17 replies to this topic

#16 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:30 AM

As a collector of George products, the cultivator was not manufactured by the company. Another member said it looked like JD and I would agree on this and it was most likely a scrap piece of metal lying around the fellows shop that made the cultivator. The original was a small cultivator with small planet jr. cultivator shanks. They were not by any means a power house and were made to replace a human powered push plow. The sickle bar mower on the other hand is a George product and does belong on your George LG. You have one of the rarer units as most of the LG's have a cast iron drive wheel. The aluminum wheel was discontinued in the very early years with the cast iron one because of aluminum spoke breakage. Whenever this occured a cast iron wheel was sent to the owner as a replacement. The other item I noticed was the drive engagement. Originally there was not a pulley chain combination to pull the idler up. It was a solid rod that ran from the top of the left handlebar down to an engagement bracket down and behind the left drive pulley. The fuel tank has been replaced at some time as the original tank was about half the size that is on yours and it should fit in a saddle bracket between the 2 suppport rails( same location as yours only lower). I don't know if it has the original engine but I would say yes. It was made before 1951 because of the aluminum wheel and the location of the fuel tank. Hope this has answered some of your questions about your George.
  • DougT said thank you

#17 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks traktrjorj!
It does answer a lot of our questions. We believe the engine is an original to the piece. We have seen another George and it had the same kind of engine. We will have to rig the rod up to make it work.

#18 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:18 PM

If you need any help with the rod, I think I have some previous photos with specs I can send you. I know in the past I have sent them to 2 other collectors.
  • DB1 said thank you