• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 04:44 PM

i have a 75 power king with a 3pt and a 71 with a drawbar. being that i have no attachments for the 71 i wanted to make an adapter to use the 3pt attachments i have.

first i made the pieces for the bottom, this serves as the bottom 2 arms, it bolts to the drawbar. the left piece of flat stock will be welded in place and stay their. the bent piece on the right will be held to the angle iron with 2 bolts and butterfly nuts, take of the butterfly nuts and the flat stock will come off to put on the attachment.
Posted Image

next i made the bracket that will holds the top arm. it bolts to the frame were the 2 pieces slide into the frame. this how it will be welded together. (nothing was centered at this time)
Posted Image

next, i drilled all the holes i needed. i put the bottom piece on to see if it would clear the lift arms and i didnt so i had to notch it out.
Posted Image

then, i grinded down all the pieces for welding. this is all the material i used, minus the bolts.
Posted Image

i got everything welded and bolted on. here is the finished product with an attachment on. sorry for the bad pics but it was dark when i finished and they didn't come out very good.
Posted Image
Posted Image
the only negatives i have come across are, the 2 tabs on the bottem peice are too short and even with the top piece al the way in it puts the attachment at a weird angle. also the angle iron i used to make te top piece is flimsy and with the attachment in the pics on it i could watch it flex when i pushed on it, the tabs on the bottem peice are a little small (strength wise) too. i can proudly say that it has not bent yet... but i havent used it either. i dont think i would ever use this on a regular basis, its way too weak and thats when i was just learning how to weld so those arent very strong either.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 05:55 PM

"I can proudly say that it has not bent yet... but I haven't used it either."
I like how you said that.:D

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Way to go! At least you have found it's faults and can correct from there. Are you by chance using the body hammer for cleaning slag from the welds? How much weight are you planning to lift with it?

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:29 PM

I like your thinking kid (it feels odd to call you that, but I don't know your name LOL)! It's good that you made the attempt. The best way to learn is to do! It's also good to hear that you analyzed the situation and came up with what you'd define as it's shortcomings. That shows that you're learning and the next time, it (and you) will be better and stronger for the experience that you've gained! Keep up the good work!

#5 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing and got as far as cutting out the parts but decided it was worth it to get a real three point and went that route. You may have seen it but there was an attachment for the power kings that was basically what you are building. Here is what I am talking about.
Attached File  3 point hitch by Ralph Holt. A.pdf   2.74MB   83 downloads
  • Gtractor, caseguy and Alc have said thanks

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:49 PM

haha i knew i would get at least one laugh out of that.

kenny, i dont plan on using it for heavy stuff, if anything. in the pic thats a handtruck but it has forks on it and me and my dad made it usable on a 3pt for a carry all. i could lift my brother whos 200# with two hands, unfortunately i dont have hydraulics on the 71 so i dont plan on using it much, the heaviest thing i have (items on carry all not counted) is a york rake and i dont plan on using that on this tractor unless im in a bind. before this i had never build anything that i had to weld and i just wanted to build something, i actually i knew i wouldn't use it much. maybe if i built a better stronger one and got a helper spring to take some of the strain off lifting i would use it. i try to get as much of the slag off as i can, now, with that project it was just there to hold the side up. after i welded a few things i learned to keep it close whenever i weld anything.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:00 PM

You are on the right track. You know you can make something from scratch now. Find some heavier material to make it from and maybe one of these PK gurus can help you with a helper spring solution. I don't know anything about them, so I won't be of much help. Fact is, I've never seen one in real life. Keep on keepin' on. What's your first name so we don't have to call you 'kid'?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:03 PM

What's your first name so we don't have to call you 'kid'?

You could add your first name to your sig line. Really, I wish everyone would do that, as I have trouble remembering names. Seeing them in sig lines helps me a lot with that!

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:15 PM

sorry i should have introduced myself instead of just coming to the site and posting, my name is ryan, ill add it to my signature like you suggested. i have made a few things from "scratch" now and i love doing it, once my brother gets his pool table out of the garage im going to make a 3pt weight rack for plowing with my 75. i told my brother yesterday that if its not gone by thursday after i get home from school im burning it in the driveway... thanks for the diagram of the adapter, i had a lot of people tell me about them and show me pics but i never knew how it went on or worked, thanks for the file.
  • mikebramel said thank you

#10 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:37 PM

thanks for the diagram of the adapter, i had a lot of people tell me about them and show me pics but i never knew how it went on or worked, thanks for the file.

You are welcome. You can also get an idea of the steel thickness by looking at the drawing. I tend to way over build things, if I can, so it will never break, but it is hard without buying steel so if I don't have the heavy steel just laying around I just use what I have or double it up a few times. Looks good.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the build thread, if nothing else, you have a great mock up to make changes to and take measurements from.

Great job.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:30 PM

...so it will never break...

never you say huh? you do use it right? only joking, i know whatcha mean.

MH81, thats probably all it will ever be used for if anything. suddenly i feel compelled to build a better one.

#13 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 10:05 PM

never you say huh? you do use it right? only joking, i know whatcha mean.

You are right, never say never. As I have proved before.:bigrofl:

#14 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 02:42 PM

I'd use it with pride Ryan. You have an eye for fabricating.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'd use it with pride Ryan. You have an eye for fabricating.

why thank you. next spring i plan to make a better stronger one that i will actually use.