#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Does anyone know anything of these tractors.? I'll share what very little I know. I believe they were built only 2 years in the '50s. A small, 4-wheeled, gas powered tractor, with a conventional steering wheel. Martin Mayrath manufactured tube-type grain augers in plants in Dodge City, KS and Minot, North Dakota. Supposedly these where built in Dodge. As a high school kid, I worked at the Dodge factory. When the tubes where finished, they were stacked on 4-wheel wagons and pulled around the storage yard with the remains of some of these. My memory is fading, but I do remember a small shed in which stacks of Crosley differentials or transmissions were kept as spares.

I never saw a commercial version, these we "played with" had no tin-work and were pretty fast with no wagon connected. We'd race them when Martin was out. I doubt they made a very efficient garden tracker.

I know nothing other than that. I noticed a listing somewhere on the net, listing these along with all those we're familiar with. I know of no other mention of these. Perhaps they are the "lost bigfoot of the plains". I'm curious to know if any exist.:smile1:
  • sacsr said thank you

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:30 PM

I have never heard of them...but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see who has some information about them! Thanks for asking the question!

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:35 PM

There are definately Mayraths in existance. I've seen them but haven't ever been able to snag one. I even know collectors that have them. They made 2 different versions. One was basically just a frame and a seat. That was probably what you remember. The deluxe version had a body like a car. I never thought they looked like much of a tractor either but they would make a good tug. If you do a search in the garden tractor section at smokstak.com you should bring up some pictures.
  • mjodrey, caseguy, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Thank you DougT for the fantastic help. I'll entire this pics site in hopes that I can do it
correctly. http://jacques_lacas...ath/Mayrath.htm . :worshippy1: It brings back more fond memories. The standard was as I remember. Also the yellow and red Mayrath colors. Cannot remember whether those had the "engine-tilt" style clutch, but they ran and shifted much like a car. They were indeed fast.
Martin was a colorful character-some might say a quack. He would show up at the Dodge plant and put on very dirty overalls and walk through as though he was spying on the workers. I worked there summers in '59-'60 in the welding shop and some in paint.

If the link doesn't work, I hope someone smarter than I can fix it because they were pretty neat tractors and likely few found out of the midwest. Thank you again

Edited by caseguy, December 15, 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:11 AM

I have never heard of they,but now I'd like to see one.

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:29 AM

I have never heard of they,but now I'd like to see one.

I followed the link above and finally found pics, then Googled : Mayrath Tractors and found more but being so computer illiterate, I have no clue how to post a link here and hope somebody will.
They are really neat tractors, all 4 wheels the same size and apparently <500 made. Ads boasted 30 MPH groundspeed and PTO option (std?) So they likely could to some earthwork.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:36 AM

I guess somehow,I didn't see the link.Thanks,I'll now have a look.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:40 AM

That link didn't work.Is this the one you were going for?
Lawn & Garden Tractors Photo  Mayrath

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,660 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Googling it brings up quite a few links. Cool tractors. Thanks, Lee. I've been in Dodge City several times.

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Googling it brings up quite a few links. Cool tractors. Thanks, Lee. I've been in Dodge City several times.

Maynards link shows a Mayrath owned by Larry Morrison---He's your neighbor in Siloam Springs AR. Can you imagine 30mph on one of these?

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:35 PM

If the link doesn't work, I hope someone can fix it...

The link is fixed in the original post.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#12 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:11 AM

A friend of mine near Ottawa, ON. has a Mayrath deluxe in excellent condition with a number of attachments, he says they will indeed do 30 mph. Haven't seen it in person yet but saw some old pics very cool looking GT.

#13 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have some garden tractor books with ads in them going back to 1900 and in those books there is some ads for Myrath tractors.Someone here or at MTF in one of the sub forums was posting pictures of one of his other brands just recently i believe and a Mayrath was in the background.He was asked about it and posted a pic of it.It is a model with no body.I just cant remember where i saw it...

#14 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have a picture of Larry Morrisons Mayrath that I will try to post. I don't know which computer I may have the digital image on.

#15 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 02:49 PM

This pic isn't of Larry Morrison's tractor but of one I saw at a show a while back.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Mayrath.GIF

• sacsr said thank you