jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:31 AM

One last item to put on the tractor before it can be painted is the parking brake.
I almost forgot to do this and I wouldn't have been able to use the flat belt pulley on the engine if I couldn't lock the brakes to keep the tractor from moving.

In keeping with the old parts that were originally used to build this tractor, I'm going to use a parking brake lever from a Ford model-T.
Here is the brake handle and ratchet gear.
I took a piece of steel tube and put two bearings in it for the pivot mount for the brake handle.

Posted Image

The mounting bracket is bent out of 3/16 inch thick steel plate and bolts to the frame with four bolts.
I forms up around the belt guard so the brake handle will be in between the belt guard and the rear wheel.

Posted Image

The pivot mount is welded to the underside of the mounting bracket and the ratchet gear is welded in place.
Two pieces of steel strap are welded on the sides for extra bracing.

Posted Image

Here's how the parking brake lever looks mounted on the tractor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A control rod is attached to the lower arm on the brake pedal.
This end is threaded so the rod can be adjusted in or out.

Posted Image

The other end of this control rod has a slot in it and is attached to the lower arm of the parking brake lever with a shoulder bolt.

Posted Image

Pushing down on the brake pedal moves the this control rod and the slot allows it to slide on the shoulder bolt.

Posted Image

When the parking brake lever is moved forward, it pulls the control rod back to activate both rear brakes.

Posted Image

....... Now I can take the tractor apart and paint it ! .......

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:51 AM

WOW, great job, a real class act all the way along. This thing is going to look awesome in paint!! Thanks for taking us along for the build.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 12:01 PM

Man I miss so much of these kinds of posts because of Pictures not showing when I'm at work. It works for some people and not for others - don't know why. It's a problem with how we're set up at work - not with the site. I will try to remember to check this from home. Love the monster garage stuff.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 12:11 PM

Nice parking brake set up.
I thought your "R/T" build great,and it is,don't get me wrong. But I believe I like this one even better.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 01:09 PM

Cool parking brake, Ray. What color is she going to be?

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Ray. What color is she going to be?

It isn't going to be the red and yellow that the original builder painted it.
It will be a color combination that fits with the year of the tractor.
As for the actual color, well I decided to keep that a secret this time until it is finished.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 02:48 PM

First class build thread Ray! Another awesome project! Words cannot express how much we appreciate the ride along with pics and commentary! You Rock!

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 04:02 PM

HI Ray, me again. That looks like it should fit the bill and work well!!
I am in the process of looking back through all of your build threads on this site and another that you have posted on. Your step by step info is great, your problem solving ability is excellent. I like the way you put the time and effort in to post and explain the many steps involved in your builds. I cant express enough how much your knowledge has helped me get by a few hurdles in the minor problems I have ran into. You may not be aware of this but a lot of us guys are slowly but surely learning(stealing) some of your methods (I like the cardboard template idea!) as you teach us.
A big personal THANK YOU for the knowledge that you have shared (and will hopefully continue to share), it is very inspiring to see what can be done with a little knowledge and a little bit of patience.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Greg

#9 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 04:38 PM

HI Ray, me again. That looks like it should fit the bill and work well!!
I am in the process of looking back through all of your build threads on this site and another that you have posted on. Your step by step info is great, your problem solving ability is excellent. I like the way you put the time and effort in to post and explain the many steps involved in your builds. I cant express enough how much your knowledge has helped me get by a few hurdles in the minor problems I have ran into. You may not be aware of this but a lot of us guys are slowly but surely learning(stealing) some of your methods (I like the cardboard template idea!) as you teach us.
A big personal THANK YOU for the knowledge that you have shared (and will hopefully continue to share), it is very inspiring to see what can be done with a little knowledge and a little bit of patience.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Greg

Thank you for the very moving comment, Greg.
As you all know, I have received a lot of "Thank yous" from a lot of the members here and on other forums and I really appreciate that you all enjoy my threads.
Being able to build things is a gift that God has given me and I've been putting pieces together for as long as I can remember.
Starting with my older brother, there have been several people over the years that I have learned a lot of things from.
I am grateful to them all for taking the time to help me along and I'm pleased that I can pass some of that help along to others.

I have always enjoyed building things and these internet forums have opened a whole new way for me get ideas from what other people are building out there.
These forums have also given me a new way to show off my projects and let others get ideas from what I build.

I consider myself a "hobby builder" in that I do it for the enjoyment and relaxation it gives me and not for any money that I've made from it.
I'm not as "high tech" as a lot of builders are and I design and build my projects more from the parts that I've spent a life time collecting rather than buying all new parts for each project.

I do enjoy the fact that I can show my projects to all of you and if you are able get some help for your own project, then that's all the better for both of us.
  • olcowhand, mjodrey, powerking56 and 5 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Ray, I'm sure there are a lot of us that share Greg's feeling toward your work. Whenever you start a build, I follow religiously to see what you will come up with. Thank you for sharing them with us. I'm am glad you take the time to document your work so that all us apprentices can learn from you. Keep up the awesome builds, they are great reading.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Great work as usual Ray, can't wait to see the paint on it. Thanks for sharing.

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:58 PM

I do use cardboard at times for making templates, but there's no way for me to do what you do Ray. #1, it takes tooling I do not have, #2, patience I don't have enough of #3, I do not have the skill level in metal fabbing required #4.... dozens of more reasons I will never attain such skills.
I do enjoy watching your builds Ray, even though you make me look like a chimp at fabbing things up. Definitely not things "even a cave man could do"! :D

Keep up the superb builds Ray! :worshippy1::worshippy2::thumbs:

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:59 PM

And BTW....on the color. I'm good with anything other than pink! LOL

#14 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 10:10 PM

And BTW....on the color. I'm good with anything other than pink! LOL

You got it .. even though this is being built as a tractor for my wife, I promise .. NO PINK !

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:18 AM

A big thank you for not painting it pink.:D