5 replies to this topic

#1 geo OFFLINE  

geo

• Member No: 1800
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:25 PM

100_0704.jpg
Hi all, I bought this tractor about 4 years ago hoping to make a puller. Seems to be all there and pretty good condition. Does anyone know what model of horse this is:confuse: I'm not up on Wheel Horse GTs, but I've never seen a vertical shaft motor in one. Thanks for looking .. Geo

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0703.jpg
  • 100_0702.jpg

#2 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Wheel Horse did make a few vertical shaft garden tractors, mainly in the early 70s. Most of them probably had Tecumseh engines on them. Go to Red Square and check their picture gallery and you will see a few vertical engined Wheel Horses. Most of them had "V" in the model name, i.e. Charger V8.
  • geo said thank you

#3 546cowboy OFFLINE  

546cowboy

• Member No: 5766
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:42 PM

I believe most of the verticles in the older models were "B" series. I had a 1981 B-82 that had an 8 hp. Briggs in it that I sold this year. Since Toro bought them I have seen many with verticle Briggs engines. I had if I remember right a Toro/Wheel Horse 211 that had an 11 hp. Briggs a couple years ago too.
  • geo said thank you

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Well there's your problem right there -> that little dooflicker on the end of the wire goes in that empty hole.

Just kidding. Good looking tractor. And good luck pulling.
  • geo said thank you

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hey Geo! Is there a serial No. plate located under the bottom edge of the dash? It would be tucked way back in where you cannot see it from the operator platform. That will provide a lot of information.
  • geo said thank you

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:55 PM

I believe most of the verticles in the older models were "B" series. I had a 1981 B-82 that had an 8 hp. Briggs in it that I sold this year. Since Toro bought them I have seen many with verticle Briggs engines. I had if I remember right a Toro/Wheel Horse 211 that had an 11 hp. Briggs a couple years ago too.

That is not entirely correct. Wheel Horse made several vertical shaft models in the late 60s and early 70s that used a similar frame to the horizontal shaft tractors. There were Charger V8s, Commando V7s, etc. Also the late 60s Lawn Rangers were vertical shaft tractors. The B-series came out in 1974 as horizontal shaft yard tractors, then in 1978 the B-series were vertical shaft lawn tractors. The 200 series came out in the mid-80s and were lawn tractors and some were lawn and garden tractors.