21 replies to this topic

#16 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:31 AM

Also, I dont know how you are shutting it off but most of the time there will be a diode inline of the ignition switch. That is there to protect the ignition coil from people who put battery power to it, possibly ruining it. If the diode is bad, the ground circuit to shut it off will not work
  • JDBrian said thank you

#17 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• Member No: 6990
  • 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hey all, thanks for all the help!! Fought this problem again yesterday with no luck, probably gonna try a replacement original ignition switch and add a relay to ground to kill the engine. Will be end of the week before I can get to it again so i will update progress or the lack thereof then.

thanks again!!

JD214

#18 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 02:27 PM

OK, the relay solved the problem!! Tractor is now starting, PTO works, and all safety switches work(or will when i get the seat safety switch!! LOL). Gotta get a seat, seat switch, and the guard for the PTO and start putting the body work on.......

Thanks again for all the help and support!!!!!!!!!

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:14 PM

You are welcome. Great to hear you got it sorted out and working again. Send us some pics when you get it finished.
  • JohnDeere214 said thank you

#20 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:32 PM

OK got her all put back together and was able to mow the lawn this afternoon. Had to buy a seat from Northern Tool and when I first installed it, it was WAY too close to the controls. Ended up modifying the seat brackets to move seat back several inches and then got fender pan on. Anyway heres pics after mowing the yard............

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again thanks for the help and advice!!!!

JD214

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:51 PM

It's great to see another old warrior back to work. Those taillights can be easily and cheaply replaced with LED versions that are meant for utility trailers. I put a couple of them on my 314 and they fit perfectly and use the same mounting holes. You can't do that on a 318. The tail lights are often broken on 318's and are very expensive to replace.

#22 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I picked up some of the LED lights that Brian mentioned from my local Napa for my 120. IIRC they were about $12 a piece. Definitely cheaper than the Deere replacement. Tractor is looking good!!