• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#46 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• Member No: 7790
  • 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Yes, but you have it kept in 55d garage so below 30d doesnt really apply.

It didn't make any difference with cold oil. While I had the gauge hooked up did a retard test adjustment as in the hydraulic test procedure manual. It says should read 300 psi in retard position. My gauge never moved no matter where the travel lever was. The manual says if you don't get a reading you may have a defective control valve. Maybe I will have to look around for one to try. I know you and a few other people think it is a linkage problem but there is very little play in the linkage. Also when raised of the ground it works perfect.

#47 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm not the hydraulic guy but from what I've read those motors are about bullet proof and from what you say about your pressure readings and being able to dig a hole while chained down your pump sounds like it's doing what it should. If it's not your linkage then I'd guess something in the valve spool. Also the oil your using is thin for 55 degrees but I don't think that's going to give you as big an issue as your saying.
Adjust the linkage again and see what you get. Look closely for play at the ball and socket.

I don't get the raised off the ground it works perfect. Something is flexing somewhere?

With the tractor on the ground and not running and someone else moving the travel lever slowly does the valve move as it should?
It sounds like it doesn't move until all at once it jumps.

#48 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Noticed you said in a post "there was very little play in the linkage". "Very little" is a relative term. A 1/16th of an inch can make a world of difference on these tractors. I'm like CP7, how are you checking it? What pressure did you adjust the relief to? Not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just getting confused and a little perplexed by what's happening.

#49 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just getting confused and a little perplexed by what's happening.

Same here T.
Trying to help you figure yours out might help us when we run into the same or similar thing.

#50 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hey Twood, have you gone any farther with this yet? How ya' makin' out? Please keep us posted on what you find as it can be a learning experience for all of us. Been scratching my head to think of something else that may cause your problem, but haven't figured out anything yet. I'm hoping you get it straightened out soon, these are great tractors.

#51 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Now is a fine time to ask, but does it act the same way in high and low range?

#52 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I don't get the raised off the ground it works perfect. Something is flexing somewhere?

With the tractor on the ground and not running and someone else moving the travel lever slowly does the valve move as it should?
It sounds like it doesn't move until all at once it jumps.

Raised off the ground is with the rear of the tractor lifted up with a floor jack. The wheel turn when they should until I let down the jack. No it does not just all of a sudden jump ahead.

#53 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Noticed you said in a post "there was very little play in the linkage". "Very little" is a relative term. A 1/16th of an inch can make a world of difference on these tractors. I'm like CP7, how are you checking it? What pressure did you adjust the relief to? Not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just getting confused and a little perplexed by what's happening.

That makes two of us. I adjusted the pressure to about 2000 psi.

#54 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hey Twood, have you gone any farther with this yet? How ya' makin' out? Please keep us posted on what you find as it can be a learning experience for all of us. Been scratching my head to think of something else that may cause your problem, but haven't figured out anything yet. I'm hoping you get it straightened out soon, these are great tractors.

Been busy haven't messed with it for a while. I am going to get another parts tractor this week and do some trial and error again. After doing the retard test I think it could be the travel control valve. I will let you know what it takes to get it working. It isn't going to happen for a couple of weeks maybe.

#55 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Now is a fine time to ask, but does it act the same way in high and low range?

It doesn't seem to make much difference maybe a little better in low range which makes sense.

#56 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:47 PM

I'm kind of at a loss here. You originally said it wouldn't move until the end of the lever travel and it would dig a hole while at that lever setting. I got out of that that there wasn't any low speed travel.

It doesn't move until I move the travel lever to the 4th spot and last spot. It works about the same in reverse except it will move a little in the lower spots with no resistance. Tied it to a tree and in the 4th and last spot it dug a hole in my yard with chains on.

You've cleaned up the slop in the linkage and readjusted it and it didn't help. Swapped parts, still broke
It works right with no load on the wheels but set her down with weight on it and it's broke.

Somewhere we're missing something and maybe some video would help.

#57 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm certainly no expert on these things, but seems to work ok with wheels up in the air, and seems better in low range than high range, I'm starting to think the motor is worn/weak. From my understanding, those don't go bad too often.

#58 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'm certainly no expert on these things, but seems to work ok with wheels up in the air, and seems better in low range than high range, I'm starting to think the motor is worn/weak. From my understanding, those don't go bad too often.

That is going to be the first to change when I get my parts tractor. If that doesn't fix the problem it is a good bet that isn't the problem.

#59 jbadman OFFLINE  

jbadman

• Member No: 8083
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:09 PM

When the travel lever is actuated in either direction, does the drive seem spongey or noisy? Possibly there is air in the system not purging. The pump would be noisy and sound like a wad of marbles going through it. Look down in the reservoir with the cap off after operation. See if the oil appears to be aereated (air bubbles). You may have a suction leak causing this or restriction in the supply side of the pump. Have you tried the hyd. lift? Actuate it a few times and blow the relief valve. In any event, rule out air by these tests. No matter how tight or sound the linkage is, if air is in the system, it will not act as a hydraulic system should with solid columns of oil passing through the tubing conduits.
  • Twood said thank you

#60 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 09:24 PM

When the travel lever is actuated in either direction, does the drive seem spongey or noisy? Possibly there is air in the system not purging. The pump would be noisy and sound like a wad of marbles going through it. Look down in the reservoir with the cap off after operation. See if the oil appears to be aereated (air bubbles). You may have a suction leak causing this or restriction in the supply side of the pump. Have you tried the hyd. lift? Actuate it a few times and blow the relief valve. In any event, rule out air by these tests. No matter how tight or sound the linkage is, if air is in the system, it will not act as a hydraulic system should with solid columns of oil passing through the tubing conduits.

It is not noisy and haven't seen any are bubbles in the tank.