72 replies to this topic

#31 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Not really, if the pump is worn enough that it wont produce enough flow it also wont produce enough pressure
  • Twood said thank you

#32 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:20 PM

I dont really know what to tell you other than check that linkage out again
  • Twood said thank you

#33 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:40 PM

:ditto:

#34 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• Member No: 7790
  • 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 10:00 PM

Not really, if the pump is worn enough that it wont produce enough flow it also wont produce enough pressure

Doesn't make sense to me that it works fine in higher speeds and not low speeds. You would think it would be the opposite.Do you know what is usually the first thing to fail on the hydraulic system? I could jack it up again and look at the linkage but it sure looked good the last time I looked at it. Do you know what the symptoms are if the hydraulic control valve is bad other than the relief valve? Do you what the symptoms are when the hydraulic motor is worn out? Maybe the hydraulic motor I got off Craigslist wasn't up to snuff either.

#35 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:00 PM

You can try a different motor. I would try thicker oil first
  • Twood said thank you

#36 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:10 PM

First, I would leave it outside overnight. Dont let it warm up. If it responds like you want it to then go with a thicker oil.
  • Twood said thank you

#37 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:00 AM

I'm not the hydraulic guy but from what I've read those motors are about bullet proof and from what you say about your pressure readings and being able to dig a hole while chained down your pump sounds like it's doing what it should. If it's not your linkage then I'd guess something in the valve spool. Also the oil your using is thin for 55 degrees but I don't think that's going to give you as big an issue as you saying.
Adjust the linkage again and see what you get. Look closely for play at the ball and socket.

#38 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 07:01 AM

The linkage is what my mind keeps going back to also. There must be no slop at all to work correctly. Don't think the pump is the problem. Laying on your back looking at the linkage while someone else slowly moves the handle back and forth may not show the wear. Take the linkage off the travel lever and give it a good look and push it back and forth by hand to see if you feel any looseness in the ball joint.
  • Twood said thank you

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 08:19 AM

I've been reading this thread , always trying to learn something new , anyway I was just wondering when you had the gauge hooked up and the tractor parking brake on , did the pressure start to come up as soon as you moved the handle ? Al

#40 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 10:39 AM

First, I would leave it outside overnight. Dont let it warm up. If it responds like you want it to then go with a thicker oil.

Sounds like worth a try.

#41 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 10:43 AM

The linkage is what my mind keeps going back to also. There must be no slop at all to work correctly. Don't think the pump is the problem. Laying on your back looking at the linkage while someone else slowly moves the handle back and forth may not show the wear. Take the linkage off the travel lever and give it a good look and push it back and forth by hand to see if you feel any looseness in the ball joint.

I will have to dig into this a little more after Christmas.

#42 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 10:59 AM

You can try a different motor. I would try thicker oil first

I could try a different motor but buying another used one you don't know if is good. You're thinking thicker oil because everything is a little wore out. That kind of makes sense. See where Rotella 15W 40 is recommended. Seems a lot heavier than what my manual says especially in Minnesota winter.

#43 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yes, but you have it kept in 55d garage so below 30d doesnt really apply.

#44 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 01:17 PM

The linkage is bigger suspect though

#45 Twood OFFLINE  

Twood

• 4 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:05 PM

I've been reading this thread , always trying to learn something new , anyway I was just wondering when you had the gauge hooked up and the tractor parking brake on , did the pressure start to come up as soon as you moved the handle ? Al

No it did not move until the low to middle end of stroke. To reach full pressure had to have it at end of stroke. Pressure was a little low so I adjusted it up a little but didn't help.