#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:52 AM

I may be over-thinking this issue but my intent was to pressure-test the Sundstrand/Hydrogear on my MF12 before removing it from the frame. The service manual shows a low pressure, charge pump test --pg 26- and the photo isn't clear, but I finally found this 8mm allen plug at the left (tractor front) side of the charge pump in the approximate location.

My question is, not having a special MF tool to access the port and rigging up something to tap into an 8mm port will be challenging, is there an alternative port elsewhere?

The high pressure test is pretty straightforward, but I'd prefer to do it by the book.
OR, should I be concerned about it at all? This tractor is beat, butchered, rusted in everyway, but the oil appears perfectly clean. Should I just forge ahead "assuming"
it will be OK.? What would you do.?
:confuse::confuse:----LeeB

#2 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:32 AM

The ID plate data reads: Sundstrand Hyrogear, Hydro-transmission
Model No. 90-2068, S# 01-KA 19930.

The Pic below shows tractor front to the left, with a 5/32 allen protruding from the plug.
The two bolt heads visable on the valve body to the upper left of the charge pump are accel. relief access ports, I believe.-----Thankx

[ATTACH]26506[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• PC130065.jpg

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,497 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Lee, I've seem some threads explaining doing this, but there usually are no pics of what they have done. Hope we get to see this time. Would that be a 1/4" NPT where the allen wrench is, or 3/8" NPT?

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:27 AM

Lee, I've seem some threads explaining doing this, but there usually are no pics of what they have done. Hope we get to see this time. Would that be a 1/4" NPT where the allen wrench is, or 3/8" NPT?

I originally thought 1/8 straight thread. When I backed it out, calipers says .305--8mm. Fine thread. That where my problem comes in. I've got all kinds of hyd. hose,
fittings and misc. but getting a test line down that small is tough.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure that's 1/8" NPT.

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that's 1/8" NPT.

Ditto- And being US made, metric seems odd to me, but OD on the threads measure .305 and I think 1/8 NPTM is over .4. Don't have one handy though. The MF10/MF12 service manual shows the test--PG 25, figure 68, and a better view pg 17, fig 31. It just seems too ##$@ small to be a logical test point.

#7 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Well, I've checked and rechecked the measurements: Plug does measure .305 inches (major dia.). In my boxes of "stuff", I found an unopened Hex bolt labeled:
8mm-1 0 x20mm. The major dia also measures .305 inches and by switching my calipers to metric reads 7.75 mm. My eyes are fading with the rest of me and the best I can tell without a large magnifying desk lamp is that the threads are the smallest available on my metric thread gauge.

I checked a couple sources of bolt sizes for ANSI standards and it could also be a poorly made 5/16*-18 or- 24 bolt size, because minimums for each is .315, not .305.

Whatever the case, the likelihood of finding either to fit a hose to the cavity is remote. Therefore, if no one knows of a secondary location, I'll either have to scrap the test or consider clamping a piece of Parker Par Flex to the outside of the casting with a remote gauge. That may work if it would seal well enough for 150 PSI, which is possible. I would prefer to avoid all the jerry-rigging. :wallbanging:

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:53 PM

I can't be of much help at all really, as my MF12 hydro has performed flawlessly over the years, so never had to so much as touch it. Hope you come up with something.

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Highly unlikely to have a problem with any hydro trans if it has been even remotely maintained

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Highly unlikely to have a problem with any hydro trans if it has been even remotely maintained

Well, I'm happy to hear that and some of the guys has agreed. I'm probably too goosey about it. Just seemed to be a simple check-out at first. After sitting in the weeds several years, its still full of very clean fluid, so that's something.

#11 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:11 PM

I can't be of much help at all really, as my MF12 hydro has performed flawlessly over the years, so never had to so much as touch it. Hope you come up with something.

You mentioned that to me before but I guess I'm still nervous about it. I need to get a grip and forge ahead.:D

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:36 PM

You asked me how I did mine on my thread. I did it so as to see if it worked at all or not. I didn't do any pressure checks or other test on it when I did it. I simply put a belt right to the hydro where it drives and spun it over with another engine. While it was turning over I moved the hydro control handle along the hood and the wheels went forward and backward accordingly. For me having faith in these older hydro systems and thinking if their built even close to what I'm used to on my Cub Cadets seeing it turn the wheels was good enough for me. We shall see if it pays off for me or not when I start using it and climb hills and pull stuff with it whether or not it pulls well under a load. My check was more of a functionality test than a check to see how well it actually works. Good luck with yours and hopefully all turns out ok for ya.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you