipiants box, or what ever its called. Bmxkid313 [at] yahoo.com

Edited by powerking56, December 16, 2011 - 11:52 AM.
taking out direct e-mail link

#15 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:56 PM

The gentleman called and assured me it is a powerking, not a jim dandy. He said he'd be asking more for it if that were the case. He gave me this serial number.

X13870E

I found a chart that says thats a 1967. Anyone have any info?